Thread: Stem Rise

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Stem Rise

I just got my new bike (A Nomad)-shes purdy- and I have a 70 degree stem with zero rise. I want my bars to be a little higher. I dont have enought shock post left for putting anymore spacers below the stem. I was thinking about a 5 or 6 degree rise with the length still at 70mm. Will I feel any dif. with 5 or 6 degree rise or do I need to go to 10 degree rise. Normally I would not post this type of question because I would just go to the local shop and try it out but the shop does not carry this length with any rise.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    M.C.tigre

Your bike is incorrigible
    You have three options:
    1. Handlebars with more rise.
    2. A different make of stem with a lower stack height so you can fit more spacers.
    3. The option you mention.

Or you could do a combination of these. I would still go down to the shop and try out a different make of stem with different rises. Even if it's not the stem you want to go with, you'll be able to tell how much rise you need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thompson makes a 15 degree rise stem. I'm not sure it comes in a 70mm, but it'll give you a lot of rise w/o replacing your bars. I love mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had kindof a similer decision to make a bit ago. Ive been upgrading my Trek 6000....with all the money i spent on other stuff....i didnt want to ditch a perfectly good Icon straight bar with the matching bar ends i bought for it....but I wanted more height for downhill control. I ended up getting a Delta stem with 45 degree rise beleive it or not...i believe its 70 or 80mm. Problem solved...for me at least..
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions, I already have a FSA DH Carbon 1.5inch rise with good sweep back. The stem is a beautiful Thompson 70mm. Thompson does not make this in a rise of any kind. I like the length but Im still wandering if I will feel any diff. between a 5/6 degree rise or a 10 degree which I know I will. Iguess I need to go to the shop and try out them on 90mm lengths and then see what manufacturers make it in a 70mm. Oh well thanks for the suggestions.
    M.C.tigre