href="http://www.pinkbike.com/video/204252/">My commute! on pinkbike.com

RideOn

Niko

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

wiki

Hi Nicholas

With wiki I ment a page on wikipedia.
    Not that I've ever made one before but hey there's a first time for everything.
    And there's an good explaination on how to do it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ing_an_article

I'll make a list tomorrow of stuff there's on the forum already post it here review it add some pictures and start a page

Nice edit btw.

Greetings Wybren

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stormeporm View Post
    Hi Nicholas

With wiki I ment a page on wikipedia.
    Not that I've ever made one before but hey there's a first time for everything.
    And there's an good explaination on how to do it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ing_an_article

I'll make a list tomorrow of stuff there's on the forum already post it here review it add some pictures and start a page

Nice edit btw.

Greetings Wybren

I think that would be great Wybren.
    I would love to make a page and proper explanation on how to use this fork.
    I think I will make a video or picture slide show explaining how to overhaul the fork.
    It would take time but its very feasible.

Please go ahead and look into making a page just tell me what I could do to help.
    This is a great fork and we can help make it better by letting people know all about it!

RideOn mate!

Niko!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seems like a fork for rookies,mainly

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NR 750 View Post
    Seems like a fork for rookies,mainly
    so you a pro then dude?

Right On!

T.W.O
    My next fork will be this. Mark my words. Your inspiring nick keep up the great work.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

wiki setup

I've made a first setup for the wiki page.
    Feel free to add and comment or tell me I've done something stupid. I've probably forgotten some stuff or added bogus.
    If you want to help editing stuff let me know.

For the moment I can do the introduction and about the fork.
    I'll try to explain the differences on the dampers but I think you (nicholas)will have to add some since your knowledge about them is much better.

Nicholas if you can write the howto's with pictures and video's
    You don't have to post the video's and pictures here, because I think we can upload them to wikipedia so the article is not depending on this forum to exist. I have to check this.

I'll start a wikipage tomorrow it time to go to bed now, and I'm trying to safe someone crashed hard drive. Which makes a more awful sound than my fork bottoming out.

If you post the text or pm them to me IŽll put them in a decent html layout and upload them.

Greetings Wybren
    TypeOn

Setup:

introduction
    • short history
    • specs
    • nice photo

About the fork:

• Different versions of the durolux.
    • sf9
    • sf10
    • sf11

• Explanation of the dampers.
    • tad damper
    • rca damper

• The Qloc

Pro's

Con's

Howto's
    • Lowering the fork
    • Adding spacers for custom heights
    • Adding oil to the air chamber to prevent nose dives and bottoming it out. ( I haven't done this yes so I'll take pictures probably this week I found a place who has proper oil)
    • Overhauling the damper
    • servicing
    • regular service
    • big service.

Oil types to use?

Stuff I forgot

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stormeporm View Post
    I've made a first setup for the wiki page.
    Feel free to add and comment or tell me I've done something stupid. I've probably forgotten some stuff or added bogus.
    If you want to help editing stuff let me know.

For the moment I can do the introduction and about the fork.
    I'll try to explain the differences on the dampers but I think you (nicholas)will have to add some since your knowledge about them is much better.

Nicholas if you can write the howto's with pictures and video's
    You don't have to post the video's and pictures here, because I think we can upload them to wikipedia so the article is not depending on this forum to exist. I have to check this.

I'll start a wikipage tomorrow it time to go to bed now, and I'm trying to safe someone crashed hard drive. Which makes a more awful sound than my fork bottoming out.

If you post the text or pm them to me IŽll put them in a decent html layout and upload them.

Greetings Wybren
    TypeOn

Setup:

introduction The Suntour Durolux RCA 180mm of plush fully active travel with a great air spring, Rebound and Compression.

• short history The Durolux is a nice low cost but very awesome riding fork.
      I have been riding it since April of 2011 and so far find it to be stiff, full adjustable, burly and a pleasure to ride.
    • specs= The Durolux is a versatile fork that can be used from XC all the way to DH!
      180mm of adjustable travel that can be lowered internally in 20mm increments from 180mm to 140mm by moving the negative springs top out bumper.
      Suntour had done a wonderful job making it serviceable and easy for most people to overhaul and adjust.

