mtbr member
    May 2010

Specialized FSR Expert Saddle question.

Hello all, my FSR came with an all white saddle, something I'm not digging and want to replace. If possible I would like the same seat but in black. Anyone here know what model Specialized I should be looking at to replace it and what the current value of my seat might be to get an idea of how much I shoudl be spending. I would hate to buy a black seat and later find out the seat that came with the bike was better. If possible I would like to stay under $100.

Thank you!

GAME ON!
    maybe ask your LBS if they can swap it for you? you'll never find a concise answer for this as a saddle is perhaps the most personal of any bike part and what works for someone else may not work for you.

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009
    So the saddle fits ok you're just not liking the color? If that's the case you can just get the same saddle in black. Looking on spesh's site it looks like the expert carbon is the model that came with a white saddle. The tech specs for the bike list the saddle as a Format model. The size of your bike can also affect the size of your saddle so you need to know if your saddle is 130 or 143mm so you get the fit you want with your new saddle.

Here's a link to the Format in black
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9302&eid=5007

you can also check with LBS in your area. Many have demo saddles programs if you want to try other saddles before you buy. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That's it! The funny thing is here in my area all FSR Expert non carbons come with a white seat. So since I have a "L" I'll get the 130mm.

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    2nd question. Since my bike came with a 130mm, how uncommon would it be to go to a 143mm? I'm looking at the Specialized-Phenom-saddle, the $85 one. Will I notice a huge difference or should I just say with the width that came with the bike a 130mm?

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009
    Funny, I just went through a similar situation. I bought a new SJ hardtail size 17.5. This bike came with a 130mm Phenom. I needed something wider. My last bike had a 143 spec saddle so I just ordered an exact Phenom in 143 and it's day/night difference for me.

The Phenom is a nice saddle. I'm glad the wider size worked for me. I like the sleek minimalist saddle. Interesting thing is the package on my new Phenom said it was a road saddle however spesh market it as a mtb saddle and include it as oem on their mtbs, take that for what it's worth.

If you're still not sure about the size the best thing to try to do is find a shop with demo saddles that you can try. Next best thing would be to find a spesh dealer that has an ass-o-meter ( butt measuring device ) to try and figure what saddle size would work best for you.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Turns out my stock seat is 143mm. I measured it. Thank God I did.

mtbr member
    Get measured at your Specialized LBS for your saddle width, then you'll know which width will fit your pelvis best.

Quote Originally Posted by Icon
    2nd question. Since my bike came with a 130mm, how uncommon would it be to go to a 143mm? I'm looking at the Specialized-Phenom-saddle, the $85 one. Will I notice a huge difference or should I just say with the width that came with the bike a 130mm?
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icon
    That's it! The funny thing is here in my area all FSR Expert non carbons come with a white seat. So since I have a "L" I'll get the 130mm.

Thanks!!!

My '10 Stumpy FSR Comp came with the same white seat, swapped for a WTB PureV in black, great seat for $40.