Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hi All,

Just had a chance to review this entire thread. Lots of questions on here but I will do my best to answer them time permitted.

On the 2012 line we are running a bit behind on the manufacturing side but should have product shipping in the coming months. Cost will be $629.99-679.99 depending on model and options.

The TAD is a slightly more Complicated air spring assembly. It uses a coil spring to adjust the stageless travel and can be adjusted either remote or a new push button for the 2012 fork.

In regards to a similiar level 32mm stanchion fork I would have to point folks to the Epicon. It has seen several imporvements this year. New hollow crown borrowed from the Carbon XC Axon, a light weight rebound/compression cartridge (we have never offered compression adjustment on these forks before) and we have listened to our customers and have supplied the forks with more external aluminum parts for better durability and a positive feel. The Epicon comes in either a TAD (external travel adjust 40mm) or the internal adjustment in 140/120/100.

For any service parts in North America feel free to drop us a line or email and we would be happy to assist you!

Well that's what I have time for now.

Feel free to ask any ?'s and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner.

Best,
    Nick

BTW, Niko I love the video's you have been putting together in your free time!!!!!!
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Thank You!

Nick,
    Thank you for the detailed reply.
    Im sure everyone who reads this thread will be most thrilled.
    The Epicon looks amazing and I would love to have one for my hardtail.

Im also really excited on the new damper for the Durolux as the high and low speed compression will only do wonders for the overall ride.

I think the simple question everyone has on this thread is if the fork is good or not?
    Comparing to other forks on the market the Suntour is still unknown and actually hard to find.

If you could get more forks out on the streets and in the mountains people will start to adore is superb plush ride.

I have had to make a lot of modifications to my fork ( every thing I mentioned in my short videos ) making it plush yet firm with a bottomless feel and now its a magical ride.

Everyone who rides my fork here in Japan says it feels like a coil, super plush but ramps up for a smooth ride.

The 2012 offerings look amazing!
    Good job!

RideOn into 2012!

Niko

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can I have your idea...

I have Marzocchi 22LO 110travel... What if I'll look for a guy to have a swap with his DuroLx 140travel to 180travel? OR I'll sell may Marz then buy a DuroLx?

What is ok? Thanks in advance...

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    In the 2011 TAD, can you convert the 160mm model to 180mm?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Thaks for the question.The Travel Adjust cartridges come in 2 travel modes. 160 or 180. They cannot be modified to different travel lengths and are preset.

Best,
    Nick

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nick,

any online places you know of selling the new epicons? I can find older models, but haven't been able to locate the new ones...

mtbr member
    Hello,

2012 product is behind schedule just a bit however I do have a small selection here in our North American distribution center.

You will be very hard pressed to find this at any online retailer as the channels will be through IBD's or direct through us for some time until the product has saturated the market either via OEM or Aftermarket sales.

If your after something specific give me a ring.

360-737-6450
    Nick

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Has anyone bought the new RC2 duromax?
    My finger is hovering above the add to cart button

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

RC2 DuroMax

No I havent but its will be awesome!
    Were are you going to buy it from?
    Can you give us a link the site that has them on display.
    Here in Japan my shop says they dont have any 2012 stuff in stock yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any news on the 2012 Durolux RCA?

Is it out yet. I cant find it on any store sites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I found a cheap set of new 2010 RCA's that I think Im going to buy. Then possibly drop in the RC2 cart later but only if Im not happy. Although all the reviews, bar the BR one, have been very good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    First ride tonight on the RCA. Wow they are so good! Im a larger rider at 215lbs and I found them super stiff. Far more than the Sektors they replaced. The Sektors were good but these are just a different level. Felt like I was on my dh bike and not my Pitch!

Fair play to everyone on this thread. I wouldnt have bought them otherwise!

Now for a beer to clam down...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ooky. I drank the kool aid, bit the bullet and pulled the trigger, all at once, on an SF10 RCA.

Sadly I got the 3rd world version with the steel steerer, but at 2500grams with an axle it is still not that heavy.

Anyhow - first impression:
    - the axle is wonderful
    - the sensitivity is superb
    - build quality is fine
    - seals seem OK. Altho the fork seems to sweat some oil
    - adjustments work, but more range would be nice - especially for compression.

Overall on the first impression alone I give it 9/10

neb
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi, I picked up a set of the new Durolux RC2 the other day, its feels pretty damn good on the first couple of rides out. I was impressed! I need to change the damping oil as I'm right on the end of the rebound adjustment. I'm assuming its easy as part of the the Quick Service Product line...?

I'm assuming I need to get to the top of the stantion to get the damper out, so does anyone know how to take the high and low speed compression dials off??

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Email Suntour about the cartridge. Their support is excellent.

I put the RC2 cart in my older RCA model and found the rebound range to be far better. I was on the limit with the old cart and with this one Im closer to the middle. Im 94kgs.

I got the dials off with 2 plastic tire levers. Required alot of force but again email suntour as Im sure they have a better method of getting it out.

Id urge people to fit the new damper to thier old forks. Massive improvement in performance.

neb
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you put the tire levers under the high speed compression dial and lift, or under the low speed compression dial?

I don't want to break them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Under the big blue one which ever that is.

When putting it back on dont forget to line up the smaller dial with the adjuster. You'll know what I mean when you take it off.

neb
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thats great, thanks for the help.

Forums like this are really helpful!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    anyone wants to share some more experiences with the new 2012 models?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Well...

My fork desintegrated after 2 weeks of use.

At first it worked fine, but quickly started to leak air and refused to stop no matter how I wanted to seal it ( even after doing precisely what SR recommends on their website ). Now to make matters worse, the ebay seller I got it from turned to be a crummy one and I am now waiting my second month to get a replacement or a refund.

To make matters more ironic - when it worked, it was truly phenomenal. Right there with zoke 66 rc2 eta I had some time earlier

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Write Suntour an email. Id be suprised if they dont help you out.

mtbr member
    wow, this thread is eye opening! i recently got a NS Soda, and it would be great to have a high performing, stiff fork that can be adjusted externally between 180 and 150. what model would I want for the highest end model in the 5.5lb ish wt range?

i pretty much assumed such a fork did not exist! i've just been doing internal adjustments when I want to go from trail to big bike mode, which is time consuming

Nicholas, I remember enjoying your videos from when you were riding a banshee. great to see that youre still at it and have been stepping up your game most impressively!! A+ tutorial, really classic stuff

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've got a Duro FR20 which is the 160mm spring version. It's brand new and has a nasty clunk on sharp impacts (hitting a 1 inch tall crack in a sidewalk for example). I took it off the bike and verified the clunk is in the fork.... I can make it clunk just but giving it a quick shove to compress it.

It seems like a nice fork so I'll give Suntour a chance to make it right before I buy a new fork!

I e-mailed Suntour to see what they say, we'll see!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    nicholas, I have a new 2011 durolux tad 120-160 travel, I want to follow your oil set-up do you think it is aplicable too on durolux TAD?thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    haven't seen any on ebay lately.anybody know where to get the fork cheap?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    haven't seen any on ebay lately.anybody know where to get the fork cheap?
    just bought on ebay 3hrs ago new 120-160 durolux tad for 250 free shiiping

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsb74 View Post
    just bought on ebay 3hrs ago new 120-160 durolux tad for 250 free shiiping
    You must have got the last one.I'll keep that price in mind for later.Might be a good fork for my GT Sanction if it has a 1 1/8 steerer.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hello!

Im sorry I have never overhauled the TAD version.
    The dampers are the same but, the air spring is different.
    I would love to take one apart and more so give it a ride!

Please have fun and if you have any questions just let me know.

Recently I have been riding the new 2012 durolux RCA2 and its super smooth!

RideOn!

Niko

mtbr member
    Hi All,

The TAD cartridge should not be tampered with as we do not design it to be disassembled and put back together. It is a maintenance free unit and comes in 2 variations depending on the desired travel. 180-140 and 160-120.

I have been running a 26" version in my 29er so that the travel is 120-80. Really is good at lowering the front end on long steep climbs and the air pressure progression is pretty good. I do like the option however to adjust the air volume in our regular air forks however as it just gives the ability for more tuning.

The compression/rebound cartridge is the same on the Durolux so modifications can be made. I will say that only the experienced and well verse do these mods as once the cartridge is open it will void the warranty. On our most recent RC2 cartridges I see less need to even make these modifications as they were taking into consideration during The RC2's developement. The Durolux for 2013 is really a fantastic fork.

If anyone has any questions about these forks shoot me an email. Also we allow consumer direct

Best, Nick
    nmoore@srsuntourna.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Where can I buy the 2013 durolux tad? I been searching on the net but I found nothing but one on ebay only? I need one for really bad

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by vwsb74 View Post
    Where can I buy the 2013 durolux tad? I been searching on the net but I found nothing but one on ebay only? I need one for really bad:madmax:
    Here's a useful site tool that will help you look for your parts.Use the search features.
    Good luck!
    Z
    Road Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Bike Parts | Best Bike Prices - QBike.com
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    In terms of replacement parts or upgraded cartridges, we currently have them in stock for all of our upper end models.

Feel free to give us a call if you need anything.

Nick
    360-737-6450
    nmoore@srsuntourna.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    In terms of replacement parts or upgraded cartridges, we currently have them in stock for all of our upper end models.

Feel free to give us a call if you need anything.

Nick
    360-737-6450
    nmoore@srsuntourna.com
    Nick, so how much is the new rc2 cartridge ? This will fit on my 2011 TAD? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have Durolux RC2 2013 on my Merida One-Sixty and want to make oil service. Does anybody know oil volumes for air chamber and damper leg?
    And is it possible to change travel from 160 to 180 mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Any available bushing kit for the 2011 RCA online? mine has developed some play

And can I fit enduro fork seals on it by any chance?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi.

I'm also a proud owner of new Durolux TA-RC2 140-180 2012, They are WERRY plush (like my old zokis 66RCV), but happynes was preaty short...after yust a couple of rides forks developed same back and forwerd play and they vibrate preaty much when breaking...

So, is there any bushing kit available (if it is in Europe it would be perfect)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    if its still covered with warranty then ring your supplier, they change the bushings free of charge.

unfortunately mine is out of warranty

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Forks are 3 weaks old so the repairs should be covered with warranty....but we (Slovenia) dont have a suplier so the forks were bougth in Germany, and I'm not wery fond of shipping them to Germany becouse it can easely hapen that I'll be for months without them....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry to hear that...3 months...how much riding and what type? mine 2 years old and enduro/park/light dh riding, apart from the bushing issue nothing wrong

I am from Hungary so pretty much same here...friend of mine had to do the same. sent the forks to Germany...as far as I can remember it took 3 weeks...till he got it back..not sure though...could be more

as I heard the new 2013 models have different bushings kinda like fox forks have but wouldnt bet my bottom dollar on it

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not 3 months, 3 WEAKS...3 to 4 days of a weak of trail riding, no jumping, but I'm kind of a big bloak (190 cm/100 kg full gear)....

I wrote to Suntour directly and still waiting for reply...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    oh dear I misread it then...3 weeks ? nothing to say really

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    If anyone has any questions about these forks shoot me an email ...
    what are the differences in the durolux for SF13?

thx ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    what are the differences in the durolux for SF13?

thx ...
    We did not make any changes from 2012-2014 so no SF13. We do have a upgarded SF14 model that has minor modifications in the RC2 cartridge in terms of stock oil and ports. There may have been a minor adjustment in the lower casting but I am not 100% sure on this yet as information is still coming in.

We have the new SF14 Durolux's in stock if you wanted to place an order.

Cheers Nick.360-737-6450

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Sr Suntour Durolux

Seriously thinking about a 2013 RC2 vs a 2013 Marz 55 CR. Anyone here has any experience with both? Need to make a decision soon.

Posted via Tapatalk

Im not as good as my bike
    Sep 2008
    I have experience of Pike 454 Dual Air 09 and Marzocchi 55 RC3 09 on my SC Heckler and having been riding my SF12 Durolux RC2 for about a month can honestly say they are a better fork than the Pikes (which were lighter but not as controlled) and as good as the 55's (which were a lot heavier).

The price new for the Durolux was Ł375, about the same price as a used decent condition Lyrik or Fox 36 in the UK which I was also considering but I am glad I gambled on the Durolux, so far an excellent product. Obviously I cannot quote on the long term durability of these forks yet but I have been running some Epicons on my winter hardtail for a year in the British mud and also commuting with absolutely no issues so that influenced my decision along with a lot of online reading of positive views. The only minuses so far was that the packaging is a bit of a non event and Suntour need to get their arses in gear with some decent tech info for servicing, oil levels etc, this can be a deal breaker for some.

Soooo all in all a fork that performs well above its price point, very tuneable, potentially very serviceable and with the superb Q-Loc axle, better than any I have tried before and very solid.

Hope this helps and yep I understand the scepticism of Suntour, they have not helped themselves with their shocking low end efforts over the years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I went ahead and bought the 2013 RC2.

Here in the Philippines, the price is about US$300 or €230, which is about 1/3 that of a Fox 34. I have been out on 2 rides thus far and have been very happy (more like shocked, really) with the performance.

I weigh 130lbs and loaded roughly 60psi for a 25% sag (for prospective buyers, try putting in half your weight in PSI initially and work from there). Rebound settings are right in the middle while I still try to figure out hi- and lo- speed compression settings.

For such a great fork, the only disappointments for me have been the following:

• Poor documentation on the manual / CD (no word whatsoever on hi- and lo- speed compression, language used could be a lot better as well)
    • Bland white box, and lack of extra decals/stickers (would help with your marketing if your customers could market it for you on shelves, cars, helmets, etc)
    • No O-ring included (a funky blue O-ring to match the decals on the 2013 would have been great)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A question for Durolux TAD users, does the fork extend itself to max travel when in use even if set to a shorter travel? I have an Epicon 100-140mm TA, where if I set it at 100mm, the travel setting creeps to 140mm during use. I don't mind the Epicon at its maximum 140mm since my frame (Haro Shift) feels ok with that. But the Durolux I want to get has a max travel of 160mm (120 to 160 TA). I want to use the fork in 130mm most of the time. I want to use the max travel only for very steep downhills but if the fork will creep on its own to 160mm then I will not get the fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    suntour durolux is confusing! there is cts rc2 and rc only and I don't don't know the difference. weird advertising.

mtbr member
    The Acronym's can be confusing.

CTS = Conical tapered steerer
    RC2 = Rebound, independent high and low speed compression
    RC - Rebound, high speed compression
    TA = External travel adjust (180-140 or 160-120)
    Qloc2 = Tool free quick thru axle 15 and 20
    RL = Remote Lock out
    LO= lock out

Hope that helps.

Nick

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi,
    I just found this interesting thread and would like to ask one thing to Nick (@SRvancouver13) or other experienced Durolux owners:

Is the rebound different from 2011 cartridge and RC2 cartridge?

I would like to upgrade my fork, but since I find the rebound is not effettive on my 2011MY I would like to be sure the rebound in the RC2 cartridge works better.
    Thanks a lot for your answers.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15