Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

SPECIALIZED Enduro Shock Probs?

I recently sold my entry level XC bike with a Bar 1.2 air shock. Little did I know hoe GREAT IT WAS!
    Heres the question, I rented a Spec. Enduro with a Fox RP2 shock and it TOTALLY SUCKS and I need to know why!!!!!! The bike spit oil out the air filler cap when I released some air, it holds pressure, but 250psi feels no different than 190. The bike bobbs and bucks when I ride it and forget jumping it (all your POP is gone) and even though I can tippy toe the ground when I stop, when I pedal I dont get almost full extension of my legs, more like 90 degrees.
    Im shopping for a new bike, it this a BAD SHOCK or it this just how these particular bikes are? I did fully adjust the setting on the shock, the propedal dont do NOTHING
    The front shock is BADASS, Im looking for a stout XC bike with at least 5inches travel, and the ass end CANNOT sag. I hate wasted pedal effort
    I should note, that my buddies new RP23 w/ only 160 psi moves 2.5inches LESS when I compress it.

HELP ME PLEASE SMART PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rent a different bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a 2010 Enduro with the RP2, it sounds to me like the one you tried may have had a bad shock. I can definitely tell a difference in air pressure on mine, and I can tell when the pro pedal is on/off. I can't say the pro pedal is a huge difference, but if I'm riding on a hard surface the rear end feels more "squishy" with pp off.

I think getting some oil squirting out when you let out air is normal, all my shocks (and forks) have done that. They have to have oil in there to keep everything lubricated, and there is no way to keep the oil from escaping with the air when you release pressure.

I would try testing a different one - maybe go to a different shop. I love my Enduro - it is a great descender & much better at jumping then my old bike. Sounds like your expectations on rear end bob may be a bit too high though. If you want something that has ZERO pedal bob, I'm not sure you can get there with an Enduro. I bought one because I was willing to give up some XC/climbing efficiency for a better downhill experience. It definitely does not climb as well as an XC bike (not that it is a bad climber - it's just not its specialty), but what I lost on the uphill, I more than gained on how much fun it is going down. If you are really picky about pedal bob, you may want to focus on a more XC oriented bike. The Enduro is more downhill oriented.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    Rent a different bike.
    + 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Alizar, thank you for your input! I definetly prefer more DH, but I was hoping to find a bike that can do both w/o braking the bank. I think I'll look for one with a better shock.
    PS, do you get that HUGE sag when you sit on your bike too? I love the way she descends, but on falt ground knees dont get to extend and my seat is SO HIGH I can barely mount the bike.

mtbr member
    It sounds like that shock has a blown damper. If the seal on the damper has blown, the oil from the damper will enter the air chamber, resulting in oil coming out when you let out air. A blown damper also explains why the bike rides like a pogo stick. Pro-pedal is compression damping, so that won’t work either. As for the pressure, it is also possible that the shock is “stuck down”. This shock needs an overhaul.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronston
    ........This shock needs an overhaul.
    You are right that the shock needs an overhaul, but it's not the OP's problem to fix it since it's a rental. Just go back and ask for another bike to rent that works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I know rental bikes are subject to all sorts of thrashing, but the shop told me the bike was NEW in April, is it really possible to blow it out with normal wear in this short of time, or do you think its a premature failure? The guy told me it has about 100 miles on it....truthfully, he really shouldnt know this, and it seems low especially since I put 45 on it in 1 day.
    Well its settled, nIll ask for a stumper jumper next.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickOne
    Alizar, thank you for your input! I definetly prefer more DH, but I was hoping to find a bike that can do both w/o braking the bank. I think I'll look for one with a better shock.
    PS, do you get that HUGE sag when you sit on your bike too? I love the way she descends, but on falt ground knees dont get to extend and my seat is SO HIGH I can barely mount the bike.
    My goal was also a bike that can do both, but one that is more DH-oriented. You will never find a bike that excels at both functions, but for me the Enduro fits what I wanted perfectly. It sounds like you want something that is more well-rounded - the stumpjumper may be closer to your needs.

I get a fair amount of sag (it is a 160 mm bike), but not what I would consider HUGE. I also ride dirt bikes (w/ 12" of travel) though, so my reference is a little off. The bike should have a sag indicator on the left side of the seatpost - mine sags about 20-25% when I sit on it.

I don't understand how your knees can't extend all the way. Is it possible the frame is too small for you? I have no problem with that on mine. Even if the bike does sag a lot, that does not change the distance or geometry between the seat and the pedals. The seat on my Enduro is a little higher than my old bike, but only by about a half inch, and part of that is because I wanted to run it taller because it has an adjustable seatpost.

mtbr member
    It makes no sense to get a Stumpjumper next time. Also this is not a specialized thing at all. A defective Fox shock will fail weather it is on a Specialized, Trek, Ibis, or whatever. Occasionally a shock fails prematurely, but this is meaningless, as thousands of shocks don't fail prematurely and work perfectly for years. One defect is totally meaningless and can't be used to draw any conclusions, especially about what bike to get. It's like arriving in Hawaii on a rainy day and concluding that Hawaii never gets sun, and leaving on the next plane out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The shock is "locked down." This happens if the air pressure was too low and the shock was bottomed out, the air will leak into the "wrong" side of the air chamber. Time for a rebuild.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronston
    It makes no sense to get a Stumpjumper next time. Also this is not a specialized thing at all. A defective Fox shock will fail weather it is on a Specialized, Trek, Ibis, or whatever. Occasionally a shock fails prematurely, but this is meaningless, as thousands of shocks don't fail prematurely and work perfectly for years. One defect is totally meaningless and can't be used to draw any conclusions, especially about what bike to get. It's like arriving in Hawaii on a rainy day and concluding that Hawaii never gets sun, and leaving on the next plane out.
    Its makes perfect sense if thats the next UP model to rent that they have.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Its makes perfect sense if thats the next UP model to rent that they have.
    How is the Stumpy the next up? It is in a different class of bikes than the Enduro.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Im looking for a Free ride, DH bike, or a heavy XC w/ 6 inches or more travel. Thats the Next UP that this shop has to rent.

mtbr member
    I thought you said you wanted a freeride/DH oriented bike and the Stumpy is less AM/FR/DH and more XC than the Enduro. It just seems like the wrong direction, based on your stated preference. You should try an Enduro that is not busted, and maybe an SX Trail. or equivalent.

