Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Which Specialized Enduro?

I have a decision to make between two Specialized Enduro's. Which is better? They have similar upgrades. I am riding AM, single track, and XC.

1) 2002 Enduro Pro- Specialized Enduro Pro - Pinkbike

2) 2005 Enduro ?- 2005 Specialized Enduro - Pinkbike

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    neither, both are far too expensive for the technology equipped.

If you looking for a 160mm full suspension bike under $1000, look for a Giant Reign or Iron Horse 6point.

Both will pedal much much better than those older Enduros.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    def not the 2002, but i think the '05 looks not terrible.

I would definitely try to talk him down to like $300-400 though because you're probably going to need some $$$ services to get the bike in good working condition...mainly suspension service and a simple brake bleed

those are old bikes. if they have sat un-ridden for a while (as opposed to ridden and maintained from time to time) they will probably need some work and/or new parts

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well the '05 has a FOX RP23 that he put on it this week. He is also fitting a new wheel. A Shimano Deore Hub laced to a WTB All MTN Speeddisc rim. Does that justify his price point at all? He said he wont come down from $700.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    And ALL the other full suspension enduro bikes I have been looking at in the $700 range have been 02's-07's. Maybe its just a bad time to buy? I cant find anything newer for the price with the good upgrades.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    If you can't spend more than $700, look into the longest travel 29er you can find. A newer 120mm 29er will ride better than an older full suspension, with a few exceptions.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    yeah Ive had a few people tell me the same thing. Also, I am complete newbie to MTB. So maybe the 29er is the way to go...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What's up with the shock in the 2nd pic of the 2005? The length of the shaft is too short, you should be seeing much more than that. Either it's blown (likely) or not enough air is in it.

The 2002 states it comes with Duke forks yet the pics all show a Psylo?

Both are overpriced IMHO and they both have some suspect disparities that I would question. I'd keep looking if I were you. There's tons more deals out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy4444 View Post
    Also, I am complete newbie to MTB.
    tell us what region you live (since different parts of the country are different enough to warrant consideration of different equipment) in and generally what kind of riding you have in mind. ie: will you keep it pretty tame or try to go fast and jump (eventually)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    He replaced that bad shock with a brand new FOX RP23. He just sent me a vid of it and it looks good. (has a lot longer shaft displayed)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    tell us what region you live (since different parts of the country are different enough to warrant consideration of different equipment) in and generally what kind of riding you have in mind. ie: will you keep it pretty tame or try to go fast and jump (eventually)
    I live in the NorthEast (Charlottesville area of Virginia). I will be starting out pretty tame, but am wanting to quickly progress into some spirited riding on single tracks, AM, and POSSIBLY some DH. I typically am an all or nothing

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Which Specialized Enduro?

If you had a little more money Id sell you my bike. Ride a 29er though and see if it fits and you like how it turns/corners before you just randomly buy one online. Their not for everyone. I'm 6'1 and I didn't like them, although I haven't tried the 2013/2014 bikes (better geo).

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Im headed to my LBS today to ride a few and see how I like them. I keep hearing conflicting opinions on the FS vs HT. Some say FS all the way some say HT. I have a ton of rocks and roots where I live and thats what biased me to the FS so its easier on my knees. I dont really plan on a TON oh climbs either so that also pointed me towards a FS.....but then there is the price limit Im at and what type of bike I can get for that price. Id much rather get a nicer 29er HT than an old FS. Unfortunately solid 29ers have been most difficult to find and Im scard they wont be as agile as a FS 26er

mtbr member
    I don't think 2005 is too old if it's working good. That being said I don't think either of these bikes are right for you. I do think it's priced a little bit high especially if you have to pay shipping on top of the "firm" asking price.

I 100% disagree that you should buy a new $700 29er instead. You'll be getting a horrible fork (likely suntour or Rockshox XC) and no where near xt components. Basically all bottom of the barrel parts. Maybe people on here can find you something local? When you have a limited budget paying $100+ in shipping doesn't make sense IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I wish I could find something more local but just couldnt. Ive searched through Search Tempest, Craigslist, PinkBike, all the other forums, etc. Nothing that REALLY stood out. I live in 22980

mtbr member
    If they'd come down on the price this looks nice, size large and looks lightly used. You're right though, slim picking on CL...I feel you though. I'm in PA and not much of quality comes up on craigslist often and it's usually priced crazy if it does.

Cannondale prophet 6

If you do want to go 29" hard tail here's one that's as good as any $700 bike shop bike.

DIAMONDBACK overedriveexpert

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I checked that one out. No response from the seller yet. Has been a few days sent I tried to contact them too. Im guessing it sold.

mtbr member
    I live in the NorthEast (Charlottesville area of Virginia). I will be starting out pretty tame, but am wanting to quickly progress into some spirited riding on single tracks, AM, and POSSIBLY some DH. I typically am an all or nothing
    ok, i got bikes on the brain waiting to leave for an mtb trip, so heres some thoughts:

nothing wrong with enduros but also no reason to confine your search. another rule of thumb is to shoot for the most current model year you can afford since tech and design has come so far

im on east coast too. in general the east coast is more technical but with more mellow climbs. So depending on how tall you are, some bikes may ride a lot better in medium since you will be able to maneuver it a little easier. I'm 5'10" and meds are pefect for me for this type of riding

this was my first bike. mine was stock but this guy has made some nice additions IronHorse MKiii Team (Large) - Pinkbike i did end up breaking it but its such a fun and great riding bike i had no regrets. This one looks awesome for the $...a little above your budget with shipping but i think would be well worth it. Now this fork is old, but it is rumored to be an awsome fork, so at your price point this is probably as good a fork as youll get. As you start out, only one gear up front will feel hard, but since the EC climbs arent as bad as west coast this is generally preferred for AM here...and there is a nice chainguide which is a bonus. if you are 5'10" or taller this will fit great

2008 Trek Fuel Ex 7 17.5 - Pinkbike this looks like a legit condition '08 treck...also good updates and looks like great cond

2008 giant trance x2 medium - Pinkbike details are too sparse to really know on this one, but i still would bet it is much better overall than the enduros.

also there are always tons of used santa cruz hecklers so you can sometimes see great deals on them

mtbr member
    ok, i got bikes on the brain waiting to leave for an mtb trip, so heres some thoughts:

nothing wrong with enduros but also no reason to confine your search. another rule of thumb is to shoot for the most current model year you can afford since tech and design has come so far

im on east coast too. in general the east coast is more technical but with more mellow climbs. So depending on how tall you are, some bikes may ride a lot better in medium since you will be able to maneuver it a little easier. I'm 5'10" and meds are pefect for me for this type of riding

this was my first bike. mine was stock but this guy has made some nice additions IronHorse MKiii Team (Large) - Pinkbike i did end up breaking it but its such a fun and great riding bike i had no regrets. This one looks awesome for the $...a little above your budget with shipping but i think would be well worth it. Now this fork is old, but it is rumored to be an awsome fork, so at your price point this is probably as good a fork as youll get. As you start out, only one gear up front will feel hard, but since the EC climbs arent as bad as west coast this is generally preferred for AM here...and there is a nice chainguide which is a bonus. if you are 5'10" or taller this will fit great

2008 Trek Fuel Ex 7 17.5 - Pinkbike this looks like a legit condition '08 treck...also good updates and looks like great cond

2008 giant trance x2 medium - Pinkbike details are too sparse to really know on this one, but i still would bet it is much better overall than the enduros.

also there are always tons of used santa cruz hecklers so you can sometimes see great deals on them
    The specs on the trek look nice and it's in VA, not sure how far from the OP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Awesome post. Im 6' tall on the dot. I tried contacting that Trek in Fairfax with no luck. I do have pretty long legs and a short torso though, so Im not sure if the Med would fit me or not. I am hitting up my LBS here soon so hopefully they will give me more insight! Keep the good info coming though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    The specs on the trek look nice and it's in VA, not sure how far from the OP.
    OK so im def biased on that mkIII iron horse...its making me recall lots of fond memories

But look at the picture of the underside of downtube...that thing IS PRACTICALLY BRAND NEW!! after a couple hard rides a downtube will pick up lots of little signs of wear in that spot...thing looks like a great ride for 800 plus shipping

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok, so this guy just contacted me!! 2008 Trek Fuel Ex 7 17.5 - Pinkbike

Said its still available and could come get it whenever. Seems like a good deal, yes? Seems to be most everyone favorite and for $25 over the one I was going to have shipped to me seems like a steal. ???

My ONLY real concern is the size. Im 6' tall with long legs. would a 17.5 frame be a problem?

mtbr member
    Ok, so this guy just contacted me!! 2008 Trek Fuel Ex 7 17.5 - Pinkbike

Said its still available and could come get it whenever. Seems like a good deal, yes? Seems to be most everyone favorite and for $25 over the one I was going to have shipped to me seems like a steal. ???

My ONLY real concern is the size. Im 6' tall with long legs. would a 17.5 frame be a problem?
    just had to do a double take at the components on that treck...man that thing is waaaay nice for $800...fork alone retails for more. and they are very recent model year

the 17.5 is actually the large, im pretty sure, so you should be good. print out the picture and make sure it all looks the same in person, lol...almost looks too good to be true but the guy probably just wanted to get rid of it quickly and without hassle

its a more bias toward distance rides than hucking but if it all checks out in person you practically cant afford not to get it, ha

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    just had to do a double take at the components on that treck...man that thing is waaaay nice for $800...fork alone retails for more. and they are very recent model year

the 17.5 is actually the large, im pretty sure, so you should be good. print out the picture and make sure it all looks the same in person, lol...almost looks too good to be true but the guy probably just wanted to get rid of it quickly and without hassle

its a more bias toward distance rides than hucking but if it all checks out in person you practically cant afford not to get it, ha
    Yeah that bike is VERY clean and he is willing to meet me halfway. Will def be printing those pics and specs out.

So for mainly single track, AM, and downhill a 17.5 will be fine? I doubt I will be doing long long rides. Seems as though if I am in an attack position for most of the time anyways frame size is irrelevant. lol

mtbr member
    Seems as though if I am in an attack position for most of the time anyways frame size is irrelevant. lol
    Not true at all, but my point was that i think it is the right size for you in general, a large.

the bike is suited more towards long rides and not bombing hairy DH lines, no getting around that. but i still think you cant go wrong for this nice of a first bike for this little $

another good feature that gives you flexibility down the road is that the fork is set at 130mm travel just to match the bikes overall handling; however, i am pretty sure you can increase the fork travel up to 150mm just by removing an internal spacer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast