mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Specialized Enduro FSR advice needed

[N00b Extreme Mode -ON]

Okay, so I'm trying to get into MB'ing and I have an opportunity to buy the Enduro. However, the owner doesn't know what year it is and so I don't know what a fair price would be to offer. The bike seems to be in decent shape but needs a tuneup badly. 1) How can I tell what year the frame is? 2) How do you determine fair market value for this bike? Any help appreciated.

Amazin

TNC
    noMAD man
    Post a pic and we can tell you. Some of these Enduro models even as old as '97 and on can make a decent trail bike depending on what you want to do. A pic would show us what year, shock, and fork are present, which would make a big difference on choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    if its the tubular frame, its pre 2002, if its the monocoque frame then its 02 - 04 or 05. great bikes. I have an 02 myself

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Okay, here is a picture. Hopefully, it is clear enough to tell. Can the shock and forks on this bike be upgraded? I weigh ~240lbs and I need a suspension that will support me hitting some decent jumps eventually. Thanks,

Amazin
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OSoAmazin
    Okay, here is a picture. Hopefully, it is clear enough to tell. Can the shock and forks on this bike be upgraded? I weigh ~240lbs and I need a suspension that will support me hitting some decent jumps eventually. Thanks,

Amazin

The main frame on that bike is strong. The back end, a bit flexy. The stock Rock Shox was terrible. All can be upgraded. At 240lbs, the rear end will be a bit rough. If you got the bike for free you could easily spend $500 to get into a nice bike. Personally, I would recommend just buying a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What suspension components should I be looking for? I rode a 2003 Enduro FSR and that suspension seemed to be much better. Although, I didn't get to play in the dirt with it so I can't be sure how it would behave. Thanks for the advice though. Keep it coming!

mtbr member
    With all the changes in bike technology, I would look at new over used unless you are getting this for an AWESOME price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What would be an awesome price (other than free of course)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What suspension components should I be looking for? I rode a 2003 Enduro FSR and that suspension seemed to be much better. Although, I didn't get to play in the dirt with it so I can't be sure how it would behave. Thanks for the advice though. Keep it coming!

I actually have the a 1998 FSR that I have modified and still ride to this day. It has a PUSHED Fox Vanilla R (6.75 X 1.75) shock and uses a BETD link (also use BETD bearings). This gives 5.8 inches of rear wheel travel. Really plush but still easy to climb. Up front I use a 2003 Manitou Black Super 120 in which I have modified the shim stack to suit my needs. Again, firm but plush. Personally, I love the bike and come back to it every time I try a new bike.

In total, those things cost me ~$750 (fork, shock, Push upgrade, BETD link, BETD bearings). For me it was worth it. However, the bike does not have disc brakes (which I want), has a really high BB (14.5 inches) and is about 29-30 lbs. Not to mention, the back end is a bit flexy (I am 195 lbs).

TNC
    noMAD man
    Wow, I have that exact frame hanging on the wall in my shop. It's a '99 FSR Enduro. That rear shock sucks...prehistoric RS. The fork is lousy by any of today's mediocre standards. On mine I thought the rear link had the wrong rate of compression. I put an MRP swing link kit on mine back in '99, and it increased travel and totally changed the bike. Today you'd have to get a BETD or Risse link. Also by today's standards, the head angle is rather steep. To be honest, even though I had lots of good times on my modded '99, I think you'd do better to get something more up to date.

Wuss extraordinare
    new,new,new, I can't say it enough, new. You will outgrow that frame and its abilities in 6 months. For a new bike you can get similar performance at about the 500-700 level and have a new bike.

trail waggler

What they said...

I had a '99 Enduro ('03,'04' now SX Trail), with a BETD link and bearing kit. The BETD link isn't so good. The leverage ratio on the frame isn't great to begin with, and the link makes it worse. My '04 with a Vanilla R coil was very nice, but the SX Trail takes the cake.

Skip that bike, and get a deal on a newer Enduro.
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    yeah technology has advanced SO much since then.. that bike is 8 years old. dont get me wrong. just cause its old doesnt mean its a bad bike. i have an old as dirt giant iguana that still runs fantastic. its just with a bike thats gonna take a beating. you need something thats been refined over time. you will not regret picking up a new (or atleast newer) enduro or sj.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    I had a '99 Enduro ('03,'04' now SX Trail), with a BETD link and bearing kit. The BETD link isn't so good. The leverage ratio on the frame isn't great to begin with, and the link makes it worse. My '04 with a Vanilla R coil was very nice, but the SX Trail takes the cake.