The fork has 35mm stanchion legs with a nice slick golden surface!
      External adjustments=
      Rebound on the bottom of the right leg
      Compression on the top of the right leg
      Air adjustment on the top of the left leg.
      Internal adjustments=
      Travel from 140mm up to 180mm
      RCA damper oil overhaul.
    • nice photo

About the fork:

• Different versions of the durolux.
    • sf9
    • sf10
    • sf11

• Explanation of the dampers.
    • tad damper
    • rca damper is a full adjustable damper with external Rebound and Compression. The Compression has 15 clicks to a nice firm platform.
      Rebound spins free and goes from full open super fast to full closed super slow.

• The Qloc

Pro's

Con's

Howto's
    • Lowering the fork
    • Adding spacers for custom heights
    • Adding oil to the air chamber to prevent nose dives and bottoming it out. ( I haven't done this yes so I'll take pictures probably this week I found a place who has proper oil)
    • Overhauling the damper
    • servicing
    • regular service=
      would include cleaning of the fork.
      air pressure checking every couple of rides.
      a light grease of the seals with slickhoney to keep it smooth.
    • big service.
      disassembly of the fork and a full cleaning of all the seals and changing
      the grease.
      An oil overhaul for the RCA damper.
      About 6-months to a year depending on your regularity of rides.

Oil types to use?
    Grease slick honey.
    Oil any proper frok oil.
    Scram oil 5wt is what I am using in the RCA damper.

Stuff I forgot

You did a wonderful job.
    I don't have any pictures at the moment but I think we could get some very easily.
    Tell me what else we need to do!
    RideOn man!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    My next fork will be this. Mark my words. Your inspiring nick keep up the great work.
    That would be cool man!
    The fork is stiff and rides very nice.
    Like any fork or new product once set up properly for you bike and style it will perform to the utmost ability.
    The air spring really helps this matter!

RidEOn!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey man,
    Hope you can keep this up. I'm planning to get this fork for my do-it-all bike and i'd love to learn how to service it my self. If you can, please do a step by step tutorial with pictures so noobs like me can follow it.
    Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vonichi View Post
    Hey man,
    Hope you can keep this up. I'm planning to get this fork for my do-it-all bike and i'd love to learn how to service it my self. If you can, please do a step by step tutorial with pictures so noobs like me can follow it.
    Thanks a lot.

hhahhahahaha
    I don't think your a noob but yes, I plan on doing a picture or even video tutorial of how to
    change the travel, change the internal oil on the RCA damper and overhaul the fork completely.
    But, my fork is running so smooth right now I have no desire to overhaul and take it apart.
    I have it set up smooth and progressive and she is a blast to ride!
    I hope you enjoy the fork.
    In words I have described how to overhaul it here on this forum so, please ask if you have any questions. Im sure I can help.

here are some pictures from last weekends ride that my buddy took !
    Im on my Durolux!

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6873692/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6873687/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6873695/

My fork is riding very smooth at the moment and cant tell you when a tutorial will be
    but, I promise I will make one just for the Suntour teaching the necessary techniques.
    RideOn man!

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas poetker View Post
    That would be cool man!
    The fork is stiff and rides very nice.
    Like any fork or new product once set up properly for you bike and style it will perform to the utmost ability.
    The air spring really helps this matter!

RidEOn!
    Nick, a (not so) interesting review from bikeradar here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-fork-11-45003
    What do you think..?

Personally, the Durolux deserve a more thorough test and find out why such (could be isolated) issue existed. They don't even try to explain how the components configure the whole fork (like when they tested the big brand).
    I see the fork potential, I got it couple of weeks ago and after more than "few-Bikeradar-test-days" thrashing and bashing, it's still hold up fine to the point I like it more than my Talas 36 and Marz66,
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Nick, a (not so) interesting review from bikeradar here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-fork-11-45003
    What do you think..?

Personally, the Durolux deserve a more thorough test and find out why such (could be isolated) issue existed. They don't even try to explain how the components configure the whole fork (like when they tested the big brand).
    I see the fork potential, I got it couple of weeks ago and after more than "few-Bikeradar-test-days" thrashing and bashing, it's still hold up fine to the point I like it more than my Talas 36 and Marz66,

Thats a very bad review on BikeRadar I have to agree!
    I too read it before buying the durolux.
    They left out lots of important details like you said.
    I think they also failed to give it a full test with a preconception of its a cheep fork.

