Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sr Suntour Durolux forks?

122K views 313 replies 75 participants last post by  q232 
#1 ·
Hello! :)

I just bought an Intense Tracer Vp, with all the bells and whistles I could afford! It's gonna have a fox 32 FIT RLC Kashima TALAS QR15 150mm tapered bla bla bla! phew! So I got the front end covered.....for trail riding....but how about for some very light free riding I could do @ mammoth or maybe north star at tahoe? I would definitely want a larger fork!

My dad can get some sr suntour stuff for cheap...and he told me those guys had a long travel fork...So looking @ their website I found the Durolux...with tapered steerer, 180 to 140 infinite travel adjust, air spring, cool aesthetics, and 20mm QR axle. Doesn't sound that bad....

2009 fork reviews, send the fork to the stone age...pretty bad IMO, but this wouldn't be my main fork, so I would like to know if anybody has tried the newer stuff...

I'm riding hope hubs so I can swap the end caps from qr15 to 20mm so thats no problem.

Would this fork be worth the try? I can't get it free, so theres some loss if it turns out sh*tty...So help me out guys...and be honest, and don't comment just to thrash the brand just because your some fox freak, or rock shox junkie ok?

Thanks much guys!

Heres the link of the webpage and fork...

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID=sifdc7f74659d2c082586b27883c03f2/index.php?screen=sh.product_series&tnid=2557

See less See more
#3 ·
Google it. Even recent reviews are saying there is no damping. Basically, it's a beginner's fork that's nowhere near as good as a domain 180.

Oh yeah, they still fall apart while riding. Too bad; I would have gotten one cheap and retrofitted damper parts from zoke or fox.

#4 ·
scottzg said:
i've used it and... oh, that discludes me... i'll keep my trap shut... sorry.
hahaha don't worry, I'm just trying to be funny that's all! :D

Yeah, the price and reputation really says it all....If I can get it for cheap...and I mean CHEAP, I'll give it a try....if it goes a little beyond the cheapness that I'm thinking off, I'll just save some money and get a used Fox 36 or RS Lyric with a tapered steerer! :)
I mean, I'm investing big money on the Fox 32...So I'm really not looking to spend a lot on another fork just to have it as a longer travel spare and having a fox 36 (even a light float) as my main fork is too heavy and tall for the kind of riding I do.

Oh, and I've been looking for reviews and all I found were two read worthy reviews...1 from bike taiwan or something, and another from bikeradar....both thrashing the fork. So... :confused:

Is it just the damping....or does it really fall apart from riding? :skep:

#5 ·
dhbomber said:
hahaha don't worry, I'm just trying to be funny that's all! :D

Yeah, the price and reputation really says it all....If I can get it for cheap...and I mean CHEAP, I'll give it a try....if it goes a little beyond the cheapness that I'm thinking off, I'll just save some money and get a used Fox 36 or RS Lyric with a tapered steerer! :)

Oh, and I've been looking for reviews and all I found were two read worthy reviews...1 from bike taiwan or something, and another from bikeradar....both thrashing the fork. So... :confused:

Is it just the damping....or does it really fall apart from riding? :skep:
Well, if you're thinking that price is the factor for you to try and throw at it, then you don't need assistance from others, and you didn't need to post this thread. You're only finding reviews in english, but it was panned around the world, in different languages. The german forums have some info onthat, with suntour joining and promising that the problems were glitches.

Anyhow, you're set on it only because of price, so get one, and enjoy. Hope you have good dental and medical. Copays should be factored into operating costs.

#6 ·
junktrunk said:
Hope you have good dental...
Dad's a Dentist
Mom's a Dentist
I'm a Dentist
:D

I'm pretty much covered!

I'm just trying to investigate a little about those forks...As a spare fork...
But hey I don't want my teeth broken, or any ribs breaking! I'll probably should stick with a nice used fox or Rock Shox! :cool:

#13 ·
net wurker said:
Do you prefer sugarless gum for your patients who chew gum?

Were you even contacted in that survey?
Sugarless gum all the way!
IMO chewing gum alone is bad for your teeth...but hey if you like chewing gum like I do, might as well be sugarless...

And no, I don't work in the US, I work in Mexico. So no survey for me :)

#19 ·
olijay said:
Is a Fox32 totally the wrong choice for light freeride? I'm just a trail rider so I wouldn't know, just curious if you would kill a Fox32 by using it that way.
well I was considering a "heavier duty" fork for park riding or "light" freeriding...Larger jumps, drops, etc.

I guess the fox 32 will do, but it's always better to have a larger fork in those situations right?

#20 ·
junktrunk said:
You do realize that it's not only unethical to claim you're a dentist, as you did above, but illegal in many places? Do you do that in real life, too?
calm down man! :D

I finished my studies, I'm a dentist by diploma, I graduated...plus I'm not using this forum to promote myself...

Let's just not talk about profession, work, etc. Someone mentioned teeth, and I said I didn't need Dental....Forgive me ;)

now....back to bikes?

And no...it's not unethical to say I'm a Dentist, when I just graduated mkay. :cool:

#24 ·
The damper in the Suntour is topnotch.
Its really easy to overhaul and change the oil.
I just bought the fork last week and raised the oil level a bit for a better progressive rate.
The air system is very smooth and the entire fork ride just like my fox 36 float.

The Durolux is a great fork for anyone and the stroke is super smooth.
I was blown away at how smooth the fork is.
RideOn!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.