mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Specialized Enduro, M5 vs. Carbon

I am looking at buying a 2008 Enduro Comp SL. I am currently looking at two bikes, one frame is M5 aluminum and the other is Carbon. The price difference between the two bikes is about $100.00. The trail system I ride the most is the Cuyuna trails in MN. I spend a lot of my ride time in the "rock garden" trails. The reviews on the Enduro stated it was a great all around bike for the person who can only have one bike to ride. The reviews didn't break it down between frame material though.

This will be my first full suspension bike purchase. I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks

mtbr member
    The Comp SL doesnt come in Carbon. You arent comparing the same bike build packages. If they were otherwise the same bike, the bike with the carbon frame would be much more expensive because carbon is much better.

The below link shows the 2008 models:
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Aluminum frame is a Comp SL and the carbon frame is a Pro SL Not really sure what the differences are?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [QUOTE=jtnord;9555168]The Comp SL doesnt come in Carbon. You arent comparing the same bike build packages. If they were otherwise the same bike, the bike with the carbon frame would be much more expensive because carbon is much better.

So, I should spend the extra $100.00 and go for the carbon pro?

mtbr member
    The frame is the same but one is carbon and one is aluminum. If you look at the link I posted and compare the bike specs you will see the Pro SL Carbon has better components in addition to a lighter, stronger carbon frame.

Given the small price difference either the Pro SL needs repairs/replacement parts and the Comp SL is in much better condition or the Comp SL owner is asking way too much.

With out knowing any more details, I would personally lean towards the carbon even if it needs immediate repairs/ replacement parts (which most all used bikes need).
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the link and the advice!!

usually cranky
    carbon for sure.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    I say carbon if you have the cash. Either way you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ended up buying the carbon fiber pro sl. Thanks for the advice everyone!