Skip that bike, and get a deal on a newer Enduro.
    How could the BETD link make it worse? The original link was not great and in stock form the Vanilla R (don't even mention the Rock Shox) is not good.

But the BETD link transforms the bike and makes it ridable.

Regardless, setting up that bike to make it enjoyable would cost as much as buying a bike, so it makes no sense to buy it to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [N00b Extreme Mode -ON]

Okay, so I'm trying to get into MB'ing and I have an opportunity to buy the Enduro. However, the owner doesn't know what year it is and so I don't know what a fair price would be to offer. The bike seems to be in decent shape but needs a tuneup badly. 1) How can I tell what year the frame is? 2) How do you determine fair market value for this bike? Any help appreciated.

Amazin

I have changed my tune, if you have little money to spend and if the bike is free or less than $100-$150. If those points are true, buy this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BETD-Specialized...QQcmdZViewItem

Ride the crap out of the shock and wait for it to blow. It will. Then, look for a Risse or Stratos shock (6.5 X 1.5-1.75) on ebay and use that. Up front, look for a cheap zoke to take abuse.

Sure technology has changed, but the principle of the Horst link design is still being used.

It still will be a bit flexy and lack disc brakes, but it is a bike that can take some abuse that you could have for less than $500.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hmmm....i have the same bike and have been contemplating upgrading or buying an ibex astra comp or race. just the other day, i brought my bike in to the specialized dealer to have a spoke replaced and asked about upgrading the rear shock to an air shock. he basically told me the rock shock was a good shock and it really didn't need the upgrade. i asked about "bob" and he said the design of the FSR was very efficient. so i was satisfied for 5 days. then, i started reading about risse shocks and the reviews. now i want to upgrade the shock, but consensus here is "don't waste your money". when i first bought the bike, i upgraded the bushings to bearings, so the linkage is very smooth. as far as the front shock, besides lockout, what will a higher end shock do for me? brakes..i test rode a trek EX7 with disk brakes (if you could call riding around the parking lot off and on the curb a test ride). i really didn't see any difference with braking power.

i guess my question is am i really gaining that much more by buying a new bike and not upgrading my shock to a risse genesis or astro 5?

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22
    i asked about "bob" and he said the design of the FSR was very efficient.
    I won't comment on whether an upgrade is worth the cost or not, but I will say that the FSR suspension bobs quite a lot without some amount of platform or low speed compression damping. I've got three bikes with suspensions under the FSR patent and I really don't like them unless I'm running some degree of anti-bob. Some people don't care.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22

i guess my question is am i really gaining that much more by buying a new bike and not upgrading my shock to a risse genesis or astro 5?

disc brakes need to be bedded in before you'll feel anything diffrent, not to mention theres really only a dif on the trail.

and yes your really gaining "that much more" by upgrading to something new as opposed to something from 99.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    I won't comment on whether an upgrade is worth the cost or not, but I will say that the FSR suspension bobs quite a lot without some amount of platform or low speed compression damping. I've got three bikes with suspensions under the FSR patent and I really don't like them unless I'm running some degree of anti-bob. Some people don't care.
    I totally disagree with this statement. A properly designed Horst-liked bike will not need a platform shock.

As for the stock Rock Shox Deluxe, it is terrible. No question. The problem is that the linkage on that bike is also not that good (way too progressive).

I went from this:

To this:

The ride quality is similar but different at the same time. While my old bike rode down the trail, the new bike flows like water down the trail.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I totally disagree with this statement. A properly designed Horst-liked bike will not need a platform shock.
    I didn't say it needed a platform shock, but in my experience they certainly will bob without one. My bikes that I've tried to run with no low speed compression damping or platform are a Turner 5-Spot and 6-Pack. Both are FSR type suspension and furthermore they're covered under the Ellsworth ICT patent. ICT is supposed to neutralize chain torque effects because the chainline more or less tracks the instant center. Depending on the gearing you will get a bit of anti-squat or pro-squat though.

Mine will bob like a mofo though probably more to do with body weight movement than chain torque. Either way it'll really resonate because unlike a VPP for example there's no mechanism to stop it.

Like I said though, some people aren't bothered by it. I've got a friend with a 5-Spot and Romic shock. Just watching the crazy way his bike bobs during climbs causes me to keep telling him to add in some compression. He'll do it then the next time I see him it bobbing like crazy again. He just doesn't like the way the bike feels when it's not bobbing. To each their own!