View Poll Results: sun charger pro vs stans flow rim ztr hubs vs mavic crosstrail

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • sun charger pro wheelset

32 32.32%
  • stans notubes flow ztr wheelset

63 63.64%
  • mavic crosstrail wheelset

4 4.04%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

stans flow wheels vs sun charger pro wheels ?

i hate to do another which one thread but i dont know squat about wheels other than mine are really heavy and im hoping this will help my bike come alive and climb better,

im riding sun ditchwitches which i beleive are the same as rhynolite xl which are 600grams per rim. also heavy hubs. total wheel weight is 2500gram mark. these wheels are all around the same weight, and pricepoint. all are tubeless compatable, and would save me almost 2lbs of rolling weight.

sun charger pro wheels 1699g.
    mavic crosstrails 1685g
    stans flow rims ztr hubs 1725g

any opinions or owners with any opinions appreciated.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-08-2012 at 01:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I recently replaced my stock ditchwitch wheelset (yep 2500g) and am glad I did. I cant comment on the wheelsets you mentioned but I went with some hope hoops with flow rims and am more than happy with them. They weigh around 1880g and I also grabed some lighter rubber and my bike is a new beast. Definately worth the upgrade, you will love it!
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ZTR Flow........light, very strong and love em

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of Flows but there's a new sheriff in town.
    I built my last wheelset with Hadleys and WTB Frequency i23s.
    WTB Products Wheels Rims All Mountain Frequency i23 TCS WTB

Awesome rims, the 4D drilling design really is a game changer IMO.
    Locks the bead in like a vise for tubeless.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    I'd cross anything sun off your list because of the proprietary spokes which they apparently don't sell.

Normally I don't complain about straight-pull spokes, because their availability is more of a hypothetical problem (see how long it takes to get easton spokes, for example. You can probably get them quicker than your LBS can get normal DTs if they don't already have the right size)
    But not Sun-Ringle. I broke a spoke on my charger pro, and have been totally unable to get a replacement. It's been nearly a year now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I'd cross anything sun off your list because of the proprietary spokes which they apparently don't sell.

Normally I don't complain about straight-pull spokes, because their availability is more of a hypothetical problem (see how long it takes to get easton spokes, for example. You can probably get them quicker than your LBS can get normal DTs if they don't already have the right size)
    But not Sun-Ringle. I broke a spoke on my charger pro, and have been totally unable to get a replacement. It's been nearly a year now.
    man that sucks. Well I gonna have to look into that with the guys at my Lbs. Its hard to imagine you cant get them from sun directly atleast? If thats the case it does help narrow things down. Like the crossmax there is only 24 spokes on the charger. I wonder how sturdy that can be also?

mtbr member
    I recently upgraded my Bontrager Rythm Pro's to ZTR Flow's and can tell a difference in the increased stiffness of the Flow's. Not sure on the weight but a good upgrade as far as I am concerned.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    I'm a big fan of Flows but there's a new sheriff in town.
    I built my last wheelset with Hadleys and WTB Frequency i23s.
    WTB Products Wheels Rims All Mountain Frequency i23 TCS WTB

Awesome rims, the 4D drilling design really is a game changer IMO.
    Locks the bead in like a vise for tubeless.
    +1 I too just have had a set of the i23's laced to CK hubs. Total weight is 1880g including tape and valve stems. Builder was impressed with the rigidity and ease of the build, and they are supposed to be as stout as a Flow.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

i went searching and found some spokes at Sun Ringle Pro Wheelset Straight Pull Spokes | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Note that the Stans Flow rims are 28mm wide while the i23s are only, you guessed it 23mm wide. So if you like a healthy girth to your tire and a good contact patch, you might want to think about your choice a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    +1 I too just have had a set of the i23's laced to CK hubs. Total weight is 1880g including tape and valve stems. Builder was impressed with the rigidity and ease of the build, and they are supposed to be as stout as a Flow.
    Like I said, the 4D drilling adds so much.
    With 4D drilling, when they drill out the spoke hole, it isn't just angled from left to right side like other rims, it's also angle for front and back for leading or trailing spokes. That means the nipple is perfectly seated in the rim with no side stress.
    I found out how much difference this makes by accident. I screwed up and started my second set of trailing spokes on the wrong side of the key spoke. Normally, this would just cause a cross above the valve. In this case, as I tightened the spokes, I could see a noticeable bend in the spoke, right at the nipple. The angled drilling was forcing the nipple to keep that angle, even when the spoke was pulling it the opposite way.
    It created an exaggerated view of how much difference that angled drilling makes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    Note that the Stans Flow rims are 28mm wide while the i23s are only, you guessed it 23mm wide. So if you like a healthy girth to your tire and a good contact patch, you might want to think about your choice a bit.
    No, they are the same width. The "23" in the WTBs stands for 23mm inside the rim, Flows actually measure 22.6mm inside

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I looked at the Sun Ringle too - but the Stan's Flows had a much better price point for 450 for the set vs 750 for the Sun Ringle Pros. Love the Stan's I've put on 3 different tires and had no issues running them tubeless. Hard to beat the flows for the price point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by digktialx View Post
    I looked at the Sun Ringle too - but the Stan's Flows had a much better price point for 450 for the set vs 750 for the Sun Ringle Pros. Love the Stan's I've put on 3 different tires and had no issues running them tubeless. Hard to beat the flows for the price point.
    i can get the charger pros for 550. where can you get the stans flows for $450? normally there about $540

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    No, they are the same width. The "23" in the WTBs stands for 23mm inside the rim, Flows actually measure 22.6mm inside
    This is correct.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    i can get the charger pros for 550. where can you get the stans flows for $450? normally there about $540
    You may be right - I got them from jensonusa.com about a month ago - looks like they're $515.00 on there now. I think i got the numbers mixed up sorry!

Bikebling.com sells the sun ringle stuff you could prob get them even less with the 15OFF300 coupon code.

I haven't bought anything from bikebling yet myself.

mtbr member
    Dont froget you can get hope pro 2 evo hubs with flow rims for under $400, they are great, but I am biased .
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hope

What spokes did you have your wheels built with? I think i have decided on this combo, but will use aerolite spokes to save a little more weight.
    Juice

Viva la Vida!
    Ok now let me trough in another set of wheels in to this discussion.
    How about SunRingle Charger Pro VS Crankbrothers Cobalt 2 29"

sun charger pro wheels 1699g.
    Crankbrothers Cobalt 2 29" 1773g

???
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    What spokes did you have your wheels built with? I think i have decided on this combo, but will use aerolite spokes to save a little more weight.
    DT Comp's. Are the aerolite's bladed? I though about those too, but decided against them based on reports of them breaking more easily from rock strikes, which are common where I ride.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    DT Comp's. Are the aerolite's bladed? I though about those too, but decided against them based on reports of them breaking more easily from rock strikes, which are common where I ride.
    In the process of building a wheelset with I23's DT 240's and Sapim Race spokes. I almost went with Lasers to shave a few grams but decided against it as I too have personally taken some mean rock strikes to spokes and would worry about their durability in the thinner size. 1740g for what should be a bomber wheelset is fine with me.
    "Do not touch the trim"

wheelie king

I broke a spoke on my Charger Pros. I called Sun-Ringle and left a message. Someone called me back later that day. He sent me a spoke and nipple for free. He also gave me part numbers for the spokes so that I could order spares.
    Charger Pros are great wheels.

mtbr member

Did you call tech support at Sun-Ringle? I called this week and they picked up their phone right away. Quite helpful too.

Only bummer though if you do need parts from Sun-Ringle, it's all via LBS or finding it online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    yes the aerolites are bladed. lighter, and a bit more expensive. not really too worried about there durability, a friend just laced up some i23/hope pro 2evos w/ aerolites, as well as another friend running dt swiss tricon 1950's on an sx trail being ridden through plenty of rocks!
    i'm no weigth weenie, but i know it makes the biggest difference when lost in the wheels, so i am willing to pay the extra for the lighter spokes.

just glad to know they will come out at a resonable weight.
    Juice

usually cranky
    sun rimes have eyelets and a higher sidewall, just sometime to consider if it matters to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast