Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Stepping up my game.

The guy I ride with just ordered a new sx trail. Now itís my turn to get a new bike. I really like the sx but I do not want to get the same bike he has. Looking to something similar in every way including price. What do you guys think would be a good setup for me. looking for around 6Ē of travel but still want to be able to climb with it. Want to stay around 35lbs. Some suggestions would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nomad.

mtbr member
    Nomad.

MattSavage
    Remedy
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nomad, Remedy, Reign X (most cost effective, also pedals the best), pivot firebird (looks absolutely sick, and probably pedals better then the Reign X)

gringo-fied facsimiles
    nomad = 2 yr warrenty
    pivot = 2 yr warrenty
    sx = lifetime on front 1 year on chainstay and seatstay
    reign = lifetime
    remedy = lifetime + 5 year on bontrager parts
    reign and remedy are most cost effective and have best backing from the company.
    my.02
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Get the remedy, it looks really nice. If you are building it up you have a ton of color options

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy6631
    Get the remedy, it looks really nice. If you are building it up you have a ton of color options
    except they don't sell the remedy as a frame only.

banned
    Feb 2009
    Chumba EVO?
    Last edited by si@progressivebikes; 03-13-2009 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Reign X...like others have said it is the best value. I own an Enduro Pro(non SL) and am trying to convince my bud to buy a Reign as well.

mtbr member

Reign X

If your buddy got an sx, you will want a reign x. Remedys are sweet, but won't be able to handle as much as a Reign X, and can't even be considered with the sx trail. Go read in the Trek forums about people using the Remedy for freeride, they are breaking frames and blowing shocks. Reign X is a sick ride and will still pedal better than your buddies SX.
    sewelldirect.com

wait...what?
    reign x

MC MasterShake
    Knolly Delirium T. 6"+ of travel. Adjustable geometry, adjustable chainstays. Stiffer than the SX and will climb better too. Building it to 35lbs would be tricky but can be done.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Quote Originally Posted by c6corvettezo6
    If your buddy got an sx, you will want a reign x. Remedys are sweet, but won't be able to handle as much as a Reign X, and can't even be considered with the sx trail. Go read in the Trek forums about people using the Remedy for freeride, they are breaking frames and blowing shocks. Reign X is a sick ride and will still pedal better than your buddies SX.
    Whoa. There is one (1) person (thus not people) that broke one Remedy frame. And, unless you prove me wrong, no one is blowing shocks. What's happening is that the RP with the high volume chamber bottoms out easy.

Talk about making a story out of nothing.

With that said, the Reign X is (on paper) a stronger bike.

mtbr member
    I am not trying to rip on the remedy, like i said, it is a sweet bike. It doesn't compare to the sx trail in any way though. It is the essence of an all mountain bike, climb well, descend fast.

That being said, the reign x is stronger in real life too, not just on paper. You sacrifice weight for that strength. Between the reign x and the remedy, the reign x is much more comparable tot he sx trail than the remedy.

As far as blown shocks and broken frames, my friend did both in the same month. I will see if I can get some pictures from him, but it was on some big ladder drops. My reign x and my other buddies nomad were fine on them. Might have been the rider more than the bike, but the remedy got worked. If you are really smooth you will be fine, if you are just getting into light freeride and heavier stuff, you probably won't be too smooth though.

You could just get an sx trail like your buddy too, they are sweet bikes.
    sewelldirect.com

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    I said on paper, because I have no experience with that bike.

Is your friend the one that posted on the Trek forum, or is that a different case?

Freeriding the Remedy means pushing it to its limits. It's going to be easy to push above what it can do. Specially if the rider is not light and smooth.

mtbr member
    he's already beat ya to it. just beat him to it next time

*Contents Under Pressure
    A remedy is not a 35 lb bike nor was it meant to be ridden like one. If you are going to be going up and coming down with some light freeride in between the sub-30 lb remedy would be great. if you are doing serious freeride and you live to throw your bike off stuff then the trek is not advised. Knolly Delirium T, Canfield the one, and my personal dream AM frame.. the Corsair Marque (http://www.corsairbikes.com/fly.aspx...=bike&taxid=61) are all fantastic choices.. really i dont think you can go wrong. Ride as many as you can and pick the one that feels best.
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Flying Goat
    Throw the Chumba Evo in the mix for sure...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    nomad = 2 yr warrenty
    pivot = 2 yr warrenty
    sx = lifetime on front 1 year on chainstay and seatstay
    reign = lifetime
    remedy = lifetime + 5 year on bontrager parts
    reign and remedy are most cost effective and have best backing from the company.
    my.02
    You forgot IH 6Point = no warranty

mtbr member
    Transition Preston FR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotfeat1227
    A remedy is not a 35 lb bike nor was it meant to be ridden like one. If you are going to be going up and coming down with some light freeride in between the sub-30 lb remedy would be great. if you are doing serious freeride and you live to throw your bike off stuff then the trek is not advised.
    Tell that to Brandon Semenuk.

The frame will take similar abuse to a Nomad, the stock builds are just too light for people to realise it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    why no love for the regular reign? its 6 inches, and should out-climb a reign x.

The Other Dude
    The SX Trail is hard to beat.....possibly get another version of it to get a different color? Or buy the black frame build it up yourself? If the SX Trail is totally out of the question my order would be the Trek Remedy as a close 2nd, and the Nomad in 3rd.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm happy with my Jamis XAM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast