Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Starting him young!

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  The Understater 
#1 ·
Wanted to introduce my son at 6 months old to mountain biking. I think he's hooked already! Notice how he disregards his plastic toys (in the background)...this makes daddy HAPPY!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Yes, I need a superlight coil for this guy--a step up from a "slinky", hehe--or else this thing will essentially be a hardtail for him! Maybe Intense will make an XXXXXS size of the frame for him but the wheel base would probably be too short and the both wheels would be rubbing. Hehe...

Seriously, I'd like to save the frame for my baby, yet realized that when he's capable of riding, suspension technology will be at least 10 years advanced--what will they have for him by then? Funny though, Horst link has survived decades and will likely still be around. We'll see about the Vitual Pivot designs. There's likely here to stay as well in it's various interations.

#8 ·
Is no one else troubled by the fact that your frame is your bed. I have a really bad problem with bikes, but you need to get help.

Congrats on the kid, my first is in the oven and I am looking for one of those walkling bikes already.

#9 ·
I know what you mean.

I've been dreaming abut one day giving my son my Bullit frame. It's a 14.5" frame, so I reckon if I put 24" wheels on it, rig up some short cranks and use a zero offset stem I could have him on it before he's 10. I just hope he appreciates it!
I too have started him young. Check it out.. I love being a dad!

Attachments

#11 ·
jjcools said:
Is no one else troubled by the fact that your frame is your bed. I have a really bad problem with bikes, but you need to get help.
What's the big deal? ;)

jjcools said:
Congrats on the kid, my first is in the oven and I am looking for one of those walkling bikes already.
Skuut balance bike. Got one for my daughter when she turned 2. She's been tearing around in the house for a year and even coasting a bit with her feet up. Hopefully she'll be pedaling a 2-wheeler by the end of the Summer.

Congrats to all the Moms and Dads whose kids like their bikes!
bshallard's boy looks pretty happy.

-F

#13 ·
Exodus11 said:
bshallard,

DUDE!! what is that?!?! i need to get one!! my daughter is 7 mos old and i want to get on the band wagon as young as possible :thumbsup:
That, my friend is a Weeride Child Seat. You aren't supposed to start them in one until age 1 since their necks have to be strong enough to hold up their head and the helmet. I fudged it a bit. He is about 11mo in the 1st photo, and 15 mo in the second photo. Taken just after Christmas. My boy loves it. He is so relaxed even on quite bumpy trails that he never really holds on. Then he sometimes falls asleep!

b.

#17 ·
Aust95 said:
I like the Weeride Child Seat. Thanks for the info. Is there a risk of the child hitting their face on the front pad?
By the way, only the most important things go on my bed!
Yeah, there is a risk if you aren't careful. Really until you have been on a trail with your child on one of these you don't realize just how bumpy some trails are. My boy is Mr. relaxed, so he doesn't tend to hold on. If I see a decent bump coming I put one hand on his shoulder to steady him. Having said that I did manage to do a wheelie off a little bridge the other day and land both wheels together without throwing him around too much.
I use an adjustable seat-post to get my seat lower and make sure I can touch the ground with both feet if we stop in a hurry. This wouldn't be an issue on a rear-mount child seat, since you can stand in front of the seat, but my bike won't take a rear mount seat, and I like being able to have him in front of me between my arms.

b.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.