Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sram XO or XX?

9K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  macming 
#1 ·
Is the xx lineup worth the extra money compared to the xo? In the process of swapping to a 2x10 setup and gonna be purchasing new components pretty soon here. Are they more durable or just lighter? Ordered a hammerschmidt so this will be for rear derailleur/shifters/cassette only.

#4 ·
if you can afford it get it,

not im sure most people would notice the difference, ive got XX throughout on mine, will probably go back to XTR, more so on the rear cassette/derailleur setup and brakes, front chainrings are really smooth.

Couldn't give a monkeys toss what people on here think, you'll probably find the people that are concerned about what people think online have posts # ranging into the thousands :rolleyes:

#6 ·
macming said:
Xx rear cassette for anything you want to ride is just silly. Those cassette wear out faster than anything I know. I'd stick w. X0 or XTR
ok this is good to know i was actually specifically looking at the xx cassette due to the lightweight. So it would seem that the xx group is really not worth the xtra $$ over the xo. Xo it is then.

#7 ·
YamiRider1316 said:
ok this is good to know i was actually specifically looking at the xx cassette due to the lightweight. So it would seem that the xx group is really not worth the xtra $$ over the xo. Xo it is then.
If you want to save some weight on cassette, I'd look at the XTR over the SRAM 990. The XTRs are made from titanium and are a bit lighter than the 990s. I've had a ti dura ace cassette for 4 years and it's still in good shape. Granted I changed my chain annually.

I have no complaints about XO shifting on my bikes.

#10 ·
kapusta said:
I don't even think XO is worth it over x9.
I went to XO from X9 on two bikes this winter. While the shifting action isn't drastically different, the lever feel and ergonomics makes this upgrade worth it to me.

The throw action of front shifting is much smoother with a X0/XTR FD setup over a X9/XT FD, and the rear feels a little more solid. The ball bearings in the X0 shifters are a bit smoother than the bushing setup in the X9 IMO.

#11 ·
macming said:
I went to XO from X9 on two bikes this winter. While the shifting action isn't drastically different, the lever feel and ergonomics makes this upgrade worth it to me.

The throw action of front shifting is much smoother with a X0/XTR FD setup over a X9/XT FD, and the rear feels a little more solid. The ball bearings in the X0 shifters are a bit smoother than the bushing setup in the X9 IMO.
I spent today demoing bikes with XTR and XO drivetrains. I just did not see any improvement over the X9 / XT level stuff I am used to running. Honestly, I thought none of them shifted better than my x9 RD, Xt Cassette, and 10 year old 7.0 ESP Gripshifter (or my other bike with X9 RD, 990 Cassette, x7 trigger). I was excited to be wowed by the new shiny bits, and while several of the bikes and forks gave me serious wood, these much hyped drivetrains left me scratching my head, wondering what the big deal was. I borrowed a bike for a couple of days last fall with full XO, and had the same impression. The shifters do have a nicer feel on the XO triggers, but I did not think they actually worked any better.

I sometimes wonder if drivetrain upgrades seem to make a difference simply because it involves replacing the cables/housing, chain, cassette, and rings.

But hey, that's just me. I guess some people can tell the difference.

#12 ·
kapusta said:
I spent today demoing bikes with XTR and XO drivetrains. I just did not see any improvement over the X9 / XT level stuff I am used to running. Honestly, I thought none of them shifted better than my x9 RD, Xt Cassette, and 10 year old 7.0 ESP Gripshifter (or my other bike with X9 RD, 990 Cassette, x7 trigger). I was excited to be wowed by the new shiny bits, and while several of the bikes and forks gave me serious wood, these much hyped drivetrains left me scratching my head, wondering what the big deal was. I borrowed a bike for a couple of days last fall with full XO, and had the same impression. The shifters do have a nicer feel on the XO triggers, but I did not think they actually worked any better.

I sometimes wonder if drivetrain upgrades seem to make a difference simply because it involves replacing the cables/housing, chain, cassette, and rings.

But hey, that's just me. I guess some people can tell the difference.
X0 doesn't really work much better in the rear. Coupled with a XTR FD, it works slightly more positive on the front on my bikes.

Otherwise, the difference is definitely in the feeling of the shifters. That still is worth it to me considering I bought my XO shifters used for about $100 - $120 per set used.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.