mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Specialized Enduro 29er? Why? Isnít this misplaced for a 29er?

finding it harder and harder to see new 26ers, and dealers are almost never carrying them in stock now ... instead they're overloaded with 29ers of all brands and types. and now there's a Spec Enduro 29er! isn't this getting out of hand? who are buying all these 29ers besides "mostly" xc-minded riders? others have asked 'is the 26er dead?' but even if it isn't it sure is getting REALLY hard to access new 26ers. have ridden 29ers (Epics, Stumpy FSRs, various hardtails, etc.) and don't see the appeal, at least nowhere near enough to justify displacing 26ers to the degree that has happened within the dealer network and manufacturers' product lineups.

rant ended.

specific question -- isn't the Spec Enduro 29er misplaced for All mountain? can it really work ... without paying a separate fortune to upgrade the wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the 29er Enduro will be pretty damn popular. I think a lot of 29er doubters need to ride one for a day. 29ers used to be for XC minded riders but technology is getting to the point where slack, longer travel, fun to ride 29ers are becoming the more common. I used to have no interest in a 29er then I demoed one and was blown away about how much better it is for trail riding. Like it or not 29ers are becoming very common and many of the negatives about them are being addressed with newer bikes. I own a 26 inch and 29 inch bike. I love them both for their intended purposes.

I don't think 26 inch wheels will ever go away but 29ers are appealing to more types of riders every year. If anything, it gives more options to more riders which is good for all bikers. 15 years ago there was really one wheel size and a handful of different types of bikes. Today, there are so many different types of bikes and wheel sizes. I think its good for the bike industry and for riders.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

beater

Specialized Enduro 29er? Why? Isn’t this misplaced for a 29er?

Seriously? While I can't speak for your local shops, 26" wheels are hardly difficult to find, especially in the trail/AM segment. Banshee, Knolly, Ibis, Yeti, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Intense, Turner, Canfield, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, etc. all still make bikes with 26" wheels.

As far as the Enduro, I read that Curtis Keene had his choice for this season, and he's racing the 29" instead of the 26". 2013 will be an interesting test of the platform for Enduro events.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

dwt
    mtbr member

Specialized Enduro 29er? Why? Isnít this misplaced for a 29er?

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post

As far as the Enduro, I read that Curtis Keene had his choice for this season, and he's racing the 29" instead of the 26". 2013 will be an interesting test of the platform for Enduro events.
    It will for sure. Plus the fact that the KHS boys, Binggeli and Aiello, have started out fast on 650b DH bikes early season shows that there will be three wheel platforms duking it out in two types of race events 2013: XC & Enduro.

Only 2 wheel sizes for DH; 29 unlikely ever to fit DH bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dwt; 03-22-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Seriously? While I can't speak for your local shops, 26" wheels are hardly difficult to find, especially in the trail/AM segment. Banshee, Knolly, Ibis, Yeti, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Intense, Turner, Canfield, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, etc. all still make bikes with 26" wheels.

Agreed--still seeing a lot of 26" bikes, especailly in shops that do not carry Specialized. Specialized shops seem to carry more 29ers than anything else. And you're right: lots of 26 and 650B in the Trail/AM size.

Talked to him at Demo last weekend, and was showing off his Stumpy 29er with SRAM XX1. He said he's digging his 29er, but I don't think it matters what he rides or what size wheels he rides, he can rock it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm sure Curtis will rock whatever he rides as well. I wouldn't be certain he completely had his choice though. All sponsored riders are first and foremost advertisement for the company they ride for. Quite often they are tasked to promote whatever the company wants to push at a given time. I make no judgments about the bike or rider, just I believe the big S wants to push their new product.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Agreed--still seeing a lot of 26" bikes, especailly in shops that do not carry Specialized. Specialized shops seem to carry more 29ers than anything else. And you're right: lots of 26 and 650B in the Trail/AM size.
    I work for a Specialized dealer and we have a few more 26" bikes in inventory than 29ers, even though we sell a good amount of both. We still get the demand for 26" bikes, especially in the lower price points, so we keep them in stock.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    I was just at a local Specialized bike dealer last month helping my brother in law pick out his new bike. The only 26" bike they had on hand was a Enduro. Everything else they had were 29ers. Sad cause he would've bought s 26" Stumpy if they had one in stock. I must say though, 29er's must be selling like hot cakes for 26ers to not be on the floor room. I remember going their just last year and the majority of bikes were 26ers.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    I was just at a local Specialized bike dealer last month helping my brother in law pick out his new bike. The only 26" bike they had on hand was a Enduro. Everything else they had were 29ers. Sad cause he would've bought s 26" Stumpy if they had one in stock. I must say though, 29er's must be selling like hot cakes for 26ers to not be on the floor room. I remember going their just last year and the majority of bikes were 26ers.
    I'm really surprised to see that. A lot of specialized inventory, except for their tires, seems to be mostly focused on 29ers.

