mtbr member

New question here. Stem and/or bar upgrade

Everytime I ride for half an hour or more, I feel this numbness in my hands. I'm sure it has something to do with the way I ride the bike, since I'm leaned on my hands too much.

The seat is adjusted fine, my legs are straight when the pedals are at 6 oclock so I'm thinking about fixing something about the handlebar.

I tried out my friends DB Response bike, frame 21 like mine, but with another handlebar and some ergonomic grips. The difference was awesome. I didn't even know the handlebar was aftermarket, he told me after I finished my test drive.

Riding on that bike was really different than riding my bike (Fuji Nevada 4.0), he does have some Selle Royal Respiro saddle but I dont think thats the difference. He is almost the same heights as me, 6'2.

My questions is, should I upgrade my stem or the handlebar?

Looking at the specs of my bike (http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/nevada_4_0) it says that the stem length is 120 mm and that the handlebar is Fuji Riser 20 Alloy Riser Bar.

Should I just buy another stem with higher angle getting the handlebar higher up, or is buying higher handlebar better option?

Thanks
    Squaring the circles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Depending on where your numbness is distributed you may be getting carpal tunnel symptoms from median nerve compression.

Firstly I'd try a similar pair of grips as to your friends version. Ergonomic grips make good sense and there seems to be a fair bit of anecdotal evidence that they work....and it sounds like they may have worked for you.

Here's some alternatives

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gx1-leichtbau

Regarding the bar/stem combo - I'd try changing the grips first, and if there's no difference, maybe look at your friend's bar/stem combo. Importantly - only change one thing at a time so at least you know what works.

There could literally be hundreds of adjustments to your riding setup that may affect your hands but try the grips first and take it from there.

The most promising thing is at least you know your friend's set up was an improvement - so there is hope for you!

mtbr member
    i use to get this numbness feeling when riding my motorcycle. A buddy told me it was from the vibration of the engine... just a shot in the dark.. hope it helps.

mtbr member
    that may work for you as it work for me: www.esigrips.com/