mtbr member
    Jan 2012

steve peat modded weirwolf with cedric xc rear. wheww fun!!!!

Took a weirwolf tire and cut out every other transition knob. Alot of people sketch on the weirwolves squirmyness especially when transitioning into the side knobs. So i did an experiment by gettin rid of some of the sqirmy knobs so the tire would get rite in to side knobs. now the tire begs you to lay the bike over more so now. In combination with the cedric xc tire which rolls and climbs awesome, and has widely spaced side knobs that will drift a little more than the trimmed weirwolf. What a combo. You can feel a little push in the front as you start to turn while getting into the side knobs, but once you realize they are there and hold; you can just get aggressive and start laying over and pushing into um. This aggressive style gets you whippin the rear. I actually like it as you dont have to wait on the rear in tight spots. compared to my last pairing of tires i was having some problems with under steer. This set up is way opposite. No more under steer. Its hot and loose when its supposed to be.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 03-13-2013 at 01:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Heres some pics of the tread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steve peat modded weirwolf with cedric xc rear. wheww fun!!!!-2013-03-12-23.35.15.jpg  

steve peat modded weirwolf with cedric xc rear. wheww fun!!!!-2013-03-12-23.35.33.jpg  

steve peat modded weirwolf with cedric xc rear. wheww fun!!!!-2013-03-12-23.36.26.jpg  

steve peat modded weirwolf with cedric xc rear. wheww fun!!!!-2013-03-12-23.36.08.jpg  

steve peat modded weirwolf with cedric xc rear. wheww fun!!!!-2013-03-13-00.13.46.jpg  

steve peat modded weirwolf with cedric xc rear. wheww fun!!!!-2013-03-13-00.13.27.jpg  

Last edited by akiracornell; 03-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.

I'm with stupid
    Interesting, Let us know how it goes in the longer run. I have 2 weirwolf just collecting dust. Not because of the way the tire performed in cornering. The fact that they were almost 1000g and small 2.3 I could not get over how tiny they looked when I looked down for how much weight they added to my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thought id give an update but actually on another setup. In search of the best cornering tires I recently tried the so highly recomended dhf 2.5 frnt / dhf 2.35 rear combo. Hands down super stable and predictable. 22psi frnt and 28psi rear. There are times and places where i prefer some looserness though, as my trails arnt super high speed and dont quite demand this combo. it held everything. Dont get me wrong its a bad azz setup i willl still use. and for how aggressive the tread is it actually pedals decent. but again my trail demands could afford me somthing qicker rolling. The way im starting to see it is that i'm gonna have multiple sets depending on my mood and the demands of the trails.

Now im in search of my next set, still with emphasis on cornering characteristics and secondarily speed.

Btw for those interested in minion dhfs. the dhf 2.35 maxxpro runs even smaller than the weirwolf 2.3. more like 2.16 on a caliper. Thats why i went for the 2.5 upfront which seems more true to size; as it dwarfs the 2.35 by definatly more than .15 inches. plus it has much bigger meatier knobs. too bad ther isnt an actual 2.3 minion. Well sorry all for the superfluous information all.

anyone feel free to throw out some good rolling cornering suggestions. maybe in the less than 800 gram territory true to 2.3. i ride alot of so call hardpack loose cover, sand, dg, and good loam also.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-08-2013 at 01:43 AM.