mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Specialized Enduro

I've always ridden a hard tail and it never really dawned on me that full suspension could make such a huge difference in the way trails can be attacked until I visited Highland. That being said I'm looking for a bit of a do everything type of ride and a 2003 Specialized Enduro Pro is for sale for a fairly cheap price. Will this bike still be manageable on light cross country trails? And could it handle a trip or two to highland a year if large jumps and drops are avoided? I understand that neither of these are really what it is made for but a new bike is a huge investment for me and I would like one tool for the various jobs I have. Also, does this frame have a reputation for cracking? As I believe it is out of warranty unfortunately. All of the reviews I read for it on here seemed good which is why it is holding my interest so well. Thank you for any feedback, I really value the opinion of the members here.

mtbr member
    get a trail bike, like the Stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Blur or Giant Trance
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    2003? Is that a typo or are you really considering a 10 yr old bike?

I suggest that this time of year (although it might be a little late), you could get a killer deal on a 2013 bike of your choice (like a Stumpjumper FSR).
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

OSM
    mtbr member
    It took me nearly three years of hunting for what I thought was the right bike at the right price, for me to finally get a full suspension bike. I was committed to hardcore hardtail riding for years and when my chance to get a full suspension was there I jumped on it. I have re-invented my self as a rider as well as my approach to trails and have never looked back.

I think you can find something newer than a 2003. An Enduro should be appropriate and with each year they get better.
    Suspension costs money and it's just more parts to replace. Something 10 years old may not last long after a trip the the bike park.
    Also, IMO it would be very self reassuring to have confidence in the disc brakes on the bike when you go hunting for trouble now that you have shox.
    The weight of the bike really depends on the build kit which determines what kind of riding the bike will be capable of.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I really appreciate the responses, and yeah the one I was looking at was 10 years old. My dream bike is a Trance but I really just don't have the money for one being a college student. This bike looks as if it was purchased and then put away and even has all the paperwork to go with it. I understand its old and Technician is making me think it probably isn't the best choice. But it is also around a quarter of the price of a similarly speced Trance. OSM thanks for the input because that is the exact same boat I'm in, I have been searching endlessly for something I thought was worth shelling out that much money for.

mtbr member
    If it has indeed been largely unused since new, it might be an "ok" choice, but still, 10 years is a long time. To give you an idea of sale/blow-out prices, I got my new Stumpy way back in July for $2100 (it was reg $3000), so you might find an even better deal now.

But yes, we all have our own budgets; I would have liked to get the S-Works Stumpy, but waaaay too much cake.

mtbr member
    whats your max budget anyway
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks Technician, the stumpys are sweet rigs but that blowout price is still 3 times the asking price on the enduro. Trust me I am in no way trying to say that this enduro will be as good as a new bike, I totally understand that. But 700 dollars goes down a lot easier than 2100, especially since it is my first full squish rig. Ideally I would like to be south of 1k.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Check pinkbike classifieds. I'm quite sure you can find a much better bike for $1000 used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins617 View Post
    700 dollars goes down a lot easier than 2100, especially since it is my first full squish rig.
    Yup. It may not be an issue, but I have to wonder about the condition of the seals etc in the fork & shock after 10 years. shrug

mtbr member
    I would say keep looking around, if your budget is 700 look at some bikes in 900 range and throw some low balls, I just looked around CL for five minutes and saw some 2009 epics and a nice Jamis in your range. SF bay area. I payed 650 for an 03 stumpjumper probably 5 years ago.

I don't get why when some one says their budget is 700 people tell them To spend 1k or more. His budget is 700.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Could seal kits still be found? It has a Talas RLC fork and a Float RL out back. Sorry I don't mean to keep piling on the questions but it is nice getting an unbiased opinion before making a decision

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I don't get why when some one says their budget is 700 people tell them To spend 1k or more. His budget is 700.
    He did not say his budget was $700, he said " Ideally I would like to be south of 1k".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    He did not say his budget was $700, he said " Ideally I would like to be south of 1k".
    Well, south of 1000 is not 1000, and he was looking at a 2003 so it is pretty apparent to me that he was on a tight budget.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    For your budget you should be able to find a newer enduro sl, or even a pitch which was pretty much the same bike without the e150, just have to watch craigslist like a hawk.
    Specialized - Pitch - Pinkbike