mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Stan's ZTR Alpine For light All-mountain?

Hey guys,

I might need to replace my front rim and have been looking at options, it looks as though Stan's rims have the best weight to strength ratio and I like idea of BST. My only problem is that my current front hub is 28h and that means I would have to use a ZTR Alpine on the front. Is this going to be an issue? I ride a on-one 456 with 140mm in front for descending. Because of the longer travel should I be fine with the slightly weaker rim?

derp
    Depends on your weight i guess, i use a ZTR Crest for AM and i haven't bent it yet but i'm pretty light @ 65/66 kg fully equiped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I weigh in at around 70kg. I'm also doing more XC oriented riding, though I like to be able to not worry about my wheels if I can. I would guess 5kg more wouldn't be an issue.

derp
    Well the Crest also come in 28 holes but for ease of mind you could also try and source some 28h Mavic 819's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Could you give me a link to a place that sells the crest with 28 holes? I can't seem to find any that are in stock. I would rather have the insurance of the crest than the weight savings of the alpine. The problem was that I couldn't find the crest in stock anywhere with 28H.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I used Alpines for AM use. Rode it around north cal/ bay area trails (demo, UC, pacifica) doin small-med sized drops and jumps. rear wheel Lasted for only 6 mos ( dented it out of shape) and switched to Arch which is perfect for the job. I'm 170 lbs when armored.
    SECOND WIND!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the info Jutes, I think I may go with Crest in the front and Arch in the back or Alpine and Arch. My problem is that I need a 28h rim for the front and I can't find any.

EDIT
    I haven't been able to go on the to tubes website recently because it's been infected (according to google). Just saw I can get what I want directly from them.

Thanks for the help guys!