mtbr member
    Jun 2011

staggered tire question on 26er hard tail - 2.35 nevagal front 1.95 back too much?

I've been trolling a good bit about staggered sizes since I'm currently on 2.35 nevagals all around, and I can feel the sluggishness from the large rear and want to experiment since I have extra tires laying around, a 2.1 and a 1.95 with medium knobness.

I ride local trails, most of which have a decent amount of soft pack, sand patches and rocky areas and some rocky technical stuff.

2.35/2.1 f/r seems to be a popular combo, but I almost want to start with the 1.95 to see if I can get away with it. When would I know if 1.95 is too little? If I'm slipping during climbing or the back is washing out all the time? I'm not looking to have you guys tell me what setup to run but really how to identify when and what changes should be made.

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    hrmmm edit just got finished reading this good report on the differences and I think I'll try my 2.1 first. They really trash on the skinny tire high pressure.

scientific essay about ROLLINGRESISTANCE

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i would try the 2.1 and see how it works out for you, if it gets rid of the sluggish feeling you would be good there especially if you ride in a lot of soft/sandy conditions. stick with as big of a tire footprint as feels comfortable without being sluggish.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Nevegal has a lot of rolling resistance and so as the following even though they're skinny tires:

2.1 small block 8
    2.1 maxxis crossmark
    2.3 conti speed king (although they're measured at 2.1)
    2.1 panaracer xc

these are few tires I was able to run for testing and these takes up a lot of evergy when climbing. What I would recommend are:

2.25 Rocket Ron
    2.4 Rocket Ron (it is wide but has very minimal rolling resistance and it'll give you the cush that you need on a HT
    2.25 Racing Ralph
    2.25 nobby nic (this tire has less rolling resistance as sb8)
    2.2 Conti Race King

These tires are a bit pricey but they have traction, lightweight and has very low rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    just swapped out a smb8 2.1 for a nevegal 2.1 in rear to match my 2.35 nevegal in the front.....feels great to me, plus i needed the traction the nevegal gave me over my smb8

im riding a hardtail too

mtbr member
    Here's what I found works best as far as tires:

Just try it. Wait for a tire to go on sale for less than $30. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Simple. Especially if you're talking Kendas. You can get those on sale for cheap any day of the year. If you don't like it, you can sell it.

mtbr member
    Dunno about your trails but here in GA most of us run a tighter tread pattern in the back but still a wide tire.

2.35 Nevegal in the front with a 2.35 Small Block Eight would work well if you're set on Kendas. I hear the Excavator is better all around than the Nevegal and the Slant Six is a little knobbier than an SB8 but rolls very fast still. Might look into something like the Slant Six in a wider version.

I ran a 2.25 Crossmark on the rear for a while and loved it for everything other than mud. High volume, very predictable but packed up with mud.

High volume fat tires are more comfortable and predictable than skinny tires in my experience. Tread pattern is much more important than tire width when it comes to how fast a tire rolls. Nevegals are chunky and roll really slow.

RideDirt
    Check out some of the specialized tires , They have some really good tires that perform great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have been riding a 2.2 front and a 2 rear. The front has a square profile and is supposed to be a rear tire, but it was $10 used and I really like it. I ride on chat, sandy clay, and roots; it sticks on tight corners better than a more rounded profile tire I was using and sliding around on.