Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Specialized sucks! [o]

08 Pitch Comp size medium, everything save the front mech and rear shock swapped out to my own spec from the prior bike. Took a peek in a local dealer to find out if the frame did indeeed have ISCG mounts, and max tire size. Happiness occured all around. The owner gave me an unpassable deal. Incumbent on me now to sell off the old frame and the parts form this bike to offset the cost... Tire in there now is an Intense 2.5 DH with room to spare.

Only FSR/Horst bikes I've been on before were screwing around on buddies bikes. me likey. Prior rides have all been simple single pivots or linkaged single pivots. This felt great, though the crappy stock X-Fusion shock is going. It'll be in the parts bin as a back up shock. Replacing it with a Fox RP23. I've liked the DHX Air on my current frame a lot, but it's not a size I can swap on, and figure to try the RP23 to see how it feels. Getting a pretty decent deal on that as well.

Things to do: the fork and shock swap ought to happen as soon as I get them. Otherwise, I'm awaiting the arrival of a post shim in order to run my beloved Gravity Dropper Descender post in the frame. None of the local shops have the right size in.

Fork is a 180mm domain coil dropped internally down to 160mm, the max for the Pitch without warrantee voidance, and anything taller would whack out the geometry more anyhow. Soon to be replaced with a Totem Solo Air that'll recieve the same treatment - dropping down to 160mm travel.

Today only gave me time for a short shakedown cruise at my local default trails, but so far, so good. Veeeeery nice.

For those wondering what the taller fork did:

HA is between 66-67, on the low end of that. My angle finder is not so stellarly accurate.
    WB is about 45.75"
    BB height bumped to 14.5"

Weight is around 35 with front and rear DH tires. The Fork and shock swap will drop about a half pound, though the Gravity post will add another quarter back on. My favourite non-DH tires on the bike instead will drop another two pounds. Nice.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Huh?
    I am so confused... good review though.

Thread title is too misleading? Maybe. I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    I am so confused... good review though.

Thread title is too misleading? Maybe. I have no idea.
    yes. no. maybe.

more review time as i get the final bits and peices sorted, and get a bit more ride time. based on two hours this afternoon though, it rocks.

mtbr member
    Nice ride, but frankly with your other builds I would have thought you went with the smaller size. Spec seems to like long TT.

I looked into them for a while, almost bought one a few weeks ago on close out...

Looking forward to a review

Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_
    Nice ride, but frankly with your other builds I would have thought you went with the smaller size. Spec seems to like long TT.

I looked into them for a while, almost bought one a few weeks ago on close out...

Looking forward to a review
    It is a bit longer than my normal, but not much. Riding it at the shop it actually felt fine. A bit lower/more stretched, but not in a bad way. I took my favorite ride (the burly hardtail) into the shop to tape measure things side-by-side and double check that my favorite tires would fit.

It was weird today, having to stop to mess with my seatpost a couple times rather than using the Gravity Dropper. Can't wait until the shim gets in.

eBiker
    I see you got the frame for the gold linka.... I mean the FSR suspension.

Nice! Let us know how it rides. Specialized geo has the HA at 67 with a Pike so around 66 sounds about right.

Amazing that an Intense 2.5 will fit, Intense tires are huge.

The brown, orange and gold looks hot!

P

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Cool, good to see somebody with experience on a handful of other bikes likes the new pitch/enduro, looking forward to more feedback from you on this ride..
    Probably no chance to weigh up just the frameset?

Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    Cool, good to see somebody with experience on a handful of other bikes likes the new pitch/enduro, looking forward to more feedback from you on this ride..
    Probably no chance to weigh up just the frameset?
    nah, i only have a little scale - the frame was too much for the thing.

squish is good
    Blech, what a piece of junk .
    Bike good, work bad.

C.U.S.T.O.M
    Aug 2008
    Indeed, Specialized does stink...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Scrub, how is the stiffness of rear end of the Pitch compared to your past bikes? I had a stumpjumper before the covert and it was like a wet noodle when driven into corners and in the chatter. Although that was 2006 and the linkages have all been redesigned.

Quote Originally Posted by pspwesty
    Scrub, how is the stiffness of rear end of the Pitch compared to your past bikes? I had a stumpjumper before the covert and it was like a wet noodle when driven into corners and in the chatter. Although that was 2006 and the linkages have all been redesigned.
    haven't had enough ride time yet to give a detailed review, but:

stiffer than the simple single pivots i've had, and i'd say on par with the covert and preston frames i've had. granted i'm running fat tires with low pressure, and only weigh about 165# all loaded up on the bike, so i may not notice it nearly as much as larger riders. also using a hadley hub with a 10mm bolt through rear that i feel helps to add some rear end stiffness.

so far i'd say it's the bike for me i wanted to covert to be. the nice slack angles i like, with less travel than most big bikes needed to get that slackness.

rp23 will show up tomorrow, and the totem solo air to be lowered to 160mm the day after. better ride impressions after getting all that stuff going and a few more rides in.

Another short one today. Have tomorrow and Friday off, and hope to get in some longer ride/shake down time. Still awaiting the RP23 for the rear, then it's done. Shim to run my Gravity Dropper post showed up last week.

Totem Solo Air lowered down to 160mm travel is #%^@ing stiff as hell. Very, very nice, and a half pound less than the Domain coil. Ran anywhere from 40-60 psi, and have settled on 45psi with four click of high and low speed compression each. That got me ~130mm into the travel on the largest drop of the day, a smooth bit just over 4' to smooth transition. Running right around 30mm sag.

The bike rocks. Very fun, easy to get the front up, very flickable for my kinda' trails and the little trialsy moves here and there. Stiffer in the back and than the Bullit clone frame was, by far. The longer wheelbase and the stiffness: bike easily handles plowing into stuff very well if I'm not feeling like being smooth with line choices. I'm more of a finesse rider than a plow rider, but certainly have plenty of hack moments. The longer TT length than I've beenriding has not been an adjustment to get used to at all, nor the longer wheelbase. Tight, slow speedcornering doesn't seem to be hampered.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Another short one today.
    Jeez, look at that thing! It looks a bit different than with the Pike on it

You should post that to the Specialized forums. It would inspire the other Pitch riders.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P

You should post that to the Specialized forums. It would inspire the other Pitch riders.

P
    Done. It's only 20mm taller than the Pike, not even a pound heavier, but much, much stiffer and burlier. Got it used for way the hell less than a Lyric Solo Air. Gives me the possibility to throw it on a bike meant for the full 180mm if I want to at a later time.

The Spec site lists the Pitch as okay with a 160mm fork, so...

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P

P

He's already inspiring me to ride mine. My girlfriend won it back around June and it hasn't been ridden. Temptation is killing me.
    i ride bikes

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    He's already inspiring me to ride mine. My girlfriend won it back around June and it hasn't been ridden. Temptation is killing me.
    heh, thanks!

just swapped on the rp23 that showed up in the mail today. pissing rain outside; hoping it'll slow up a bit so i can get some ride time in tomorrow. especially with having the day off.

with everything all setup now, it's freakin' light. (well, for what it is with the 2.6" tires, mini-chainguide, big fork) guesstimating ~ 2# less than the previous bike setup, and IMO will be just as durable for my riding.

46" wheelbase, sub 17" stays, now right on 14" bb height, and 66.58 head angle. me likey. i can get nicely stretched out, but the cockpit is still nice and small for throwing the bike around.

Last edited by scrublover; 11-13-2008 at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Isn't the lowered Totem Solo Air great? Me likey. Good looking bike there Scrub.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    heh, thanks!

just swapped on the rp23 that showed up in the mail today. pissing rain outside; hoping it'll slow up a bit so i can get some ride time in tomorrow. especially with having the day off.

with everything all setup now, it's freakin' light. (well, for what it is with the 2.6" tires, mini-chainguide, big fork) guesstimating ~ 2# less than the previous bike setup, and IMO will be just as durable for my riding.

46" wheelbase, sub 17" stays, now right on 14" bb height, and 66.58 head angle. me likey. i can get nicely stretched out, but the cockpit is still nice and small for throwing the bike around.
    I think we're going to make one last effort to sell on ebay. If it doesn't bring what we want I'll ride it. Since she did technically win it I don't really feel right taking it from her. Since it doesn't fit her, we wanted to sell it to get her a road bike that does fit her. If it doesn't bring a reasonable amount, I'm riding it, no need in giving it away.
    i ride bikes