Thread: Stem help

mtbr member
    May 2011

Stem help

Looking to get a stem under $50. I am 6 foot maybe 6'2. I want to start riding more DH/AM and slowly transforming my hardtail. Picking up Sunline v1 711mm with 1.5 rise. looking for a stem now... what degree and lenght is good for technical riding?
    was thinking like 70-80mm. my current one is some generic 100mm.

mtbr member
    you could easily go wider on the bars and depending on your tt length you maybe able to go 60mm on the stem length. hard to say without knowing your set-up. but back to your question...Azonic makes nice stems for around $50. full on DH on a hardtail, hunh? your kung fu must be good. probably wouldn't skimp too much on parts for that kinda riding if you want atleast few runs on a nasty fun line.
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Couldnt find any 1.5 riser bars i liked in the 750mm and i feel like that might be too long. Not like serious serious DH but some trails here have some crazy steep hills and want better steering and what not. maybe the 30mm havoc - they come in at 750mm but i sort of like the 38mm sunline v1 at 711mm. dont want carbon bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stem help-2011-07-26_18-25-33_724.jpg  

mtbr member
    i'd still try longer bars just because you can cut 'em down. deity has very nice durable components that are priced well. worth the look. if you like the rise and sweep of the Suns the deity's I believe have the same. have fun & send it safely!
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    i think the reason you dont have more help is because for a lot of ppl this becomes a complicated decision and you havnt given a ton of info to help.

its not an isolated part on your bike. depends on how your current setup fits and what your goals are

hard to say w/o knowing what your current fit is like, but my WAG (wild-ass-guess) is that youre fairly big for that bike. in that case going super short stem could be bad. you may feel real comfortable in the 750mm bar range with a 50-80mm stem...but im really just ballparking without knowing more. see the issue with helping you now?

mtbr member
    Wider bars and shorter stem doesnt really change your weight distribution but it will bring those bars that much close when you're standing up and hammering up a steep hill.

My advice, get on Ebay and look for cheap knockoff stems until you find one that fits. Once you find the length you like, splurge on a nice stem. Your LBS may even have a variety of takeoff stems in the back that they'd loan out.

That Scott looks nice but you might be better off getting a burlier frame/fork/wheels if you're planning on some serious downhill. And remember first and foremost, mtbing is more about the skills then the bike.

Safety is a consideration and that's why a lot of us build bikes burlier and heavier than necessary . . .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think im going to get the havoc 750mm (cut them if too long since they arent carbob) and get a 80mm stem. im a tall guy and about 215lbs. i feel like anything shorter then the 80mm then ill be riding a clown bike. now just gotta find out if i get the 6 or 10 degree rise. the lbs dont have any parts to try they said and dont really measure....