mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Specialized EVO or COMP

Which one would be best and most durable for trails that are long climb rollercoaster and long downhill rollercoaster. My fave trail is 8k up and 8k down, Lotsa medium rocks and roote bothe ways, My present bike is a C'dale Prophet. Does well - getting older.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'd go with the comp. The evo is more of a park bike now and wouldn't climb as well as the comp. Both can handle the downhill you describe.

If you aren't set on specialized, there are many other 160mm bikes that are worth looking into.

mtbr member
    I would go EVO, it climbs just fine and the 8K decent would warrant the geometry of the EVO

RideDirt
    Go with the EVO

Stand back
    The EVO geo is 1.5deg slacker, which would make a big difference in climbing as well as descending. An adjustable travel fork might be in order to make the EVO into a better climber.
    For an 8k' descent, the Comp's shock might be a little overwhelmed. I've got a Pushed Monarch + on my '12 Comp, which is a nice compromise. Unfortunately, Push is no longer making the Enduro mods to the Monarch (the shock body requires a little machining in order to fit the frame).
    Last edited by dbabuser; 01-30-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Tough call. I just got my 13 comp and have been putting in some time in stock trim before I do my build out. I must say it pedals better than any previous enduro and is a monster truck on the descents. I personlly would not want to give up its climbing abilities for the descents especailly with the type of climbing you do. I would look at it like that. Where do you want you bike to work best up or down. I feel the Enduro comp is a great split between the 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How steep and fast is the descent? How rocky/technical is it? Many drops/jumps etc?

I did some 3K ascents and descents on my old 2008 stumpy, and it was okay (too much bob when my fat ass got out of the saddle). I think that the descent type and your riding style will dictate what your should get. But with any slack 6" bike that you're gonna climb with, consider getting a u-turn lyrik. Dropping the front on the climb is a god send when it comes time to descend. Also, make sure that your shock can stay up with you during your descent.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Wait, OP never said which Specialized bike. I assumed he meant SJ but if you are talking Enduro, that's a different story. Stumpjumper EVO or Enduro Comp is my vote

THAT guy
    If it was 2011/12 Comp and Evo it would come down to price and coil vs air. But 2013 is different, Now its more like Enduro or SX Trail... Two very different bike (and a different frame). Go with the comp, unless you plan on hucking the crap out of it.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    Wait, OP never said which Specialized bike. I assumed he meant SJ but if you are talking Enduro, that's a different story. Stumpjumper EVO or Enduro Comp is my vote
    I am asking about Enduros. I'm also talking stock bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist View Post
    I am asking about Enduros. I'm also talking stock bike.
    Then I would go Comp if I were you. My brother in law has the Evo and he rides it everywhere but he is also a beast. For extended climbs, the Comp is best but it is also more than capable on the DH