As for me I too love it.
    The new 2012 model has high and low speed compression so my next fork for my Rune will be the 2012 model once my 36 float goes out on me.
    The float is still rocking great at a year old but I will never pay the price I did for it again.
    The Durolux is very sufficient and rides very smooth.
    I have been on mine for 3-4 months now and love it.

Im also very interested in the Durolux air shock.
    I have roco air's on both of my bikes and love it.
    Im curious to see how it compares to the roco!
    But, cant find it being sold anywhere.

Im sold man,
    Suntour has great top notch suspension at a great price and low weight to the burly strength.
    Just many people cant get over the name! hahahhaah
    RidEOn!
    Niko

it's the ride....
    May 2004

The new 2012 model has high and low speed compression so my next fork for my Rune will be the 2012 model once my 36 float goes out on me.
    The float is still rocking great at a year old but I will never pay the price I did for it again.
    The Durolux is very sufficient and rides very smooth.
    I have been on mine for 3-4 months now and love it.
    RidEOn!
    Niko
    Bikeradar may return with different opinion in next 6 months with the 2012 Durolux. Suntour should come back to them with the right sample. Their review on the Durolux TAD on 2009 was better than this recent RCA review.

Yes the 2012 Durolux is very tempting with separate high and low compression adjustment. I don't see how it will be that much different on performance with others big brand, given the reliability though.
    I should've wait the 2012 out, but no remorse since I got it pretty cheap, almost 1/4th of my Talas 36 price .. For the value of the money it's unbeatable.
    It's on the Mach 5.7 now (as a testing rig). I may get the 2012 one for my Nomad v-1
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Do you think you'd be able to buy the new cartridge from the 2012 ones, to fit in my 2010?

And I'd like to know how much suspension fluid you put into the damper side?
    Obviously I'm not the same weight as you, but I'd like to guage how much you've put in. thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyCloud View Post
    Do you think you'd be able to buy the new cartridge from the 2012 ones, to fit in my 2010?

And I'd like to know how much suspension fluid you put into the damper side?
    Obviously I'm not the same weight as you, but I'd like to guage how much you've put in. thanks

That would be cool, but I have no idea where to by small parts for these forks.
    The new damper most likely fits but I don't know if they sell it.

As for the damper I put 110ml or just a little over a half a cup of 5wt oil.
    It will be same for anyone as the amount increased is very minute.
    Any more and you will not get full travel.
    But at 110 you also don't get a harsh clack on bottom instead it feels bottomless.

I actually filmed myself overhauling the RCA damper last weekend and need to edit it.

RideOn!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just followed your advice, I put 15wt in the top of the air chamber and it does feel a lot better.
    I attatched a picture, can't link because I don't have 10 posts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sr Suntour Durolux forks?-img_0180.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Awesome bottlerocket man!
    Looks like my bike, hahahhahahahha

The extra oil in the air side will make it very progressive and have a nice bottomless feeling.
    But if you put too much it will bottom too soon.
    Also the extra oil in my opinion gives the bike a much firmer ride while still maintaining the plush sensitivity the fork has!

Good job man!

In the next couple of weeks I will try to get the RCA damper video edited.
    RideOn!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Dripping sweat!

a nice ride with my buddies.
    I took the Durolux out for a day of DH fun followed by some jumping!

Dripping sweat! on pinkbike.com

RidEOn!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Not to rain on anyones parade but I am seriously disappointing with Sr Suntour..

I bought a Gt Dj bike that had a Duro DJ on the front of it and I rode it for a month, given I do ride stuff hard, but it was nothing a Dj bike wouldnt see in normal use..

Anyways I aired out of the backside of a Berm at our BMX Track and landed hard but nothing that bad. I land that hard on that jump my 20" or a rigid fork, and I bent the steerer tube on the Duro.. I didnt crash, both feet and hands stayed on the bars, It wasnt enough impact that should have bent that fork, Like I said I hit that with my 20" and I have hit it on my AM bike that has a Lyric on it lots of times.. and the Sr Suntour was the one that bent.