Where are you? Maybe the 29er demand is more common where I am (Bay Area).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Some of the Intense teams will be running 27.5 M9's this season like the KHS team. It will be interesting to see who else jumps on the bandwagon.

As for me, I demo'd a Tracer Comp 29'r for several days a few weeks ago. Rode it on my local trails and it was not any faster than my Mojo HD per Strava. I do ride rocky fast trails and did notice some of the rollover that people talk about, but it was not life changing. I did not notice it to be any slower handling than the HD even in super tight switchbacks.

My own personal opinion is that speed increase people see when switching over to 29 is the larger gearing. It is similar to switching from 2x to 1x in that your climbing gets faster by necessity since the gearing is taller. My gut is that if you correct for gear inches there will be virtually no difference or the 29 will be slightly slower based on the higher wheel weight. It is similar to the article on MTBR a few weeks ago. That is what I really noticed while climbing on the Tracer, the weight of the wheels. I run Haven Carbon's tubeless on my HD and there was at least a 2 lb weight difference just in the wheels.

mtbr member
    No. 29ers have a place in enduro.

Are you a hater???

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Specialized Enduro 29er? Why? Isnít this misplaced for a 29er?

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Some of the Intense teams will be running 27.5 M9's this season like the KHS team. It will be interesting to see who else jumps on the bandwagon.

As for me, I demo'd a Tracer Comp 29'r for several days a few weeks ago. Rode it on my local trails and it was not any faster than my Mojo HD per Strava. I do ride rocky fast trails and did notice some of the rollover that people talk about, but it was not life changing. I did not notice it to be any slower handling than the HD even in super tight switchbacks.

My own personal opinion is that speed increase people see when switching over to 29 is the larger gearing. It is similar to switching from 2x to 1x in that your climbing gets faster by necessity since the gearing is taller. My gut is that if you correct for gear inches there will be virtually no difference or the 29 will be slightly slower based on the higher wheel weight. It is similar to the article on MTBR a few weeks ago. That is what I really noticed while climbing on the Tracer, the weight of the wheels. I run Haven Carbon's tubeless on my HD and there was at least a 2 lb weight difference just in the wheels.
    Bit of an unfair comparison. Carbon wheels make a big difference regardless of wheel size. If your frame of reference is a26er with carbon wheels, you owe it to yourself to try a 29er with carbon wheels.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Stand back
    The local Spec dealer here doesn't bother to stock any longer travel 26'ers anymore.

And the 29'er wheels (and tires) are going to weigh more, no matter what they're made out of.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Specialized Enduro 29er? Why? Isnít this misplaced for a 29er?

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    The local Spec dealer here doesn't bother to stock any longer travel 26'ers anymore.

And the 29'er wheels (and tires) are going to weigh more, no matter what they're made out of.
    29er wheels will always weigh more yes, but at least analyze the differences using same wheel material.

I have 26ers and 29ers both with aluminum and carbon wheels in my house. Carbon makes a big difference regardless of wheel size.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

usually cranky
    blah blah blah, arnt we done with this yet? aggressive 29ers are here to stay.

btw, your lbs stocks what is in demand, obviously a lot of people want 29ers in your area.

mtbr member
    It looks like bike manufacturers now want their customers to decide between 29 or 27.5 for AM use. Both of them in same arena, similar setup, suspension travel, close angles, etc.
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I'm really surprised to see that. A lot of specialized inventory, except for their tires, seems to be mostly focused on 29ers.

Where are you? Maybe the 29er demand is more common where I am (Bay Area).
    Stripes I'm just up north from you in Chico. Sports LTD is the only Specialized dealer in town that i know off. All they have now is mostly 29ers. Times have sure changed.

mtbr member
    I'd say that you should try demoing a 29 enduro when one comes to your area and make up your own mind... The way that bike has been designed makes it shorter than some companies 26 inch bikes and just about every manufacturers 27.5. To have a short flickable bike with more monster truck capability might be fun.

PS- have been riding on 26 for over twent years and I can honestly say that I too am hesitant of this wheel size. But after riding a carbon Stumpy evo 29 a couple weeks ago I was pretty darn stoked.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!