just ride
    Oct 2006

Specialized Romin for AM riding?

I've been using my 2010 Spesh Phenom for almost 2 yrs now and I like them a lot. I was thinking of getting the Romin (I like the wider cut in the middle) for my other AM/Trail bike but before I do, Id like to ask those that have them and are using them for their AM bikes.

I have my saddle setup the same height if not, half an inch lower that my handle bar when I'm pedalling uphill. I want to know if this saddle is comfy for this type of riding. Note that I have most of my weight on the saddle (siting upright) unlike XC/Road where their posture is more hunched.

Thank you.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    No one can tell you how your ass and how any given saddle will get along, see if your LBS will work with you ensure that you are comfortable after purchase/maybe has a demo fleet?. I know Bontrager has a 30 day comfort gaurantee, which comes in a lot of handy for personal fit items like shorts and saddles.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

usually cranky
    ^+1. that is one area no one can help you online. id go to your lbs and take a gander, i think spec does a demo program, so does wtb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    As the others are saying, only you can decide with your comfort level. That being said I was riding the older style Phenom SL and liked it. I tried the Romin SL and I can tell you it is stiffer and, for me, no where near as comfortable. I am now riding the newer style Phenoms and they have been the most comfortable yet. Just for reference I like the Romin on my Tri bike, but for the more upright MTB position, it does not seem to be made for that.

I am not sure what year they changed to the current design, but I think the 2010 is the older style and there is clearly a difference visually and in comfort for the latest design.

Good luck,
    I have found saddle to be a chore to find the right fit, but when you do stick with it.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    I was riding the older style Phenom SL and liked it. I tried the Romin SL and I can tell you it is stiffer and, for me, no where near as comfortable. I am now riding the newer style Phenoms and they have been the most comfortable yet.
    and this...
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Just for reference I like the Romin on my Tri bike, but for the more upright MTB position, it does not seem to be made for that.
    Are the answers I was looking for. I know about the "personal preference" regarding the saddle...

Thanks bpd!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I have used a roman on my last 2 all mountain bikes and I have loved it. But like everyone else says. It's personal preference. Everyone's ass is different.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Have used a Romin on one of my Mountain Bikes, found it firm but comfy. That's the current shape Romin too. Only swapped it out cos I found an old Phenom Gel for silly cheap, in the right width, cos wanted slightly more padding but similar shape.

Would say that the Romin isn't the easiest saddle to get off the back of, especially in baggies, but I personally really liked the shape. Horses for courses though.