The LBS calls the company and Sr Suntour tells me I am SOL because "We have pro riders that have ridden those forks for 2 years and they have never bent a steerer tube"

So now I am without a working fork until I can save up for a Rockshox to replace it.. I know that they will treat me right if something goes wrong..

I would understand if I had some huge crash that would break any fork but the situation was not the case, and the reply that they gave me drove me away from their company forever..
    Last edited by swan3609; 07-30-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    Not to rain on anyones parade but I am seriously disappointing with Sr Suntour..

I bought a Gt Dj bike that had a Duro DJ on the front of it and I rode it for a month, given I do ride stuff hard, but it was nothing a Dj bike wouldnt see in normal use..

Anyways I aired out of the backside of a Berm at our BMX Track and landed hard but nothing that bad. I land that hard on that jump my 20" or a rigid fork, and I bent the steerer tube on the Duro.. I didnt crash, both feet and hands stayed on the bars, It wasnt enough impact that should have bent that fork, Like I said I hit that with my 20" and I have hit it on my AM bike that has a Lyric on it lots of times.. and the Sr Suntour was the one that bent.

The LBS calls the company and Sr Suntour tells me I am SOL because "We have pro riders that have ridden those forks for 2 years and they have never bent a steerer tube"

So now I am without a working fork until I can save up for a Rockshox to replace it.. I know that they will treat me right if something goes wrong..

I would understand if I had some huge crash that would break any fork but the situation was not the case, and the reply that they gave me drove me away from their company forever..

Sorry to hear your bad story man!
    There could be many reasons why it bent or didn't with your other forks.
    I ride the same trials and jumps all the time and sometimes things break off the weirdest stuff.
    I don't know much about the Duro and it looks good to me.
    The crown should be no different than that of a marzocchi or rockshocks.

I hope you can settle things up.
    Remember what you get on a complete bike is not always top notch.
    The aftermarket products from all the companies are much better than the complete bike's specs. I don't know why they do it but they do.

RideOn!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I am fine if that's the case. But they should stand behind a product better than that.. I just refuse to do business with them again if they refuse to warranty a dirt jump fork that was bent while hitting a dirt jump that I have hit hundreds of times on lyrics and various other forks.. including rigid forks.

It really is a bummer because I was actually thinking about a second long travel for li for my bike and I was looking at some of their offerings but with them putting me in a position where I have to buy a new fork, I will not be spending my money with them.. RS has treated me much better and will get my money and support.

Magically generated from my Liberated Droid X.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    I am fine if that's the case. But they should stand behind a product better than that.. I just refuse to do business with them again if they refuse to warranty a dirt jump fork that was bent while hitting a dirt jump that I have hit hundreds of times on lyrics and various other forks.. including rigid forks.

It really is a bummer because I was actually thinking about a second long travel for li for my bike and I was looking at some of their offerings but with them putting me in a position where I have to buy a new fork, I will not be spending my money with them.. RS has treated me much better and will get my money and support.

Magically generated from my Liberated Droid X.

Sounds good bro!
    I understand how you feel and I would feel the same.
    Please enjoy your fork.
    If you looking for a bombproof DJ fork there are lots of offering out there.

RidEOn!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Suntour Durolux overhaul RCA

Ok boy!
    Here it is!

I just finished my RCA overhaul on the Durolux!
    I hope this will give you some better insight on the magic this fork has to offer.
    You can also see the forks damper is made of high quality metal.

RideOn!

The Suntour Durolux on pinkbike.com

‪2011 Durolux RCA rebuild - 720p.mov‬‏ - YouTube

I hope this helps and gives a clear view of how great this fork is inside as well.
    I tried talking very slow to help explain and kind of over explained as well.
    enjoy!

RidEOn!
    Niko

What?
    Ok boy!
    Here it is!

I just finished my RCA overhaul on the Durolux!
    I hope this will give you some better insight on the magic this fork has to offer.
    You can also see the forks damper is made of high quality metal.

RideOn!

The Suntour Durolux on pinkbike.com

‪2011 Durolux RCA rebuild - 720p.mov‬‏ - YouTube

I hope this helps and gives a clear view of how great this fork is inside as well.
    I tried talking very slow to help explain and kind of over explained as well.
    enjoy!

RidEOn!
    Niko

That is by far, the funniest "how to" video I have ever watched. I Was hoping for some close ups of the internals though.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast