Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

stem, what kind?

ok I have a 03 dakar xlt and want to put a shorter stem on. right now it is 110mm and I would like to go with a 90mm. It seems that most stems are xc or dh/fr, I want something that will handle some abuse and I don't realy care about weight. what stems are you guys useing and why?

not so super...
    Thomson...is there really any other logical choice?

Well...maybe a Hope
    Last edited by SSINGA; 04-26-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Thomson...is there really any other logical choice?
    Lol! I have a Thomson X4 (oversize) and it's great. But I think you should also look at Race Face, Easton, Ritchey.

Your bike is incorrigible

Seriously

You can find a decent stem for around $50. If you go to bluesky.com, then you can pick up a Thomson in any size for $65. You have to ask yourself if you want to drive a Hyundai or a Ferrari. When the price difference is only $15, then the choice should be obvious.

I've had my Thomson on two bikes. It's a regular old Elite, not oversized or anything fancy. I've pounded the crap out of it, and it still looks brand new. When it comes time to buy another stem (only because I want a different length or rise), then the only stem I'm going to even look at is Thomson.

Ride on
    Jan 2004

Old Easton EA70

I replaced my 110mm stem with a 90mm hinged Easton EA70. This stem is pretty burly and I definitely prefer the length. And it cost a lot less than a Thomson.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    THOMSON! period..... I have a 100mm on my XLT 2...Great sexy looking piece of aluminum....
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I actually just bought a sette stumpy at like 90mm and love it. it is pretty heavy, but burly as it gets with sette

ride hard take risks
    Race Face loves a beating.

mtbr member

mtbr member

stem

Quote Originally Posted by hizzity
    They got your size and the price is right.Gor for it.I think you'll see some improved handling going down the trail.Let us know.

I already rode that
    Just grab a Thomson stem then cause its light and stiff. But at 90mm length most stems are going to be stiff enough anyways unless you are looking at some weight weenie or carbon stem.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

eBiker
    I think a Thomson stem fills the gap between XC and FR/DH like no other.

I had a flexy 04 forged Easton EA50 and was a little concerned, I have since ponied up for a Thomson and have forgotten about any worries and flex. I would not have paid the $$$ for a Thomson but nothing else fits it's nitch.

Mr. P

thats right living legend
    Thomson there really IS no other. You'll wish you had...trust me.

MTB B'dos
    If you're looking there and depending on the colour you want they have HOPE stems for $50 http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...tain+Stem.aspx

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    so which thomson stem is the best the elite or the elite 4x?

The Elit's standared and the 4x's oversized. So wich ever you prefer...

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have the Elite and see no need for going with the 4X. If you are looking to save weight the 4X might be for you, but I think that the elite will do you just fine.

Bike to the Bone...
    It depends on which handlebar you have. The Elite is for the standard bars, and the 4X is for the oversized ones.

The Silver just loooks amazing, but that's my preferences. Black ones are ALMOST as fast

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    has anyone here ever broken a stem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    60 mm 10 degree rise...this woke my bike up like crazy...from xc into FR...easy manuals and wheelies, can get my butt way back for steep descents...yhour thinking correctly, cockpit can make a huge difference in how a bike handles
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    has anyone here ever broken a stem?

Stems do break, I once met a guy with an Azonic DH stem on a Treck Fuel. I was like that's an odd choice, and he told me the last one he had broke, and he knocked out all the teeth in the front of his mouth and broke his nose. Good reason to switch to the DH stem.

I've never heard of a Thomson breaking. A guy I ride with had his bike fall off his rack going down the highway, wich was than run over by an 18wheeler. The "ONLY" thing that survived was his Thomson wth 1 scratch. He won't use it, or give it to anyone to use for obvious reasons, but looking at it I'de use it. I mean 1 scratch, the rest still not even a scuff.

mtbr member
    ok I ordered a thomson Elite along with some other goodies I have been wanting to get from Jenson usa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

MTB B'dos
    Well I prefer the normal Elite for 25.4mm HBs 'cause it has the hidden bolt and nothing really to whack your knee etc on if you come into contact wwith them stem. Unfortunately I "knicked" a 31.4mm stem & HB off a guy and really I guess like the look of the 31.4 (looks more sturdy to me) so I'm going that way from now on.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Stems do break, I once met a guy with an Azonic DH stem on a Treck Fuel. I was like that's an odd choice, and he told me the last one he had broke, and he knocked out all the teeth in the front of his mouth and broke his nose. Good reason to switch to the DH stem.

I've never heard of a Thomson breaking. A guy I ride with had his bike fall off his rack going down the highway, wich was than run over by an 18wheeler. The "ONLY" thing that survived was his Thomson wth 1 scratch. He won't use it, or give it to anyone to use for obvious reasons, but looking at it I'de use it. I mean 1 scratch, the rest still not even a scuff.
    so , 1 guy told you he broke one? but did he tell you what brand and how it broke?
    I've never heard of anyone breaking one (at leats not a name brand)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast