mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Specialized Enduro Sl vs Foes 2:1 frx

I am looking at two new bikes the Specialized Enduro Sl Expert FSR and the Foes 2:1 FXR. Both have 6" suspension.
    I live in houston, texas so we have no mountains, but the trails have alot of roots and rocks all singletrack, with some good climbs for a inner city trail. I ride very aggresive and jump everything i can. I have a Kona Bear but i cracked the frame, so now it is time for a new bike.
    So I would like to get some feed back about these two bikes.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Foes hand down every day of the week.

fight the system

nitty gritty

Anyone have a clue what either of those two frames weight?
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I love how laterally stiff foes are, I hated how the curnut shocks worked. I had the older gen FXR with the curnut shock, sent it back a few times, supposedly one of those times was a rebuild, it never worked very well, made the entire bike feel like it was about to snap in two when I was going down rocky chutes at speed. I'd have to do a lot of riding on a foes again with the current shock to be convinced it's a good idea, simply because the curnut was that bad compared to stuff that actually did a good job of suspending.

I'm not sure if the enduro SL is the right bike for you, but I'll also say this; One of the other problems with the FXR was the excessively long shock bolt that was used in the scissor linkage. Due to the excessive length, it was very easy to bend because all the leverage could act on that length. This was the other big shortcomming IMO. This also meant that the FXR wasn't that great for jumps and drops, because those were what tended to bend the bolt.

The new FXR could address both of these issues, but I'd personally go with something else like a ventana.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Former Bike Wrench
    Interesting...

I have two riding buddies who have '05 FXR 2:1's and have had none of the problems that Jayem described. So maybe whatever the issues were...they fixed them. Or maybe he got a lemon...it happens (as a former mechanic and warranty manager, I've seen it). I got to ride my buddies FXR for a two hour ride and found it to be one of the nest riding bikes I've ever been on.

I will admit though, the Enduro SL is a good looking rig. I personally have been riding a shock similar to the rear shock on it (its made by X-Fusion, and I am riding a X-Fusion 02 PVA) and really like it. The fork looks cool, but its hard to say how that will perform.

Tough choice...think I'd probably go Foes in the end

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey guys,
    I have the Enduro SL and love it! No problems at all and I am 6'3 248 pounds! This bike kicks ass!
    It handles like it's on rails and climbs better then my hardtail! Big drops, small drops it takes it all with no problems.
    The bike does not bob and all on the road either. INCREDIBLE BIKE! The components it has came with are matched up with the bike pretty dam good. if you go any lighter you are starting to sacrifice strength.
    Hands down..................SPECIALIZED COMP! Go get a test ride and let the bike sell itself..........

thats right living legend
    Foes anything.... no contest.

Specialized's are nice, but up against something like a Foes, it isn't really the same thing?