Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    The Green Machine
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    149

    Specialized Command Post Straightened Out Yet?

    Reading over some of the threads on adjustable seat posts, it seems the first batch of Specialized Command posts had some issues. Has Specialized done anything to the design to corect these issues?

    I've wanted to get one for a long time and I'm leaning towards either the Joplin or Command, but the reviews are so mixed with many people complaning of problems on both. What to do?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dvanderb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    56
    I was told by my LBS that the first batch had some issues, but that they were taken care of. Haven't seen anything to corroborate this though. I am in the same situation and am very tempted to just grab a command post given that my LBS will deal with it if I have any issues(they are a specialized dealer). The guy I talked to there said they really like em.

    I'd like to hear something that would re-assure me about a purchase though from elsewhere.

  3. #3
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    i'm sure they'll get it sorted out. and by 'they', i mean whatever company originally produced the post before specialized 'perfected' it.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scooter916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,269
    Spesh has fixed the problems with the command post. the initial problem was the bushing on the shaft, they are shipping out retrofit bushings that won't allow any air loss. I just attended Spesh's technical masters class in Morgan Hill and we went over the command posts and rebuilt them first hand to fix the common problems. I really want to like the Crank bros since I love that company but the spec has so many better features, I just wish Spesh would offer an under the seat lever like the Joplin
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

  5. #5
    The Green Machine
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    149
    What are all the better features?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scooter916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by littleblue
    What are all the better features?
    1)
    Spec- it has two keyways to eliminate side to side play, and they have replaceable brass keys that are designed to wear rather than the grooves machined inside the post
    CB-only one keyway that I am aware of, most posts develop play quickly

    2)
    Spec-is a an air assist with a cable actuated collet so it will stay in any of the three positions if it develops a malfunction of any sort. meaning you will be able to ride out with any position if it fails on the trail
    CB- hydraulic so once it leaks a little bit it wont hold a position and will continually drop until it is fully compressed, meaning you will have to ride out on a low post

    3)
    Spec- User serviceable, very simple well thought out internals.
    CB- User serviceable, but requires a bleed kit and many tools

    4)
    Spec-adjustable return speed
    CB- factory set return speed (please correct me if I am wrong on this one)

    5)
    Spec-air is lighter than oil
    CB-Oil slug adds unnecessary weight


    However I do like CB's under the saddle lever, I ride SS and hate cable clutter on bars, (remote lock-outs, wired computers, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hitek79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    I like my bars to look like a dashboard on a Mercedes. Knobs, buttons, and gizmos galore!

    Awesome info on the seat post though. I was leaning towards the CB, but now you have me sold on the Spec.

  8. #8
    Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Reputation: ibbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    424
    I was thinking about the command...until i found out its 250/$353 here That's 60/$85 more than the Joplin I'd personally prefer the lever under the saddle anyway and can get a Cobra 900i 100/$141 cheaper than the spesh

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,448
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    1)
    Spec- it has two keyways to eliminate side to side play, and they have replaceable brass keys that are designed to wear rather than the grooves machined inside the post
    CB-only one keyway that I am aware of, most posts develop play quickly

    2)
    Spec-is a an air assist with a cable actuated collet so it will stay in any of the three positions if it develops a malfunction of any sort. meaning you will be able to ride out with any position if it fails on the trail
    CB- hydraulic so once it leaks a little bit it wont hold a position and will continually drop until it is fully compressed, meaning you will have to ride out on a low post

    3)
    Spec- User serviceable, very simple well thought out internals.
    CB- User serviceable, but requires a bleed kit and many tools

    4)
    Spec-adjustable return speed
    CB- factory set return speed (please correct me if I am wrong on this one)

    5)
    Spec-air is lighter than oil
    CB-Oil slug adds unnecessary weight


    However I do like CB's under the saddle lever, I ride SS and hate cable clutter on bars, (remote lock-outs, wired computers, etc)
    Hm. So don't get me wrong, I rode a specialized command post, it was the first adjustable on the fly post I've ever riden, and it absolutely blew my mind, but there were several things about it I didn't like. Here is a list:

    In the wet, the return speed is nill. I actually had to get off the bike several times and yank up on the saddle to get it to the top position.

    It lost pressure somehow and slid down to the middle position (or the medium? I donno, the 70% height position) on extended climbs. It always did it slowly, and I'm not sure how it works, so it may simply have been broken, but most of the time it held pressure ok.

    There was always a slight amount of up down play in it. I didn't notice it in the slammed position, because I don't sit down while I'm descending and have it in the slammed position, and once I sat down it wouldn't move, but shifting in the saddle and initially sitting down it would always shift a little bit.

    The cable is not a standard cable. You can't use a regular shifter cable, or brake cable. If you break/snap the cable or need a new one for some reason, you need an entire new assembly (or at least this is what several specialized reps were saying on a group ride) which costs like 50 or 60 dollars; basically you're screwed. Word is that's going to be fixed and a regular cable will be used in future iterations, but that alone is enough to steer me clear for now

    Things I really liked:

    In the dry, it was pretty snappy, but never catapulted.
    It was very intuitive and easy to set in the different positions
    It wasn't very fussy (until the end of the ride when it was wet and muddy), and easy to set in whatever position you want.
    it didn't flex at all (not that I would expect it to, but it was a worry I had with adjustable seatposts)
    The lever on the bars. I actually loved that aspect about it, its way faster, and it means you can do a pretty intense loopy section that moves from a really gnar G out to an intense climb really easily and fast, without taking your hands off the bars. I liked the on bar lever way more then the idea of reaching under the seat, and normally messy bikes really bother me, but this was not a problem at all, it was great.

    Since I haven't ridden the joplin, I wont compare the two. The command post definitely has room for improvement, but overall I really really liked it!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hitek79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    Ugh, I went to test ride one today based on this thread and now have $300 less in my bank account. The Spec rep happened to be there, and I had a long discussion with him about the differences between theirs and the Joplin, and getting the problems they had solved.

    I haven't taken it out on the trail, but just cruising around the parking lot I thought it was the cat's meow. I literally couldn't leave without it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dvanderb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    56
    I tried to go buy one.. we put my seat on it.. tossed it in.. and it was just a few mm too tall for me. We actually measured my knee angle and it was almost 10 degrees too straight. It sucks because I have the same problem with most of them.

  12. #12
    The Green Machine
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Ugh, I went to test ride one today based on this thread and now have $300 less in my bank account. The Spec rep happened to be there, and I had a long discussion with him about the differences between theirs and the Joplin, and getting the problems they had solved.

    I haven't taken it out on the trail, but just cruising around the parking lot I thought it was the cat's meow. I literally couldn't leave without it.

    I'm trying to keep that from happening. Let us know how it is after a few trail rides. Hopefully it doesn't break.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scooter916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    Hm. So don't get me wrong, I rode a specialized command post, it was the first adjustable on the fly post I've ever riden, and it absolutely blew my mind, but there were several things about it I didn't like. Here is a list:

    In the wet, the return speed is nill. I actually had to get off the bike several times and yank up on the saddle to get it to the top position.

    It lost pressure somehow and slid down to the middle position (or the medium? I donno, the 70% height position) on extended climbs. It always did it slowly, and I'm not sure how it works, so it may simply have been broken, but most of the time it held pressure ok.

    There was always a slight amount of up down play in it. I didn't notice it in the slammed position, because I don't sit down while I'm descending and have it in the slammed position, and once I sat down it wouldn't move, but shifting in the saddle and initially sitting down it would always shift a little bit.

    The cable is not a standard cable. You can't use a regular shifter cable, or brake cable. If you break/snap the cable or need a new one for some reason, you need an entire new assembly (or at least this is what several specialized reps were saying on a group ride) which costs like 50 or 60 dollars; basically you're screwed. Word is that's going to be fixed and a regular cable will be used in future iterations, but that alone is enough to steer me clear for now

    Things I really liked:

    In the dry, it was pretty snappy, but never catapulted.
    It was very intuitive and easy to set in the different positions
    It wasn't very fussy (until the end of the ride when it was wet and muddy), and easy to set in whatever position you want.
    it didn't flex at all (not that I would expect it to, but it was a worry I had with adjustable seatposts)
    The lever on the bars. I actually loved that aspect about it, its way faster, and it means you can do a pretty intense loopy section that moves from a really gnar G out to an intense climb really easily and fast, without taking your hands off the bars. I liked the on bar lever way more then the idea of reaching under the seat, and normally messy bikes really bother me, but this was not a problem at all, it was great.

    Since I haven't ridden the joplin, I wont compare the two. The command post definitely has room for improvement, but overall I really really liked it!

    most of those problems have been resolved and any Spec dealer can get retro kits from the Salt Lake warranty dept.

    The original bushing was/is the culprit for air loss. the newer split bushing hold air much better.

    the up/down play has to do with the internal cable tension(NOT the cable form lever-->seatpost), you need to have your Spec dealer pull it apart and adjust the cable tension on the collet system so when it's in the static mode it allows the collet to expand all the way to fit into the machined groove for the pre determined height settings.

    I am sure the cable head for the remote lever has been fixed, I know the internal cable is a weird size but we were told at the class that you can crush a der cable in a vise to allow it to fit. If I ran into that problem at the remote lever I would find a way to adapt a der cable to work (the dremel is my friend)

    If I end up getting one it would be the Spec post, I really really really want to like the CB but after looking on their site today about rebuilding/bleeding the post for maintenance it makes me want a Spec even more
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

  14. #14
    The Green Machine
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    149
    Is there any easy way to tell if your buying one with new bushings?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dvanderb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by littleblue
    Is there any easy way to tell if your buying one with new bushings?
    Ask at your LBS. Mine said they had new ones, but that Specialized had also sent them a bunch of spares to repair peoples older posts.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,448
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    most of those problems have been resolved and any Spec dealer can get retro kits from the Salt Lake warranty dept.

    The original bushing was/is the culprit for air loss. the newer split bushing hold air much better.

    the up/down play has to do with the internal cable tension(NOT the cable form lever-->seatpost), you need to have your Spec dealer pull it apart and adjust the cable tension on the collet system so when it's in the static mode it allows the collet to expand all the way to fit into the machined groove for the pre determined height settings.

    I am sure the cable head for the remote lever has been fixed, I know the internal cable is a weird size but we were told at the class that you can crush a der cable in a vise to allow it to fit. If I ran into that problem at the remote lever I would find a way to adapt a der cable to work (the dremel is my friend)

    If I end up getting one it would be the Spec post, I really really really want to like the CB but after looking on their site today about rebuilding/bleeding the post for maintenance it makes me want a Spec even more
    Just out of curiosity, when was your speci class? Because its actually the enduro SL used for that class that I used about 3 weeks ago...I can't imagine that they were using "the old version" for the demo class. My guess, is that they've noticed those problems, and are in the process of fixing them, but that the latest iteration isn't actually out in markets yet. If the specialized reps/demobikes/future/conceptstores can't get them, I doubt your end consumer can.

    I'm marking it as "the best of the year" for 2010, but for now, I'm not considering it nor recommending it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by littleblue
    Reading over some of the threads on adjustable seat posts, it seems the first batch of Specialized Command posts had some issues. Has Specialized done anything to the design to corect these issues?

    I've wanted to get one for a long time and I'm leaning towards either the Joplin or Command, but the reviews are so mixed with many people complaning of problems on both. What to do?
    Look into the RASE on google. Looks alot better but about 50 dollars more than the Joplin and the command post.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hitek79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    What looks better about it?

  19. #19
    attending to my vices
    Reputation: moshelove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by dvanderb
    I tried to go buy one.. we put my seat on it.. tossed it in.. and it was just a few mm too tall for me. We actually measured my knee angle and it was almost 10 degrees too straight. It sucks because I have the same problem with most of them.
    what bike were you using? Are You saying that you couldn't lower the post in the extended mode far enough? That's interesting.

    I just ordered the i900-r kind shock. same as the fezzari. I have heard nothing but great things about them from forum posters on here.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

  20. #20
    Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Reputation: ibbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by moshelove
    I just ordered the i900-r kind shock. same as the fezzari. I have heard nothing but great things about them from forum posters on here.
    The trouble with the i900r is the seat-rail clamps are crap if you're a heavier rider(they work loose)and as with ALL these type of posts theres a bit of "slap" in the tube and they need regular servicing if you use them in typical UK conditions.They're not fond of wet/muddy/gritty conditions.
    Having said all that,the pros outweigh the cons.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    What looks better about it?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dvanderb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by moshelove
    what bike were you using? Are You saying that you couldn't lower the post in the extended mode far enough? That's interesting.

    I just ordered the i900-r kind shock. same as the fezzari. I have heard nothing but great things about them from forum posters on here.
    I have a small frame 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. When the post is at full extension(4in) and is as far into my seat tube as possible, it is too tall for me.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hitek79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    Not being a smartass Rakassan, but that just shows how it works. Is it better because it has more adjustment? Or the mechanics of it? I would think that 3-4 inches would be plenty for an AM bike.

  24. #24
    tiggs
    Guest

    Not sure yet

    I bought a Specialized command post yesterday after reading how amazing it is to ride with an adjustable post. So far I'm not that impressed, not $300 impressed anyway. I installed it yesterday and rode it around the neighborhood. This morning it wouldn't raise back to it's max height. I took it back to the shop and, of course, it worked just fine then. I brought it home and now it works again. I'm gonna take it out on a long ride tomorrow to give it it's first test. I really hope I don't regret this decision. If I do, I guess there will be a command post on ebay soon!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •