Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Is there any benefit with the oil being held in the stanchion? That makes it seem more difficult to hold the oil in, with the rebound damper holding in all the oil.
    Are durolux's parts easy to get?

*singing* I want a durolux...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm currently in trying to get a new airseal, and I asked about getting a new damper. they put me through a distributor & haven't had much luck so far.

Although I'm from NZ, you could try your region, might have more luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know if you cant order a Druolux Chain Reaction sells them.

As for the oil I dont understand what you mean.
    There is the Rebound and compression side on the right with oil in the damper.
    Then the left I add oil to the air spring to make the fork more progressive.
    Its good!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    After I did the overhaul video I had the chance to talk to Suntour.
    The Knolly team is stoked to ride the forks and actually requested it!
    I have been saying I love the fork and its just as smooth as my Fox 36 float as the
    system is the same.

If anyone likes a Fox you will love the Durolux.

As for it being **** I said before dont mix up their low level forks for this as its an after
    market upgrade and not a part off a low level complete bike.

I have a new video coming in a couple of day on how to adjust the air spring!
    Im in the middle of editing.

RideOn!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    <object width='500' height='281'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/215831/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/215831/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='281' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href="http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215831/">How to change the travel on your Durolux</a> on <a href="http://www.pinkbike.com">pinkbike.com</a></p>

How to change the travel!
    RidEOn!

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    [QUOTE=

How to change the travel!
    RidEOn![/QUOTE]

Great descriptive video Niko. I am thinking to lower my Durolux to 150mm with a pvc spacer now.
    Currently still going strong after 3 months on my Mach 5.7.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Great descriptive video Niko. I am thinking to lower my Durolux to 150mm with a pvc spacer now.
    Currently still going strong after 3 months on my Mach 5.7.

Thats great!
    150 is a good length and you can easily be done with a plastic spacer!
    The fork is smooth at any length and I love mine at 130mm.

RideOn!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys, maybe a dumb question, but the RCA fork has replaceable bushings, right ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuco View Post

Not a dumb question.

The durolux can have anything replaced on it.
    Where to buy extra parts for the forks I have no idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas poetker View Post
    Not a dumb question.

The durolux can have anything replaced on it.
    Where to buy extra parts for the forks I have no idea.
    Thanks Nicholas.

There's a shop in my country that services Suntour products, so I'll probably give Durolux RCA a go. They've told me they have everything for Suntour products (or can order it from the EU distributer).
    Also, I've seen dampers and travel adjust cartridges for the Durolux on ebay.de but that's all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Nicholas.

There's a shop in my country that services Suntour products, so I'll probably give Durolux RCA a go. They've told me they have everything for Suntour products (or can order it from the EU distributer).
    Also, I've seen dampers and travel adjust cartridges for the Durolux on ebay.de but that's all.

Very nice!
    If I need some extra parts I will order from you, hahahhahah

All of the parts can be replaced very easily even the seals.
    But, Like I said I havnt seen any small parts for them!
    The fork is a blast to ride man!

RideOn!

mtbr member
    Hello there! I've been reading this thread for a while now, and even though I started it, I didn't actually posted! So, THANKS A LOT to everyone who has pitched in and made this thread a good way to know more about the Sr Suntour Durolux! And Thanks to Nicholas for his awesome videos and super energetic personality! I wish there were more tech videos like his!

After much thought and reading and such, I'm ready to buy a Durolux...there has been a lot of interest in the business in these forks! The new catalog came out, and I'm so happy my Dad is in there! (Team Turbo picture). Edit: Page 22

Now that the fork has low and high speed compression adjust, it's even better! Interested in trying out the shock! Hope I can get them soon!

Thanks again, and keep this thread going! It DOES help a lot!

Heres the link to the catalog...

SRSUNTOUR 2K12 catalogue
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If anyone knows german language, there's a large thread on mtb-news.de about Durolux and tuning abilities for it - LINK

If my google translation is correct , first they talk about Duorlux 2009 which had some problems with slow rebound (resolved with lighter oil) and after they talk about 2010 models, and if I google translated it good , some of the users made new cartridges or something (start reading from the last page ).
    There's a lot of info about it, they mention some problems about it (winter problems, some slang was used so google couldn't translate it ).

Only if someone could summarize all the things they talked about in there - problems (and how to resolve them), tuning capabilities, how are bushings doing after a year or so (some one said they are really short, like 1cm in lenght and that that is weird) etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    @Vuco:
    I am German, so if you want to know anything specific, just go ahead and ask me. I should be able to translate it.

I bought a used 2009 Durolux RCA myself just recently and I was also talking to Niko a lot.
    I serviced it from top to bottom, but I was not able to test it by now.
    I'm really curious about how the fork will perform, but what I can say is, that it does feel kind of sticky when I try to compress the fork in demounted condition even though it is freshly serviced.
    Maybe, however, this is going to be a temporary issue, I can't say since I didn't ride it yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Guys,

I just bought a Suntour Durolux RCA 180mm from chain recation cycle but they send me a 160mm one. Is there a different between the 180mm and 160mm? Can i open up and remove the spacer to increase the travel(Thanks to nicholas poetker for the video)? Or i need to return the fork?

Thanks

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtan13 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I just bought a Suntour Durolux RCA 180mm from chain recation cycle but they send me a 160mm one. Is there a different between the 180mm and 160mm? Can i open up and remove the spacer to increase the travel(Thanks to nicholas poetker for the video)? Or i need to return the fork?

Thanks
    Short answer: yes,
    You can remove/install the spacer (or relocate the pin) to adjust the travel. Pin hole pre-set location is at 140 - 160 - 180mm travel.
    Nicko vid is a great reference for the travel adjustment.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi thanks for the quick reply. So there is only one version of the RCA? I was worry there is 2 different version for the RCA (160mm-140mm-120mm) and (180mm-160mm-140mm).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There is only one version of the Durolux RCA.
    As for the TAD I don't know whether there are two different versions. But, whent you don't want to change the travel yourself, you can return it to them and have them send you one with the correct travel adjustment, since it's their mistake... not yours.
    The guy I bought my Durolux from, bought it from CRC too... and guess what? As I opened the fork up, it was also travelled to 160mm... He obviously didn't even notice it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi mazze,
    I want the fork badly for a upcoming trip so i open it to check. I am a little confused as on nicholas poetker video the 160mm setting should be the middle pin hole but my fork is current on the 3rd hole which is nearest to the spring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Mhh... that is strange. Yours must be in the 140mm setting, then.
    How is it, that you are so sure, you have 160mm of travel? Did you actually measure how much travel you get? The length of the stanchions does not have to equal the "actual" travel you can get... for instance, when I compress my RCA to the fullest, so it actually bottoms out, I have still easily 1cm of the stanchions left but I can feel the bottom of the travel already. You can test this best, if you release all of the air of the fork and then compress it to the maximum.

For the 180mm setting, you need to set the pin/needle to the highest position, like Niko says in his brilliant videos.
    Last edited by mazze; 10-06-2011 at 06:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Im planning to buy durolux, can it be installed on a gt avalanche?

mtbr member
    First I heard about these forks was an ad in this month's Bike magazine. The Knolly the guy was riding is what caught my eye.

I looked all over the ad for some clue as to who made the fork but couldn't find it. I was just about to search on here for it and found this thread.

Googled it this morning to see what the price was and found CRC has them for under $500 with free shipping. With fox and RS forks going for $1000 or more that certainly got my attention. (I'm cheap)

Then I read this favorable review on Pinkbike and combined with Nicholas' positive comments here, I'm thinking this fork sould be worth a look.

With the travel adjust 140-160-180 I could use it on my 5 Spot or as a lighter option on my Knolly DT. (Still can't figure out why Fox doesn't offer the TALAS with these three travel options)

Hmm.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Careful!
    The Durolux RCA does not have an on-the-go travel adjustment option!
    The description of CRC is misleading on that... you only can adjust the travel internally, like Niko shows in his video.
    However, there is the Durolux TAD with travel adjustment for the same price.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I think I'm getting the 2012 DX RC2.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My banshee scythe with 2010 suntour RCA
    I hit a tree at around 40km/h breaking my neck.The forks are awesome, sad to see they're ruined now.

The stantion popped out of the steerer, as the steerer bent back, stantions are still completely straight.
    I'm yet to see if I saved the damper, but I was looking at the 2012 range anyway

mtbr member
    ^^ one word: DUDE!

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyCloud View Post
    I hit a tree at around 40km/h breaking my neck.The forks are awesome, sad to see they're ruined now.

The stantion popped out of the steerer, as the steerer bent back, stantions are still completely straight.
    I'm yet to see if I saved the damper, but I was looking at the 2012 range anyway

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Nasty, nasty hit. I don't think any fork will survive that without major damage done to it.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Does anyone know where to buy small bits for the durolux RCA 20 QLC?
    I am not able to post link so copy-paste it...its an exploded view of this fork:

preview.srsuntour-cycling.com/customGates/scripts/download.php?filename=explosions2010%2FSF10DUROLUX +RCA+20QLC.pdf

Somehow I have bent the damper fixing bolt (no. 4), so I need a replacement as the fork not rideable like this because I cannot insert the bolt all the way in and when assembled it makes bad knocking sound (and a pain to get the lowers off...)

and to prevent any further damage its not the best idea to ride it like this....

Get Some!
    i called up the north america contact number and just told him what i needed and he shipped it to me. no middle man required. You can order what you need directly from them

SR SUNTOUR Cycling

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great work man!

If we need something just call them up!

Makes perfect sense.

What did you order?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what the axle-to-crown height is in 160 mm mode?

Thanks.

Get Some!
    Great work man!

If we need something just call them up!

Makes perfect sense.

What did you order?
    I ordered the seal and wiper kit, and the travel adjust lever. I messaged you on youtube a while ago before i realized you were on pinkbike.

Im gonna attempt to rebuild my fork today, i got all the seals and wipers, and im going to change the oil in the damper.

the tops of my fork keep coming loose and so i have no air pressure, and no oil, and im positive that there is a ton of dirt inside too, so im just gonna do my best to tear everything apart and clean it all. i dont have honey grease though, i wish i did, but looks like im going to have to go with standard 80wt gear oil. i downloaded the pdf service manuel last night while reading through here so even though my fork is the 2009 oem version i think i learned enough about how forks work just from watching your videos that i should be fine. this will be my first major bike project.

i usually take this stuff to a mechanic but i really want to ride it now! lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That sounds wonderful!
    Im sorry to hear your having trouble with your fork but the rebuild your going to do will ensure she is back to new.

I wish you good luck and if you have question just ask me here or on Pinkbike.

as for the top caps coming loose thats odd but you might want to try teflon tap around the caps threads, that should make the threads lager making it harder to come loose.

I add teflon tape to lots of places I think will come loose and dont want to add loc-tight.

Good luck it sounds like a good project!

RideOn!

Niko

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    Does anyone know what the axle-to-crown height is in 160 mm mode?

Thanks.
    Its about 545mm in the 160mm setting and 565 in the 180mm setting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyCloud View Post
    To Hell with the fork, how's your neck and how are you healing?

Get well soon man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    WOW thats a sad story!
    Please take care and heal up!
    A broken neck I cant imagine!

RideOn!

Get Some!
    That sounds wonderful!
    Im sorry to hear your having trouble with your fork but the rebuild your going to do will ensure she is back to new.

I wish you good luck and if you have question just ask me here or on Pinkbike.

as for the top caps coming loose thats odd but you might want to try teflon tap around the caps threads, that should make the threads lager making it harder to come loose.

I add teflon tape to lots of places I think will come loose and dont want to add loc-tight.

Good luck it sounds like a good project!

RideOn!

Niko
    So i took it apart, and its very different on the inside than your fork, but being a total novice, watching your videos helped me understand what does what and why, so i was able to just wing it. i have the fork with the remote travel adjust, and after calling suntour today i learned they can not be pushed to 180, so I'm stuck at the 170 that it is, 10mm is not a deal breaker for me so I'm still happy with the size. Also on that fork (manufactured December 2008) the damper is not supposed to be serviceable, so when i called to ask how much fluid I'm supposed to put in they told me if there is oil leaking or i have access to the inside of the damper then it is beyond repair. even though its threaded and obviously serviceable they didn't have a value for me, but told me i can buy a brand new damper off the new model durolux for 50 bucks that comes with compression adjustments too, so i did that because I'd like to have that adjustment.

