mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Stem + Bar change - advice needed

Hi
    I currently running 70mm stem with 711mm bar combo on my Covert and want to switch for something wider 740-760mm for more high speed stability. which stem to go for 60mm or 50mm ??
    I'm feeling a bit too much on the front on my current setup but I dont want to go too short cause the front wheel might start to wonder on the climbs.
    Cheers
    T

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tsuful View Post
    Hi
    I currently running 70mm stem with 711mm bar combo on my Covert and want to switch for something wider 740-760mm for more high speed stability. which stem to go for 60mm or 50mm ??
    I'm feeling a bit too much on the front on my current setup but I dont want to go too short cause the front wheel might start to wonder on the climbs.
    Cheers
    T
    Get both - you should be able to find Truvativ ones for cheap enough to have one of each to dial in fit, then if you are set on getting a certain brand/color/etc...you can be sure it will fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Get both - you should be able to find Truvativ ones for cheap enough to have one of each to dial in fit, then if you are set on getting a certain brand/color/etc...you can be sure it will fit.
    its prabobly the best thing to do but not an option for me . thanks anyway
    anyone else ?? maybe someone did similar switch recently and wanna share his thoughts ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Flip a coin.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tsuful View Post
    its prabobly the best thing to do but not an option for me . thanks anyway
    anyone else ?? maybe someone did similar switch recently and wanna share his thoughts ?
    OK, then go 50mm. I've never NOT cleaned something due to stem length - you can change your climbing technique to compensate and keep the front end lower. This all comes down to:
    1. Personal preference
    2. Setup (ie: stem stack height, bar rise/sweep, stem spacer config, etc)

All those factors mean that NO ONE here will be able to tell you which will be better for you, as everyone runs different setups with different body parts.

If you cannot do 2, I'd get the biggest gap between sizes possible. Then, if you don't like it, you've used the bracketing method effectively to narrow down what will work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    why is getting two stems not an option. funny that you come here and ask a question but when you get an answer you provide very little information in response. Is it cost? if you are in the USA then ebay or the classifieds can be a great way to get cheap parts. I just sold 2 stems for $40 that cost me $70, doing the same thing that you are trying to do.

Can always try a local shop to see if they have anything cheap lying around. Could also post this in your local forum and see if someone will give you a hand.

As far as experience with 50mm stems, I went from a 70mm to a 50mm then a 60mm stem trying to to get my reach set where I wanted it. I was running 710mm bars and didn't change them. The 50mm was too short for me but not because it hindered climbing. It just made the front a tad bit twitchy. If you are jumping to 740 - 760mm bars, you should be OK with the move to a 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    why is getting two stems not an option. funny that you come here and ask a question but when you get an answer you provide very little information in response. Is it cost? if you are in the USA then ebay or the classifieds can be a great way to get cheap parts. I just sold 2 stems for $40 that cost me $70, doing the same thing that you are trying to do.
    sorry for giving You that impression. English isn't my first language and its hard some times to fully express myself .
    I dont consider buying 2 stems cause i dont want to be stuck with sth that i dont really need, especially in now-days when I'm trying to sell few part that i dont need and theres no interest for few months now. so thats that one
    I asked the question here hoping not for a perfect answer like "You need to use 52.5mm stem and 734mm bar" but more like a hint.
    That info that I've got from You and CharacterZero is what I was looking for so thanks for that!

sorry I couldn't be more clear at the start.

T

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Stem length is a personal thing. We can recommend all day long, but what works for you may differ. Buying 2 stems is ideal because say you just bought the 60mm and were happy with it, then a while later you tried a 50mm and it was way better. Then you realize how long you missed out on a more ideal riding position. Not being able to unload a 2nd stem for a few months is a small price to pay in comparison. Also, in a world of big $ forks, wheels, frames etc, a stem is damn near the cheapest part on a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I suggest you meditate at the top of a tall mountain. The answer will come to you.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.