mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Specialized FSR brain system

I just bought a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I've been told that the biggest problem with the suspension system with this bike is adjusting it to your weight and type of riding. This is my first full suspension bike and a huge upgrade from my other bike so i'm on new ground. Any tips on how I can go about making the needed adjustments?

This is also my first bike with air shocks. What is the suggested air pressure for them? My prefered type of rides are singletrack trails. I'm about 160 lbs.

On trails where I don't need a cushy ride such as logging roads, but I don't want to lock it out, what would the max air pressure be...about?

Is there a specific order in which I should make adjustments or just just keeping moving things around until it feels right.

Thanks

mtbr member
    dont go by pressure, usually there is recommended sag you should try to stay within
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    I agree set the sag don't worry about psi. Also about the brain system, get it serviced BEFORE you run into issues. When things go bad it's a big deal.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It can be different from shock to shock as I hear, but a good starting point for the rear suspension is usually your body weight with riding gear/water in PSI. Then from there go by 20-30% sag.

meh... whatever
    don't go by PSI, go by sag.

visit your specialized dealership and they can provide you with a sag gauge. makes setup quick and easy.
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I like a bit of squish, so I've played around with pressure until the O ring stays on the shaft with a couple of mm (1/8") to spare during the course of a normal ride.