The damper on my fork did not come apart in the middle like yours did, it is a solid tube that comes apart at the 27mm top bolt, so with the leg fully extended i filled her up and slowly pushed the rod up, allowing it to over flow into a catch basin, then back down, and back up a few times until i was satisfied there was enough oil on the other side of the damper, i screwed the top back on and put it all back together, it feels better than it did by a lot, but if i put enough air in to be able to take large drops, i have very little small bump compliance.. hopefully the new damper with the compression adjustments is all i need to fall in love with this fork. Ill update when it arrives.

Get Some!
    When I ordered a seal and wiper kit from them it came with bushings. i asked them how i get the bushings out and they said it needed a special tool that they dont sell... so im just going to leave the old bushings in there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey guys.

Anyone stumbled on information when MY2012 duroluxii are going to be available. Along with MSRP.

I am eyeing the SF12 Durolux R. 2000grams of 180mm fork sounds sooo cool :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Awesome job dude!

You did a very nice job and sounds like the damper is working on par.

I know the forks differ between models and years but thats to be expected.
    I think 50 bucks for a new damper is great!
    I hope it will allow you to enjoy your fork more!

My Durolux on the other hand with the set up I did in my video is very plush but ramps up for a bottomless feel.

I hope you can achieve the same feeling with the new compression damper!

Let us know how it went!

RideOn man!

Niko

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    Hey guys.

Anyone stumbled on information when MY2012 duroluxii are going to be available. Along with MSRP.

I am eyeing the SF12 Durolux R. 2000grams of 180mm fork sounds sooo cool :P

I have no idea man!
    But the new damper looks amazing!
    With hi and low speed compression the fork is going to be in a new realm of wealthy plushness.

RideOn!

Get Some!
    Let us know how it went!

Niko
    It came in the mail and i immediately went to my shop and installed it. first thing i notice is that it is so much more adjustable. the rebound has a much bigger range of speed, and the compression nob is a much needed upgrade. i do feel like in a month or two i will need to tear it apart though and put thicker oil in it, it seems kinda soft now, im 225 and im pretty sure it was set up for someone 170. ill ride it for a while though before i decide to do that.

on the trail it has given me noticeably better tracking and my traction has improved a ton, im taking it downhill and to dome dirt jumps tomorrow ill update how it goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thats Awesome buddy!

Is it the same damper that I had in my video?
    If so with oil wt and volume you adjustments are infinite.

I too recently decided to swap out the 5wt for 10wt in the damper because Im also about 200lbs. The damper's compression is very stiff and gives an overall balance to the fork.
    I think a heavier wt oil will improve your ride even more and a little more volume will increase bottom-out resistance for big hits jumps drops and G-Outs!

The Rebound to has a huge range of adjustments so your ride can be set for better performance.

Please have a nice ride man!

RideOn!
    Niko

Get Some!
    Thats Awesome buddy!

Is it the same damper that I had in my video?
    Niko
    yep, same damper. first thing I noticed after taking it on the shuttle runs, and the jumps is that the blue compression nob is nowhere to be found... it bounced right off, and looking at the design it was quite a poor design to not have it latch on is any way. oh well. for jumps i filled it up with a bit more air and it was fantastic. I couldnt adjust my compression though, which sucked, but the more air helped. haha. overall i liked it. i dont think im going to be upgrading for a long time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
    anyone who puts suntour on an Intense frame should be shot and then stabbed in the eye.
    it's like putting ****ty walmart wheel covers on a ferrari.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    anyone know what would be comparable (if it exists) for their 29" forks?

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Anyone uses the TAD? The RCA's price tag is a bit steep for me (I can get good used forks for the RCA's price). I saw guys using the TAD and they said its very good like the RCA, only works differently.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The price difference between the TAD and RCA is only $50NZD

The RCA has a very good damper, where the TAD is apparetly rubbish. My RCA damper was very nice, and easy to work on

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    anyone have experience using it for 650b?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast