Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Huckin' trails

Stem spacer height

Hi,

Had new seat post, RaceFace Deus, and I realize that I cannot clamp it in the graphics area, because it's not made strong enough in that zone to support stress (so they can make the seat post even lighter - 260 g @ 400mm ).

Now I have to raise my stem in order to have proper position. The thing is I do not have a lot of choices for the spacers, as I have to use the ones I already had installed, but rearrange the order (I'm at my summer home, so not much parts around).

I've read somewhere that you should not use more then a X number of spacers or more then X mm height to preserve the stability and prevent any parts failures, etc.

So how high can I go ? Is this setup ok ?

Pics of how I did it.

Thanks,

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stem spacer height-imageuploadedbytapatalk1312306454.243573.jpg  

Stem spacer height-imageuploadedbytapatalk1312306504.081109.jpg  

Last edited by David C; 08-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

usually cranky
    stem spacers look fine.

Huckin' trails
    Here's the new setup. I used 2 alu and 3 carbon.

10mm alu
    15mm carbon
    15mm carbon
    15mm carbon
    10mm alu

65mm spacer height. 2,5mm left between the top cap and the steering tube in the stem.

My concern is really about stiffness and that the carbon does not crack.

I'm worry a little that the carbon may cause some play in the headset in long term due to his flexibility, but I had many hours on it and winter riding and it doesn't cracked (I had the 3 carbon spacers over the stem before).

Pics below.

Thanks,

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stem spacer height-imageuploadedbytapatalk1312308130.729938.jpg  

Stem spacer height-imageuploadedbytapatalk1312308191.933398.jpg  

topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

usually cranky
    why would it crack? there is a slight downward pressure on it. other than that no forces should act on it if you have everything installed right.

Picture Unrelated
    The bending load will be put through the steer tube mostly, the spacers are mostly just there to preload the headset, that's not a large force.

What did you mean by "I realize that I cannot clamp it in the graphics area", that's really throwing me off. What were you trying to do with your seatpost and why does that affect your stem? I think I must be reading something wrong.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've read in Rockshox manuals that recommend no more than 30 mm of spacers beneath the stem. I'm assuming because of the extra stress on the steerer and more leverage on the headtube. I haven't read/heard anything from frame manufacturers about it, but I would trust Rockshox. That said, if you aren't too heavy or aggressive, I've seen people run stems higher than yours...

mtbr member
    I would rather run a different seatpost, than having to run that many spacers to get your fit. I know that doesn't help with your question, so yes, your current setup should be fine.

I am curious why you bought that seatpost if it didn't fit your initial application. I see many other areas that you could have swapped out for weight savings. Also, did you add an extension to the steer tube, or was the oe tube that long?
    Maintain internal heights.

Stray Bullet
    I would run a different bike!

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I've read in Rockshox manuals that recommend no more than 30 mm of spacers beneath the stem. I'm assuming because of the extra stress on the steerer and more leverage on the headtube. I haven't read/heard anything from frame manufacturers about it, but I would trust Rockshox. That said, if you aren't too heavy or aggressive, I've seen people run stems higher than yours...
    The same for Fox forks, no more than 30mm. I wouldn't ride my bike with 65mm of spacers...

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    What did you mean by "I realize that I cannot clamp it in the graphics area", that's really throwing me off. What were you trying to do with your seatpost and why does that affect your stem? I think I must be reading something wrong.
    Hey all, thanks for the responses.

First, I bought this seat post for weight saving and looks, as I also had a great deal on it. I did not realize that I could not clamp it over the beginnings of the "RaceFace" graphics, because the instructions that came with the seat post says that this area is weaker in order to save weight (could not support the clamp compression). So I have to run it high. Doesn't matter since I'm tall enough, but I had to raise the stem to be in a good position for riding.

Next, yep, it's from my RockShock manual that I read that. Thanks, now I remember

So for the stress, it was about the leverage on the headset that might cause a slight bend in the whole spacer assembly that may cause cracking in the carbon, considering that its the weaker piece of the setup. I'm about 110 lbs and 5'6" (maybe more) and I like to beat the bike once in a while, but otherwise, I do not ride completely stiff and not helping the bike when taking hits.

So I think I'm gonna give it a try. And no, it's not that I do not want another bike, it's that the bank doesn't want to.

