doofus.

SS Wheel advice - freewheel?

I'm going SS and taking pounds off my bike in the process and have been reading threads about wheel construction for AM use, but haven't noticed anyone using a freewheel hub in lieu of a cassette? (pardon the terminology errors if there are any, I'm just learning all of this stuff)

I had in mind putting together a wheelset using Transition Revolution 32s with DMR Revolver Disc Hubs and a White ENO Green Trials Freewheel, as I figured this combination would provide the most bang for the buck and balance of strength and weight. I'm aware that I'd be limited to 18t on the rear.

Obviously the Revolution 32s are well represented here, but is there something I should know about the Revolvers or using a freewheel that I'm not reading that would make them unacceptable? They seem to offer the most symmetrical spoke angles (which is better, correct?) and are fairly lightweight.

I'm coming from 2004 Sun Ditch Witch rims on entry level Shimano hubs, 8 speed cassette.
    - keith

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by eimkeith
    I'm going SS and taking pounds off my bike in the process and have been reading threads about wheel construction for AM use, but haven't noticed anyone using a freewheel hub in lieu of a cassette? (pardon the terminology errors if there are any, I'm just learning all of this stuff)

I had in mind putting together a wheelset using Transition Revolution 32s with DMR Revolver Disc Hubs and a White ENO Green Trials Freewheel, as I figured this combination would provide the most bang for the buck and balance of strength and weight. I'm aware that I'd be limited to 18t on the rear.

Obviously the Revolution 32s are well represented here, but is there something I should know about the Revolvers or using a freewheel that I'm not reading that would make them unacceptable? They seem to offer the most symmetrical spoke angles (which is better, correct?) and are fairly lightweight.

I'm coming from 2004 Sun Ditch Witch rims on entry level Shimano hubs, 8 speed cassette.
    The WI freewheel is the one to have. Even the standard one is nearly bulletproof. Be sure to apply a liberal coat of anti seize to the threads before you install it.

Not familiar with the specific hub. I have used the Paul WORD for trail riding and know many people that use the White Industries ENO hub. Hard to go wrong with a SS freewheel hub as long as the FW threads are good and the axle up to your use.

SS hubs do build some of the strongest wheels because they are dishless (symmetrical).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I second the WI freewheels. On all my ss bikes. Tried the shimanos, ACS and Suntours...none measured up esp when used for offroad.
    FOr offroad, I like to stick with the green 18t trials too. Play around with the front ring instead of changing out the back whenever something a little different is needed. Cant help much on the hubs stated as all mine are running WI eccentrics

WI cost a bit more but definitely worth it in the longer run.

doofus.
    Thanks guys - from what I'm reading, bearing replaceability is the thing to pay attention to in the hub SS hub department. The revolvers are inexpensive, at ~$50-60, even better.
    - keith