mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Stick with Enduro ? ? ?

Been off the bike for a few years now and want to get a new one.

I used to ride a 2004 Specialized Enduro with 130/120 mm suspension, but the new enduro bikes have much more travel.

Should I stick with an enduro type bike with more travel than I am used to? or should I get the equivalent travel in more of a trail bike?

I'm not a thrill seeker looking for huge drops or anything, and since I'm pushing 40 now, I don't think I'll ever get that crazy, but I do like to stick with mostly high speeds downhill with moderate technical stuff thrown in for fun. Not interested in fitness cross country stuff - I just want to ride and have fun.

My Medium framed Specialized Enduro was actually a little undersized for me at 6'-0" so I compensated with a longer stem. It worked, but I'm ready to get a new bike in Large now that I'm getting back into it.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by dagoof; 08-05-2018 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look at the 2019 Stumpjumper ST. With 2.6 29 tires(on the Expert regular non ST) it's more capable than your old bike. No more proprietary shock dimension either. 2.3 tires on the Carbon Comp ST.
    It also comes in a longer travel version. Specialized has lengthened the reach but you should test ride a L unless you have longer than average for your height legs. Short stems are the norm now. You can't really use a long stem anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SA2flNCCfk&t=73s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjY0XCaIGY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cLPXtzvlPw

mtbr member
    A modern 120/120 bike will be more capable than your old Enduro. A modern 160/160 bike will be massively different, and will still probably out climb your old bike.

You have a lot of options with new bikes, and I think they're all better than what you had. It's a good time to buy a bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Sorry. Meant to say 2004 Enduro - not sure how I got the year confused.

This is my old ride.

Stick with Enduro ? ? ?-2004-specialized-enduro-comp.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2004-Specialized-Enduro-Comp.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	1210974

I'll edit the original post.

Demon Cleaner
    i used to own a 2004 Enduro Expert. it was a nice bike in its day but really more of a trail bike than an “enduro” one. id recommend at least a couple demo day rides to get a feel for sizing and categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    My call is get a 150 rear, 160mm front travel 27.5" bike in size large.

It will be fantastic and do everything that you want it to do and more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So I was just starting to lean towards a Stumpjumper or Canyon Spectral, but decided to stop into the only bike shop we have in town.

They are adamant that I should stick with an Enduro, and also adamant that I should go with 29.

I'm kinda worried that jumping straight from a Medium frame on 26's with 120mm travel all the way to a Large frame on 29's with 170mm of travel might be too huge of a change for me.

I know I don't "need" that much bike, cuz I'm not a downhill racer or stunt jumper, but is there any reason to consider a smaller bike than the current Enduro?

I don't care about fitness or cross country racing, but I'm also not about to enter the Red Bull Rampage. I just want to have fun, fly down single track, and also enjoy the technical stuff when it comes up.

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah. 29 is probably good but certainly not not 170mm. One thing you might do is find and go on some group rides in the areas you like to ride and see what others are riding. I ride in the woods with sharp ups and downs, technical, and ending where we started. I'd say half the really experience riders are on hard tails and the other half on 100-130 mm FS bikes. I ride 120 FS as I'm older and can sit down a bit more.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I ride loop trails occasionally, but more often than not, I arrange to have someone drop us off at the top.

I used to love doing Porcipine Rim in Moab every spring if that means anything to you guys, but lately I head for downhill single track with a mixture of tight switchbacks winding through trees, bumps to hop off, smooth sections, and occasional technical patches.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Until this year I would stand on my soapbox and scream how useless enduro bikes are that can't climb and only are made for going downhill and not a slight bit of enjoying uphill.

designs are better with seat tube angles, suspension setups etc.

Im 49 and have a Ripmo on order and can't wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't know why the shop is so adamant about you getting a longer travel bike. From what you describe that's not what you need. Demo 27.5 and 29 to first determine what wheel size you'd lean towards.. and 130-150 rear travel is a good range to look at for a good all around trail bike (possibly a touch less for a 29er) Check other shops.. and don't rule out a year or two old used bike if you wanna stretch your money. Once you're more certain after test riding, definitely repost and we can help you with some options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I think either a trail bike or an enduro bike would work based on your self-described riding preferences. I think you're on the right track with a Stumpy or similar type of ride if you are going to start pedaling your climbs more in the future. Today's trail bikes are incredibly capable and will out downhill your old 2004 Enduro in spades. They also pedal amazingly well so maybe if you go that route, you'll be more inclined to pedal your climbs and increase your fitness (which could be a nice bonus).

Today's enduro bikes do pedal way better than you would think they could given their travel coming from an early 2000's perspective. If you think you're still going to mostly be doing shuttled rides, then an enduro bike might be the ticket. You'll still be able to pedal it when you do pedal your climbs, and the extra travel is a plus in most DH situations. If your local trails are pretty steep or chunky, or if you plan to hit the bike park regularly as well then the scales might tip towards enduro.