Oh, and yes, it's the full steering tube that run all the way, with 2,5mm left before the top cap. The reason why I did not cut it short is because I use this cockpit on another bike during the winter (to keep the cost down and get a better bike one day )

Thanks all,

David

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    First, I bought this seat post for weight saving and looks, as I also had a great deal on it. I did not realize that I could not clamp it over the beginnings of the "RaceFace" graphics, because the instructions that came with the seat post says that this area is weaker in order to save weight (could not support the clamp compression). So I have to run it high. Doesn't matter since I'm tall enough, but I had to raise the stem to be in a good position for riding.
    So you're saying you were running your seat too low before? The primary thing here is to get yourself setup for proper leg extension first. Then you worry about bar height.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    So you're saying you were running your seat too low before? The primary thing here is to get yourself setup for proper leg extension first. Then you worry about bar height.
    Yep.

mtbr member
    This. Get your saddle high enough to pedal comfortably, otherwise its pointless to worry about the rest of the cockpit.

I've always heard no more than 40mm of spacers. And you shouldnt have to worry about the carbon spacers since they're not loaded at all, personally I'd run a higher rise stem and riser bars rather than 65mm of spacers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    that may cause cracking in the carbon, considering that its the weaker piece of the setup.
    I think you need to get over this assumption which probably isn't even true. As some others have said those warnings about the amount of spacers are to prevent damage to the steerer tube, which is the part that sees the vast majority of the stress. I personally haven't had a single problem with the 20-25mm of carbon spacers I've run at times and I'm much bigger than you. I'm sure it's been done somewhere, but I've actually never heard of anyone breaking a spacer at all, carbon or aluminum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Yep.
    This thread makes me cry inside.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I like the 200mm disk brake in the back and v brake in the front. I've never seen that before How do you change gears in the front with no derailleur?

Huckin' trails
    Lol, I was not running my seat too low before, I did not had my seat post xD, so I had to get the stem simply basic. Now that I have my seat post, I can adjust the stem. And no, the seat post is not too high. it's just perfect.

Thanks anyway,

David

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    I think you need to get over this assumption which probably isn't even true. As some others have said those warnings about the amount of spacers are to prevent damage to the steerer tube, which is the part that sees the vast majority of the stress. I personally haven't had a single problem with the 20-25mm of carbon spacers I've run at times and I'm much bigger than you. I'm sure it's been done somewhere, but I've actually never heard of anyone breaking a spacer at all, carbon or aluminum.
    Thanks. I was just not really sure, since I do not have a lot of experience with carbon fiber components

Thanks,

David

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    I like the 200mm disk brake in the back and v brake in the front. I've never seen that before How do you change gears in the front with no derailleur?
    Well, I'm on a budget for the bike, and I had to put disc in the back, as the frame cannot take v-brake, otherwise it would have been v-brake. But for the front, it's because I use all the front components for a winter bike, so I just switch everything back when winter comes... I would love to have a disc up front, but I also have a Freeride bike, so this one is more for training then super performance.

And up front, well, I just forgot my fd at home , so meanwhile, I stay on the middle or switch by hand (my chain is super clean )

Thanks,

David

Huckin' trails
    But 203mm at the back is nice

mtbr member
    I was just giving you a hard time about the brakes. If it's just a trainer/ around town bike I wouldn't worry about the spacers your not going to be putting that much stress on the steerer tube any way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This thread makes me cry inside.
    No, I was just agreeing with what you said. It's not my bike. Don't cry!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    I was just giving you a hard time about the brakes. If it's just a trainer/ around town bike I wouldn't worry about the spacers your not going to be putting that much stress on the steerer tube any way.
    Yea, but I like arguing xD

My worries are ok now.

But for info, those v-brakes up front are even more powerful then mech disc, even during snowing winter... So I will stick with them anyway, as they save me weight and money.

And for the one who asked about the weight saving feature, I only tried to get the best components for the price range I had. So far, it must be around 27 lbs.

1:40 AM local time. Getting up at 7:00 AM for riding. Get you info after the ride.

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    "Yea, but I like arguing xD"

Well in that case your pick a part bike is ugly as hell! And your steerer tube is going to break in half if you ride it like that

mtbr member
    as i know, in manuals for forks they write recommender spacer stack height, i use 25mm and high top cap of the headset.
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast