malibu
    Jun 2006

... and if we just ... Specialized Hardrock Sport Women

Okay, I am pretty new to all this. I ride on the paved bike path across the street from me but I am also wanting to go on some local trails. The guy at my LBS suggest that I get this bike:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...&bikeTab=story
    but I wanted to get the opinions of other people too! I am 5'2"-5'3" so I definitely need a small frame! Thanks!

Mallory

SXtreem now
    that is a good place to start. if you plan on getting serious, think about a Womens Rockhopper. It is a lighter bike and spec'ed a little nicer. if you REALLY want to get serious into biking get a FSR XC or even a Stumpy.

local trails rider
    The Hardrock is not the greatest bike out there but considering the cost... It should get you started OK.

Looks like you already know that frame size is important.

Women's geometry usually means that the frame is a little shorter to accommodate long legs and short torso. For some women a "men's" frame might be better but the seat needs to be changed to something that works together with a woman's pelvic bones.

Can you test ride (or even sit on) some bikes that are about the right size? The length of the cockpit is important: you do not want it too short or too long.

ride hard take risks
    Definatly check out your fit between a woman specific bike & a standard. As mentioned some women fit a standard bike better. Another bike to look at is the Ibex if you fit a standard, few duckets more but better components.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-450-Details.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Women's geometry usually means that the frame is a little shorter to accommodate long legs and short torso.
    I thought women were generally the opposite, i.e. a longer torso and shorter legs.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch_
    I thought women were generally the opposite, i.e. a longer torso and shorter legs.
    That is correct, i think Squatch_ was doing a head stand when thinking.

local trails rider
    http://www.titusti.com/womensfit.html
    : The other challenge a female faces is that of overall body dimensions. The typical male rider has a long torso, shorter inseam, and long femurs. Conversely, females are typically long legged, with a shorter torso and short femurs. A female’s fit on a bicycle compared to her male counterpart of the same height can be vastly different.