Wheel size is totally personal preference, and there is definitely a different feel to a 29er vs. 27.5. I feel pretty strongly that one is not better than the other, overall, but there are definitely advantages to each in certain types of trails and features (e.g., 29ers no question better for straight line speed downhill, 27.5 feels better in the air to me and accelerates faster out of corners and jumps, etc.). Read up a little on the advantage on each and make the choice that seems to fit best. Regardless, coming from an 04 Enduro to a 2018 or 2019 model is going to be a huge step forward.
    Last edited by Padlz; 08-07-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Misread your last post about getting shuttled most of the time

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks

mtbr member
    New geometry is longer lower and slacker. All new designs will feel like a bus to turn compared to your steep short 2004 frame. That said they will be sooooo much more capable once you relearn stearing response. After a couple of rides on the new geometry you will jump back on the old bike and think how did I ever ride this short steep twitchy beast.

Jumping to new geometry 27.5 will be a massive change. Going to 29 might just be too much. They are more bus like and less responsive than 27.5 and feel completely different to 26.

That said 29 does have some advantages. They are better pedalers, roll over bigger bumps easier. They are pretty much faster on easy track and straight chunky stuff, both up and down. But 29 is even slower to turn and the tighter and steeper the single track the worse they go.

So open wide fast 29er, tight twisty steep 27.5. In between theres a huge grey area that both designs rock and it comes down to preference and your local trail mix.

As for more or less travel. That will depend on the max gnar you want to ride and how tech your local trails are.
    120mm will be more snappy and fun on the easy stuff, but it will be challenging when it gets steap and tech.150mm gives you a good alround bike that can handle most trails.
    170mm has a lot of squish it will eat big lines up for breakfast. Infact they will be more capable than a 2004 dh bike. 170mm won't be as snappy on the easy stuff. To some degree it will make easy trails a bit dull.

All bikes even 170mm monster will climb better than your 2004 bike. Its amazing how big travel bikes pedal now.

If I was you I would ask myself what do I enjoy to ride the most?

Steep, tech, gnarly? 27.5 160+mm
    Twisty, tight not crazy gnarly buy some good chunk. 27.5 150mm.
    Chunky straighter faster. 29 150mm
    Flowing single track, open 29 120mm
    Flowing single track tight 27.5 120mm.

mtbr member
    If you felt like your 120mm enduro was capable, you should try a modern 120mm bike. It'll be quite a bit more capable, pedal better, climb better, and be more planted.

If thats the case, you'd probably feel like a modern enduro bike is grossly overkill for your trails. It'll flatten everything to the point of being boring.

If you found yourself being sketched out and in over your head often, you'd love a new, bigger bike.

mtbr member
    A modern 120, or so rear, would be more than sufficient based on your post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post

All new designs will feel like a bus to turn compared to your steep short 2004 frame.

Jumping to new geometry 27.5 will be a massive change. Going to 29 might just be too much.

170mm won't be as snappy on the easy stuff. To some degree it will make easy trails a bit dull.
    That's kinda what I've been afraid of.

I really liked my old enduro and though I would love to upgrade, I don't want to buy a huge monster truck just because that's what the new enduros have become.

I bought an enduro because I like to dabble in the technical chunck (alla Procupine Rim Moab) but I also like to be able to have fun, hop off stuff, and scream around tight turns through the woods.

Sounds like I don't really "need" an enduro anymore. Just gotta decide if I want to get more aggressive myself because the newer bike technology has allowed for more aggressive bikes.

mtbr member
    Try a stumpjumper. It sounds like what you're looking for.

The enduro has become a race bike. Its a big huge school bus of a plow bike these days.

mtbr member
    +1 on 'plummet' advice...

"Twisty, tight not crazy gnarly buy some good chunk. 27.5 150mm."

Lots of great choices. Just went from the 26" Heckler to the 27.5" Kona 153. My terrain is in this category and I'm on an XL frame. I was afraid an XL 29 would be too long in the tight terrain but wanted similar travel as the 150mm Heckler. The new geo is super fun and plenty nimble on tight NE singletrack...even though it's heavier than my Heckler it climbs awesome (no lift accessed riding). Newer bikes are great...I'm 58 and riding challenging terrain as confidently as I ever have.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

I think I'm going to order a Canyon Spectral unless someone can talk me out of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Spectral's supposed to be a good bike..I read something about a slow engaging rear hub which might not bother you but thought I'd mention it. Not sure of your budget but take a look at the 2018 giant trance 2.. Great spec for the money.

mtbr member
    I'd look at YT's before ordering a canyon. And commencal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just got a Bulls Wild Cup 3 with 150mm of travel front/rear and 27.5 wheels. My last full suspension bike was a '99 K2. For the past few years I've been riding hartails. OMG, to say there's a huge difference is an understatement!

I thought it might be too much travel but I was wrong. It really helps take the "beating" out of the rough stuff (I'm approaching 50yrs. of age). I have the ability to lockout the front/rear suspension, but I rarely feel the need to do it...despite having almost 6" of travel, it doesn't feel like a pogo stick.

I've never ridden an enduro bike, but given the capabilities of this trail bike, not sure I'd ever need that much more suspension...