mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Steel HT for Pumptrack-Trail-AM

I'm thinking about building second bike, mostly from spare parts lying around my house. I only need a frame, kinda settled on steel hardtail. It should serve mostly as my pumptrack/bmx-track training rig and as an occasional backup AM/trail bike.
    I have a nice u-turn Pike fork ready for it.
    I'm 6'2", so probably looking for something with moderate top tube (23-23.5"), shorter seat tube (17-17.5"), short stays (16.5" and less), with relaxed head angle... And lower price would be nice, too
    Something between Chameleon and Jackal in SantaCruz line, or between TransAm and Bank from Transition...

So far I have found Chromag Stylus (pricey), Cotic BFe and NS-bikes Surge (favorite so far)... Any other suggestions or thoughts on this frames? Or is this universal HT idea stupid in general?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    not a stupid idea at all!! watch this vid and you'll be totally stocked on the one-for-all ht.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Seasona...de-5-2010.html

as for the frames you're looking at...i'd say any of them will get the job done no questions asked. i haven't ridden any of them personally but with hardtails i think its all about finding a frame you absolutely love and can't stop thinking about. i'm getting ready to build my own one-for-most ht this winter (i say most cuz it's only gonna have 4" of travel) and it's all i can think about.

cheers,
    Diver

mtbr member
    on one 456 summer season
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    have you looked at on-one or ragley frames? mmmbop and blue pig seem to be popular and would fit your bill
    break that ironhorse, he he...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yep, did look at on-one and ragley... they are more like normal trail bikes, with seat tubes and chainstays longer then what I want.

Diver85: Bringing Jinya into discussion is just not fair Although one of his older videos made me look into chromag bikes...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sounds like a transition bank with a pike or something would work. I have a vagrant right now which I personally think is the best do all hardtail, but of course its my bike so I'm going to think that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Transition Bank is a pure 4x/ds/dj frame, that 13.25" seat tube is too short for any pedaling

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    I am in the exact same boat. I own a Transition T.O.P. that is great for general goofing off, but the seat tube is way too short for trail riding. The Surge is at the top of the list but won't be back in stock until June I think. There are a few other options that fit the bill but are all pretty spendy; Chromag, Sovereign, BFE, custom. I wish the chainstays were a bit shorter on the 456. It really is a great trail bike but a little long for the urban/ DJ/ trialsy stuff I do on the Transition.
    Last edited by gratefulbiker; 12-03-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    add DMR to the list.

mtbr member
    your not gonna find a good combo. I ride a BlkMrkt Mob on trails SS/geared set-up and run it single on the track. Plan on not sitting on the trail if you want a real pump/track bike.
    sitting on a bike with the right geometry for the track is pointless and useless. It's not made to sit on for handling.
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Having owned both of these, I would recommend:

For more emphasis on pumps/jumps & flowy trails: evil sovereign (mine is a 1st gen)

For more emphasis on techy xc and dh trails, on one summer season.

The sovereign pops right off anything you can vision using as a lip. (stays @15.7") Absolutely smashes jumps, berms, rollers, etc. Also SS ready.

The summer season is in its element on fast, steep, and tech trails. The thing feels absolutely planted on dh trails - it has longer stays (16.75" I believe) and a crazy slack hta (like 65.8 w/ a pike). Because of the lower front end height and longer stays on this bike, it's harder to get the front up for jumping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    oh my, that Sovereign look so nice! I like the sloping top tube with little triangle supporting the seat tube... and geometry looks great (in M size)!
    But its 2,5 times more expensive than Surge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    add DMR to the list.
    Yeah - Trailstar or Trailstar LT would get the job done methinks.

MattSavage
    Santa Cruz Chameleon...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member

The Cotic BFe's should be available stateside now for $599 via EU Cycles Imports out of Wexford, MA.

Edit: That Chromag Aperture looks sweet too
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 12-03-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mdc
    mtbr member
    I've always wanted an EWR OWB- steel, nice geo. and made in the US:

http://www.ewrbikes.com/owb_specs

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you want to go alm. check out my jamis komodo on e bay at a great price,I looking for the same type of frame and I found the komodo to suit my needs !!!