Thread: Stem Q

mtbr member

Stem Q

I just built a fs ride for am / minor DH . I find myself to hunched over puting more body wieght over my front wheel, riding on rocky terrain my current stem is a 100 mm 6 deg. My arms Are fully extended , so should I get a stem that is shorter with more deg rise or a longer stem with more deg rise ?
    Thank you for advice.

greedy
    You mean you have to hunch over to keep weight on the front or you riding position feels hunched over. A 100 mm stem is considered by many to be very long for an AM/DH rig. Everything is personal preference, but if you feel overextended I would shorten up the stem a bit. I think you will also see that a shorter stem will make the bike feel more stable and lively when things get technical and start going down.

There are a ton of threads on here about the AM movement to shorter stems and wider bars.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

usually cranky
    you need a shorter stem, if you like the height your bars are at stick with more or less the same rise.

mtbr member
    I feel hunched over period. And rocky terrain isnt helping. What is the norm you all use. I have a wide lowriser bar , but the stem seems to all rong.

mtbr member
    I switched from a ~80mm stem to a 50mm, and it made a lot of difference. Going down is a lot better. Amazing what 30mm did for the handling and my positioning on the bike. It does make the steering a bit more wandery ion the climbs, but the steering feels much more accurate and responsive with less need to actually turn the bars as much. Oh, and with a short stem, it's advisable to have a nice and wide set of bars.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S
    I feel hunched over period. And rocky terrain isnt helping. What is the norm you all use. I have a wide lowriser bar , but the stem seems to all rong.
    You'll just have to try some. I went from 100 to 90 and now 70. If I were you I'd try lan 80 and go down from there. You want to make a pretty big change, but not drastic. You may need to buy a couple of stems or see if your LBS will loan you some. Truvativ aka's can be bought for $25-$30 on ebay. Once you make a swap, give it some time before you decide if you like it or not. It will be much different or even weird at first, especially if your background is mainly xc.

mtbr member
    What about the deg of the stem. Mine is6 deg.

mtbr member
    What brand is a no brainer su.
    re thing . I have a easton ea 50.

greedy
    What about the deg of the stem. Mine is6 deg.
    A higher degree will make you sit more upright, but I would stay with about the same rise and just shorten it up, See what that does for you. 6 degree rise is what I have and that light of a rise feels good to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    you should never run anything longer than a 50mm stem . only longer for you xc types.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just thinking out loud, but say to have the same amount of rise, a 50mm stem would needs to be 12 degree compared to a 100mm 5 degree stem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer
    Just thinking out loud, but say to have the same amount of rise, a 50mm stem would needs to be 12 degree compared to a 100mm 5 degree stem?
    That what im thinking , dosnt a shorter stem need a a bit higher deg to prop you up ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That what im thinking , dosnt a shorter stem need a a bit higher deg to prop you up ?
    not really, again is all about personal preference, if you ride such rocky terrain, try a riser bar + a short stem....

mtbr member

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer

yes, but we dont need you clutering up mtbr with your fancy math.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp
    you should never run anything longer than a 50mm stem . only longer for you xc types.
    sure.

OP-
    What is the bike, what size is it, what fork do you have on it, how tall are you?