GAME ON!
    why are you putting 250 psi into the shock? a fox rp2 does not suck. it is certainly better than a bar. i have an enduro with an rp23 and it is considerably better than the afr.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This is a weird and random thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have an rp2 with the same problem. It wasn't always like that. Sending it to fox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    why are you putting 250 psi into the shock? a fox rp2 does not suck. it is certainly better than a bar. i have an enduro with an rp23 and it is considerably better than the afr.
    Umm because it did do **** with 200in it which is the CORRECT pressure for me. More or less to prove it is broken. You are a idiot, in this case it WAS worse than my cheapo Bar, unless your ass sat on the 2 bikes I rode you should butt out kindly. You troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam
    This is a weird and random thread.
    As is your comment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    First off the RP2 doesn’t suck, you may have just had a bad shock, although I have a 2010 Enduro w/the RP2 and it squirts oil out when I let out pressure as well, but it works perfectly for me. I think the new Enduro is made to be more “soft” in the rear, so if you want one that doesn’t sag so much, I think look elsewhere. For the bobbing and bucking, sounds like you have too much air pressure, but then I am a little confused because you are complaining about 2 opposite problems, first it is too soft, and then it isn’t soft enough or bucks you off. As for jumping, this bike is great for it, unless you are going for DJ or something like that, but for drops, and small to medium and some larger jumps this is a great bike. For the leg extension, sounds like you just need a larger bike and/or seat post. The Enduro is definitely not efficient at pedaling, you may want to look at (if you want to stick with Specialized) the FSR models, the Stumpjumper is a great and pretty stout XC bike, and if you want a little more fun on the downhill, and still be able to go up, try the Pitch or even the older Enduro models. If you want one that the rear end CANNOT sag, I think your best bet would be a HT. Although further down in this thread you mention that you want a FR/DH or a heavy XC bike. Those are two bikes that are very different. I think you need to figure out what exactly you want to do with the bike first. If you are more into the DH and going to be shuttling up, then get a FR/DH bike. But if you are wanting to ride up or even some XC with it, I suggest an AM bike, so that you can get around the flats fairly well (have good pedal efficiency), as well as enjoy the ride, without having to worry too much about breaking the XC bike on the way down. So again like Bronston had said, based on your stated preference, even though they contradict each other a little bit I think you would be best suited with an AM bike and the Pitch and Enduro are the 2 that Specialized offer. (I have only mention Specialized in this post just because I didn’t know if that is what you preferred since everyone else was talking about them)

Well hopefully the SJ works out for you, or if you can try a different shock on the Enduro. Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Look everyone, this is the meat and potatos.
    The bike is a RENTAL. THE SHOCK was pumped by me to 250psi to see it there was a difference in stiffness between 190psi my correct amount, and 250. THERE WAS NO difference in shock stiffness!!!!
    There was very little difference when I released pressure to 60 psi.
    So please quit trying to figure out why I do what I do, its a process called "elimination."
    I also stated that the Pro Pedal function did not work as well on this shock.

So all this aside, it anyone can recommend a GREAT all mountain bike with LOCK OUTS and at least 5inches of travel please let me know. (under $ 4500)

GAME ON!
    Umm because it did do **** with 200in it which is the CORRECT pressure for me. More or less to prove it is broken. You are a idiot, in this case it WAS worse than my cheapo Bar, unless your ass sat on the 2 bikes I rode you should butt out kindly. You troll
    ... for real? awesome. you're the one asking for help, not me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    From Specialized, the Enduro is great, and you can get it for under $3000 for the Comp, and under $4500 for the Expert or even the Evo(not going to be what you want) for that matter. Or even better of a deal forwhatyou get for your money is the Pitch. A good climber and even better decender, for fraction of the cost, with the Comp going for under $2000, and the Pro for just over $2000, you get much better components.

With that being your price range, it shouldn't be difficult to get a great AM bike. And you shouldn't find anything less than 140-150 of travel in a AM bike at that price. Finding a fork that has lockout is going to be fairly easy. Finding the rear shock that will be up to your standard with a lockout/ zero bob, is going to be a little harder. The RP23, has the 3 ProPedal settings (no lockout) but there is a "firm" setting. The Fox Float RL, has a lockout setting according to their website, although I have never used one. I know the Fox Triad has a lockout setting as well.
    Also, have you thought about a high end model HT? It will get you your zero bob that you want, and with the right components you can even decend well with it. All depends on what you plan on doing with it. I suggest with that budget for a AM bike, just check out the Reviews section of this website, look for some that have great reviews, find out which ones you think you might like and what ones are a definite no and go from there. Like I said before, $4500 will get you quite alot in an AM bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was wondering, for what reason are you looking for a lockout on the rear anyways? Nowadays, lockout isn't really any good unless you will be riding on the road or smooth trails alot. Now with the way shocks have improved over the years, ProPedal is the way to go. For technical riding, some travel in the rear is good to help keep traction while riding over obstacles. So I think lockout would be somewhat pointless for what it sounds you want the bike for, unless you are getting this as your only "do it all" bike, and not just the mountain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast