mtbr member
    Mar 2008

steer tube length

Hey fellas I just switched my parts to a diffrent frame, and my steer tube seems to be a little short. The top bolt on the stem is halfway across the top of the tube. Seems to tighten up and bottom bolt is tight, Do you think this is ok? Or am I asking for problems? Funds are a little tight so a new fork is out of the question and cant ride trails for another 3 months due to knee injury, so it will be just road riding for now, I know on the road just peddling it will be fine, the trail is what I am asking about. I have heard that it should be ok, but want opinions have you had this happen to you and how was it.

mtbr member
    Personally I dont like that sort of thing. Look into a zero stack headset or possibly different stem. You could also look into having a new steer tube pressed in...weigh out the costs/benefits

mtbr member
    No doubt someone's gonna say this is no big deal, go for it. Not me. This is a pretty critical area that needs to function as intended. I agree with RipRoar, find a zero stack headset if you don't have one already. This will buy back about 8 - 10mm of steer tube, which sounds about what you need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks fellas I am gonna look into a zero stack HS, I didnt know those were made. I am gonna check into it today.

mtbr member
    The Zero-stack will work fine, but only if your frame's headtube is designed for one. Do you have any spacers underneath the stem? If so, remove them. Look into a newer stem with a shorter stack height. You also cannot just replace the steer tube, you would need to replace the entire upper assembly, as the steer tube, crown, and stanchions are pressed together. It can be a bit pricey, but still hundreds less than a few fork.
    Also, pictures can really help if you have the ability to post a few.
    Maintain internal heights.