mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Steel AM Full Suss

Is there anybody who makes a steel AM Light FR that has 6-7 in suss? With suspension advances being what they are, frame geometry as good as it is some of us like our 4 - 5 year old rides and would rather ride than worry about constant frame stress.

mtbr member
    Get down into the frame building forum, there are a number of builders in there who produce excellent full sus frame out of steel.

Failing that Fire eye do a140mm frame called the Kirin that has a 4130 front end and an Alloy rear, but very few companies do off the peg steel bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist View Post
    Is there anybody who makes a steel AM Light FR that has 6-7 in suss? With suspension advances being what they are, frame geometry as good as it is some of us like our 4 - 5 year old rides and would rather ride than worry about constant frame stress.
    Get an enduro.... Lighter then anything chromoly, with millions of dollars worth of R&D behind it. The frame is guaranteed for life. I have one and it rips. I never think about frame stress because if it breaks I get a shiny new one. My brother has an older enduro with literally thousands of miles on it. Worn out a complete drivetrain and he does everything from xc to light downhill and the thing handles business.
    If it's not one thing it's your mother

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspinn View Post
    Get an enduro.... Lighter then anything chromoly, with millions of dollars worth of R&D behind it. The frame is guaranteed for life. I have one and it rips. I never think about frame stress because if it breaks I get a shiny new one. My brother has an older enduro with literally thousands of miles on it. Worn out a complete drivetrain and he does everything from xc to light downhill and the thing handles business.
    Millions of dollars? Not true.

mtbr member
    The frame is guaranteed for life.
    I suggest reading Spesh's current warranty, their definitions of 'life' and 'frame' are very interesting...

mtbr member
    Curtlo and Waltworks make some pretty cool FS steel frames.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

GAME ON!
    light, steel and full-suspension. that's not going to happen.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    a light freeride bike is different than a light, freeride bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    still, no light, steel, light freeride, fs bike

Perpetual Hack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Millions of dollars? Not true.
    The enduro line has been refined for years and years....maybe not millions and millions behind just the enduro but spesh's R&D department is for sure, multi million dollar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    I suggest reading Spesh's current warranty, their definitions of 'life' and 'frame' are very interesting...
    I recently have had a warranty issue on a fork with them and they seemed as eager to fix the problem as I was. I also read a post from a fellow mtbr member who said he cracked a dropout and specialized was nothing but helpful and expedited shipping to get him his new frame. Nothing but appreciation here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Light - I'm no weight weenie and I know 3 extra pounds aint gonna hurt. I also know what a great job American companies have done with Canadian steel and I want to see it again. Not just in bikes but in all products.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The enduro line has been refined for years and years....maybe not millions and millions behind just the enduro but spesh's R&D department is for sure, multi million dollar
    Direct from an employee of Specialized circa 1995: "R&D = Ripoff and Duplicate"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66 View Post
    Direct from an employee of Specialized circa 1995: "R&D = Ripoff and Duplicate"
    Alrighty then... So 16 years ago a disgruntled employee convinced you that R&D is a rip off? I'd sure love to ride frame designs that have no research or development behind them.... R&D has brought you everything that makes a refined, high performance product.

mtbr member
    by rip off i think he meant stealing ideas from other companies, not rip off the buyer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    by rip off i think he meant stealing ideas from other companies, not rip off the buyer.
    Oh.... If that's the case then it's not research or development, right?

mtbr member
    All I'm sayin is there are great bikes available from many companys that are backed up by top shelf engineering, and great support. These guys have the firepower to produce a great product and back it up, whether it's spesh, giant, trek... Whoever. I'm not saying that a small brand or one off can't be a good bike, but years and years, hundreds of models released, a whole lot of R&D and great reputations cannot be ignored. Those factors play into the use of advanced manufacturing techniques, the use of unique and specialized materials( no pun intended) and a high level of refinement and consistency.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    These guys have the firepower to produce a great product and back it up, whether it's spesh, giant, trek... Whoever. I'm not saying that a small brand or one off can't be a good bike, but years and years, hundreds of models released, a whole lot of R&D and great reputations cannot be ignored.
    True, and it also can't be ignored that company size or number of models released don't mean a goddamn thing either. S, G, T all make excellent bikes and also **** bikes.

A small group of craftsmen can run circles around the "big boys" just as much as the big boys can do it around the small guys. Size doesn't mean ****, it comes down to what you do with what you are.

And on average small companies back their products much better than large ones, since a lot of the time their business depends on it, and they have personal reputations and personal pride on their side. Not all the time, but as a whole.

The same 5 guys in Taiwan are welding 90% of everyone's imported frames these days anyway. Which is another topic entirely.

banned
    Ahhh just what I was looking for
    Did you guys know that Specialized invented mountain biking . They will cure cancer . Specialized in fact will stop world hunger in the near future. Man I am sick and F ing tiered of someone suggesting a product from that crap brand every time I read a post on this site. Like it was suggested there is a small company in Quebec called xprezo. They make few frames with steel but not sure if they have a free ride frame made out of steel.
    I have tested their 5 inch and 6 inch bikes , they were well controlled not much negative can b said but nothing stood out as outstanding about them . If you are looking for that same sweet ride that you get out of a steel hard tail ? Well when it comes to suspended bikes all that is just muted by the suspension

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtec View Post
    True, and it also can't be ignored that company size or number of models released don't mean a goddamn thing either. S, G, T all make excellent bikes and also **** bikes.

A small group of craftsmen can run circles around the "big boys" just as much as the big boys can do it around the small guys. Size doesn't mean ****, it comes down to what you do with what you are.

And on average small companies back their products much better than large ones, since a lot of the time their business depends on it, and they have personal reputations and personal pride on their side. Not all the time, but as a whole.

The same 5 guys in Taiwan are welding 90% of everyone's imported frames these days anyway. Which is another topic entirely.
    Yea the overseas production thing does suck. And I can understand the appeal in the more hand made bikes. I just like my specialized. It works amazing and they have taken care of every warranty issue iv read about as well as my own. Above and beyond most times too. IMO