mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Specialized Stumpjumper fsr expert evo 26" 2014

Anyone have this bike yet and wanna post some pictures and give a review? or want the bike/have thoughts on it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It looks like a really fun bike. I bet it's perfect for doing shuttles and some not too serious pedal rides. It's sort of a "new school free ride bike" I guess. I would love to have one honestly but I have not been on one and I haven't even seen one in person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    It looks like a really fun bike. I bet it's perfect for doing shuttles and some not too serious pedal rides. It's sort of a "new school free ride bike" I guess. I would love to have one honestly but I have not been on one and I haven't even seen one in person.
    a 26lb 150mm trail bike is better at shuttling than trail riding?

yes, it's on the shortlist for next trail bike for me, along with the Evil and a couple others, although i really want to try the 27.5 to see if it lives up to the hype.

my current bike

nothing witty here...

Team Chilidog!
    It was up there in bikes for me to get. The problem is I couldn't find one to test ride in my size, so I opted for an Ibis Mojo HD.

BUT-I hope Spesh keeps making them. They look like an awesome trail bike, and heard good things about people who ride 'em.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    I test rode a 2014 Stumpjumper Carbon Evo Expert 26" - at the Specialized 2014 launch event in the Austrian Alps back in August.

I was SO pleased (rather WOWED) by this particular bike that I put a deposit down and am now waiting for it to arrive (around January).

It felt very, very nimble and flickable. Yet it gave me a lot of confidence and most of all it was so much fun and easy to ride.

The 1x11 drivetrain worked well for me - the Pike fork felt fantastic, as did the Kashima Fox RP23 in the back.
    The wheelset felt stiff, light and I loved the muted click-rrrrrrrrrrrrrr of the DT-Swiss freehub.

To top all that off - the matte black/satin stealth theme might be one of the slickest looks Iīve ever seen on a bike.

It is the first time that I spend this kind of money on a bike. I donīt expect it to ride 3 times as good as my previous 2000$ alloy Stumpjumper, but it just tickles my spot.

Just read the rave reviews for the previous model years.

like for the 2013 Stumpjumper Carbon Evo on vitalmtb.com (am I allowed to post that here?)

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger this morning on a brand new 26" 2013 Expert EVO
    carbon for 4K. I hope I didn't go wrong being the bike retailed for 6.4K.
    The only major change is the new and improved Fox front fork.
    Well, the 1x10 is new for 2014, but I think there might be times
    when I may use the granny on long steep pulls. I ended up
    getting the black with the burnt orange and blue trim.

I been eyeballing this for a long time. Never had a FS rig so I'm exited to
    throw my legs over it. Already have a 29er HT so this will be, I hope,
    a welcome change of pace.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the 2014 evo comp. But not the expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I rode a 2014 Stumpy Evo Expert 29 on Sunday and it was waaay good. I rode the S-Works stumpy right before hand, and I would prefer the Evo hands down in every way except the carbon wheels on the S-Works were killer. The suspension didn't climb quite as good as my ABP Trek and it was fairly difficult to manual, but everything else was amazing. I was hucking drops, drifting sandy turns,and cleaning some techie climbs on my very first loop. Only demo bike I've ever ridden that immediately gave me the confidence of my personal bike. Much better than the 2014 Enduro Comp 26 I rode a few weeks back in just about every way IMO.

mtbr member
    Specialized Stumpjumper fsr expert evo 26" 2014-sj-evo.jpg

Update:

Took early delivery of my 2014 Expert Carbon Evo 26".

Had some rides on it and am VERY, very pleased.
    It is a nimble little beast. And coming from a 29" SJ FSR (2011) it got me in some hairy situations, because it doesnīt just steamroller everything. But thatīs exactly why I bought it.
    It is so much fun, flickable, rolls well, climbs good, jumps great, manuals and wheelies effortlessly and it is also LIGHT.

The size Large is rather small for me, so I just ordered some 38mm DEITY mid/high rise bars. Otherwise my seat is XC high compared to the bars

Anyone interested in a more detailed review?

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have SJ FSR 26" carbon evo and i LOVE it. Everybody expects it to perform great going downhill, but i never expected it to also be a great climber

Quote Originally Posted by StJoeRider View Post
    The only major change is the new and improved Fox front fork.
    Fox said that there will be an upgrade program to upgrade 2013 internals for a reworked 2014.

"Those who have 2013 CTD forks haven't been left out in the cold, either, with FOX offering a relatively inexpensive upgrade program that lets riders have their forks converted to use 2014 spec CTD damping levels. The parts to make the change retail for $35 USD, with labour costing $65 USD if you send your entire fork in, or $45 if you ship them only your CTD cartridge."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ordered my 2014 SJ Evo Comp when the became available. I now have many miles on her. I'm coming off of a 43lb downhill monster with 8" of travel. The EVO feels very light (obviously), responsive, and a very capable climber on all but the steepest ascents. When the trail gets extremely steep, it is hard to keep the nose down while maintaining rear end bite. I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam, the bike is a meduim, and I had to swap out the standard command post for the shorter one from the small frame because it would go far enough inside the seat tube for me to ride with the post fully extended.

I absolutely love this bike. I have done jumps, drops, climbs, and quite a few 3 hour trail rides and enjoyed every mile.

There are a few cons, but not many, and nothing that can not be corrected down the road with a few choice upgrades.

1. Rear hub needs more engagement points. When going from coasting to full throttle accelleration, you will notice the slop.

2. I would rather have had a single chain ring and a nice light guide. I have used the granny gear, once, and found it to be too small. If you need anything lower than what the 36-36 gives, you cant keep the front wheel down anyhow.

3. I miss my 20mm front axle. The 15mm is decent, just not as stiff as i am accustomed to. When carving corners, it will flex enough from time to time to hear the front brake rotor drage a bit.

4. Front shifter lacks the half click that allows you to use the entire cassette with out having the chain drag the front derailleur slightly. #2 would rememdy this as well.

5. Bottom bracket rides kind of low. I find that I hit rocks with the pedals 3-4 times a ride. This is probably just a learing curve for the rider.

6. I am also new to 10 speed, and maybe this is normal, but if your cable adjustment isn't spot on, occassionally the chain will skip under hard accelleration. Hard accelleration, as in out of the saddle, giving it all you have.

All minor issues, but worth noting to prospective buyers. All in all, I am extremely pleased with the purchase.

-Will

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wwarnke View Post
    I ordered my 2014 SJ Evo Comp when the became available. I now have many miles on her. I'm coming off of a 43lb downhill monster with 8" of travel. The EVO feels very light (obviously), responsive, and a very capable climber on all but the steepest ascents. When the trail gets extremely steep, it is hard to keep the nose down while maintaining rear end bite. I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam, the bike is a meduim, and I had to swap out the standard command post for the shorter one from the small frame because it would go far enough inside the seat tube for me to ride with the post fully extended.
    I suggest to swap cranks for 170mm or less. I have like 29 inch inseam and going from 175mm to 170mm changed the way how i can spin at high cadence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Has anyone swapped to single chain ring in the front? I've been peeping the 34T narrow wide by from race face.

Did you add a guide or bash guard, maybe just the guide that goes where to direct mount derailleur was?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p2rider426 View Post
    I rode a 2014 Stumpy Evo Expert 29 on Sunday and it was waaay good. I rode the S-Works stumpy right before hand, and I would prefer the Evo hands down in every way except the carbon wheels on the S-Works were killer. The suspension didn't climb quite as good as my ABP Trek and it was fairly difficult to manual, but everything else was amazing. I was hucking drops, drifting sandy turns,and cleaning some techie climbs on my very first loop. Only demo bike I've ever ridden that immediately gave me the confidence of my personal bike. Much better than the 2014 Enduro Comp 26 I rode a few weeks back in just about every way IMO.
    Same for me. I have no idea why everyone isn't on them? I owned a 26" Evo with a 34 at 160mm at the time but after 5 mins on the 29" Evo I was thinking holy crap this thing is a game changer.

Finally stateside again
    i run a 1x10 with a 32t ring up from on my 12 Evo. i love the set ups but on the longer climbs where i live i burn out. when i get back from my deployment in march i am going to an xx1. i think it was a bad idea releasing the bike with a 2x10. the bike rides perfect with the 1x10 and the 1x11 will be amazing

Trail Ninja
    Question for mzorich regarding 1x on the '2012 26" Evo, wouldn't the short 16.5" chainstays make the angle of the chain become even sharper, when in the extremes of the cassette, compared to something with longer chainstays (ex. 17.5" on 29er models)? Would be annoying to get that "click click click" sound of the chain not hitting the cogs straight on enough in the highest and low gears, especially when XX1 is touted to be virtually-silent running. Not to mention the accelerated chain wear of crossing the chain, or whatever the term is to describe that.

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Question for mzorich regarding 1x on the '2012 26" Evo, wouldn't the short 16.5" chainstays make the angle of the chain become even sharper, when in the extremes of the cassette, compared to something with longer chainstays (ex. 17.5" on 29er models)? Would be annoying to get that "click click click" sound of the chain not hitting the cogs straight on enough in the highest and low gears, especially when XX1 is touted to be virtually-silent running. Not to mention the accelerated chain wear of crossing the chain, or whatever the term is to describe that.
    my bike runs dead quite and thats with a chain guide. i have had no wear issues either. with the 1x10 set up i have a little ove 2000 miles on it and im not seeing any crazy wear patters or anything. i ride about 2 times a week 14 to 20 miles a ride and have never had an issue. as far as the xx1 we will have to see but a bunch of people are running them on the evos already and have reported no problems or over fast wearing. im not really to worried

Trail Ninja
    Thanks. Might have to try resizing my chain with a single ring up front soon then. Do you still use the chainstay-mounted dangler thing too, or is that simply just going to add friction?

Looking at the 2014, a quick look shows that the only things that have changed are the paint job, a SWAT bottle cage, no more dangler, 1x11 drivetrain, and basically full SRAM/Spec parts (except the Fox/Spec rear shock).

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Thanks. Might have to try resizing my chain with a single ring up front soon then. Do you still use the chainstay-mounted dangler thing too, or is that simply just going to add friction?

Looking at the 2014, a quick look shows that the only things that have changed are the paint job, a SWAT bottle cage, no more dangler, 1x11 drivetrain, and basically full SRAM/Spec parts (except the Fox/Spec rear shock).
    on my 1x10 set up i use a e13 lg1+ chainguide. when i go to the xx1 i will use no guide and see if it lives up to all the hype