mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Specialized Problem

I purchased a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR for 1699, the problem is there is none in the US and the shipment that is coming is stuck in customs for some reason. Its been 3 weeks since I ordered it. I went back to the shop and talked about getting a different bike instead of that bike. What they came up with is a Cannondale Prophet 800, and they will be switching out the dual control levers for LX shifters and avid adjustable levers.

My question for you guys is:

Is it comparable to the stumpjumper? Do you think im making out better or worse?

Namely I just want your thoughts on this situation.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I would definetly wait for the Specialized. No questions asked.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I would wait for the Specialized, I got the same bike 3 months ago and it is awsome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I say ride the Cannondale, and see which one you like better. I rode both these bikes when looking for a new bike. I am an agressive rider, and the Prophet pretty much kicked the SJ's ass for everything but pedaling uphill. The extra travel was definetly noticable on the downhills, I could hit stuff faster than on the SJ. And no matter what anyone says about the Lefty, it is a hell of a lot stiffer and plusher than the fork on the SJ. Thats the main reason I bought the Prophet, the quick-release fork on the SJ felt like a noodle after riding the Lefty.

The SJ did pedal faster and climb better than the Prophet, which makes sense considering the SJ has FSR suspension and is a few pounds lighter.

So I say if you are an aggressive rider go for the Prophet, if you enjoy the uphills more than the down go for the SJ.

mtbr member
    i test rode both bikes in my bike search, and i liked the stumpy alot more. just my 2

EDR
    From what I understan about the Prophet...these two bikes are in different catagories and their strenghts are not made to compete with one another.

You need to know what you want before deciding what bike is better. They are both great, but different.

mtbr member

Riding Style

Definitely depends on your riding style. Thge SJ is more suited for cross country and will pedal better uphill. The Prophet is geared more towards aggressive riding and can handle the rougher stuff better, but doesn't pedal quite as well uphill. However, for having the travel it has, it's pedals pretty damn good uphill. And I'm with Colodude on the lefty. It's an awesome shock. Sure, it has it's drawbacks when you want to put it on a roofmount roofrack, but considering how the shock handles, it can be esaily overlooked. You should ride both and see which one you like better. They are both a good bike, but in two different categories. Let your riding style choose which one for you....

Demon Cleaner

You need to ride both

It would be crazy to decide on either without riding both around and deciding which one fit you better.

Having owned both Cannondale FS and Specialized FSR, I'm a Spec fan, but you are the one who has to live with the decision.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I will say that I do like the feel of the lefty fork. Another problem that I had was the bikes I got to test ride where a large stumpy and a large prophet 1000. They didnt have medium in either, I'm 5' 6"

The good thing about the shop is that they will have the prophet in for me today or tomorrow and if I am truely disatisfied with it then they will take it back and I can wait for the stumpjumper to get in. Which is cool of them but dang I'm missing out on some good riding days here!!!!

mechmann_mtb
    forget the SJ and get an Enduro if you like the extra travel. i'm a lefty-hater, no one-legger is gonna be better than a Fox 36.

btw, i was joking about the lefty-hater comment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anymore opinions or anyone who has rode both?

Birthday Collector
    While I think that Cannondale are nice-handling bikes, I see problems with the Lefty when they get a bit older - they tend to not handle water well, and are more complicated (expensive) to have worked on. Fox forks seem to seal better and can be serviced about anywhere you find a decent shop. As far as which is better, I would personally stick it out for the SJ, but you should try the C'dale and see if you like it. I am not really a Canondale fan, but those who like them are pretty loyal, and they are a decent bike. I just think that Spec is a better pick - climbs better and smoother overall "trailbike". If you want some big-hit action, then the Prophet will be a better absorber, but you'll pay some on the climbs!
    Just my opinion!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The bike came in today and I went to look at it. I really like it but I didnt ride it yet, I was on lunch break and they were still building it.

BUT

As I said they were replacing the dual controls for LX shifters and avid speed dial levers. Come to find out that the dual controls were hydraulic brake levers, so instead of the speed dials they upgraded me to avid Juicy 7's for free!

This turned out to be a good thing!!!