Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 394
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    378

    Specialized Command Post Blacklite

    Looks like Specialized has come out with a new and improved Command post: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/04/19/...d-your-saddle/.

    The new lever looks sweet, but too bad they kept the one-bolt head.

  2. #2
    T.W.O
    Reputation: pfox90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,729
    They need to make a 27.2 diameter one.

  3. #3
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,432
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds
    Looks like Specialized has come out with a new and improved Command post: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/04/19/...d-your-saddle/.

    The new lever looks sweet, but too bad they kept the one-bolt head.
    Can't wait see the battle that ensues over the remote lever. I wonder if it's only compatible with Specialized's grips.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Can't wait see the battle that ensues over the remote lever. I wonder if it's only compatible with Specialized's grips.
    It looks like you can get the remote in two flavors: one that comes with grips, in which case the remote lever doubles as the grip retention clamp, or without grips, in which case the remote lever just mounts to empty space on the handlebar like anything else.

    In looking at the picture of the dual purpose remote lever/grip clamp, I don't see why that couldn't be made to work with some other brand of grips. However, Big S is the master of making things proprietary just for the sake of being non-compatible with everything else -- for example their oddball headset size and proprietary remote cable on the old Command Post -- so that remains to be seen. But they deserve props for offering two versions.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardboiled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    466
    more info up on the Specialized website. Here's some tech/marketing spew. They say it's 100g less than the old Command Post, but you sure wouldn't know it by looking at the claimed weights on their own website (which appear to be about the same)...

    edit tried to make the pic bigger but that's the best I could do... go to the spec website if you want to read it, I guess.

    Last edited by hardboiled; 04-26-2011 at 03:10 PM.

  6. #6
    The Unaffiliated
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    810
    I love the Command Post that came with my Enduro. Nice to know that if it craps out there is an updated version.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    75
    Does anybody know when these (Blacklite) will be sold in stores?
    I called a specialized dealer and the guy had no idea

  8. #8
    T.W.O
    Reputation: pfox90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Redley78
    Does anybody know when these (Blacklite) will be sold in stores?
    I called a specialized dealer and the guy had no idea
    Sounds promising lol
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

  9. #9
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,819
    I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.
    Meh.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    Sounds promising lol
    Not really, It just means that most customer service reps dont know crap. I thought someone in this forum might have some insight.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardboiled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    466
    looks like they are available through the Specialized website right now.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SFBMRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    223
    All sized except the 30.9/75mm are in stock.

    Looks like a pretty sweet post. I JUST bought the older model but am now selling it because I need a zero offset post. Too bad they don't make an zero offset version.

  13. #13
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    i keep waiting to buy the perfect post and a new one keeps coming out every couple of months. when i can haz my adj. post?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49
    Got mine yesterday and the shop I go to has some in stock. Seatpost is super nice!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mojo28246's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    172
    I don't know about new and improved it looks like a KS copy with the remote, cable housing and quick release cable system. I thought I saw a pic on a scale months ago a ks post with cable and remote that weight 520g. I was hoping that the new command post would be hydraulic and offer in 27.2.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    75
    Here is an article about the blacklite from singletrack.com
    http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...lacklite_15677

  17. #17
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,928
    eh. i like the two drop feature and the remote but the rest is so so. the reverb is like 510 grams and ks has a post coming out that is like 450 grams. plus the clamping system still looks bad.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    75
    After researching and trying this post on my bike at the store i must say, its not for everybody. There is just too little adjustability in these with all travel versions.
    I can only have 7.5 inches of post in my frame, this leaves 3-4 inches out of the frame at its lowest travel setting. This creates downhill situations where i want my post dropped, but max drop from seatclamp is 4 inches. Climbing seat height would also be too high with the 4 and 5 inch versions.
    Once again, not for everyone, and i am a very average person 5'10" 165 lbs.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    547
    Ok I just got the 100mm travel blacklite post from specialized. I was going kind of crazy trying to decide between the 75mm and 100mm post because I wasn't sure if the 100mm would fit me and my bike.
    So, for those of you that might be looking for the information, you will need to have at least 6.5 inches of seatpost exposed on your current seatpost in order to use the 100mm version. This is assuming that you can fit the whole bottom part of the post into your seat tube.
    In other words, the bottom section of the command post is roughly 8.5 inches from the bottom of the post up to where the post flares out. Then above that, there is roughly 6.5 inches up to the middle of the seat rail(when the post is fully extended).

    So in the example above by Redley78, since he can only fit 7.5 inches of seatpost in his frame, he would need to have 7.5 inches of post exposed(when the post is fully extended).

  20. #20
    monster member
    Reputation: Wheelspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1
    Ok I just got the 100mm travel blacklite post from specialized. I was going kind of crazy trying to decide between the 75mm and 100mm post because I wasn't sure if the 100mm would fit me and my bike.
    So, for those of you that might be looking for the information, you will need to have at least 6.5 inches of seatpost exposed on your current seatpost in order to use the 100mm version. This is assuming that you can fit the whole bottom part of the post into your seat tube.
    In other words, the bottom section of the command post is roughly 8.5 inches from the bottom of the post up to where the post flares out. Then above that, there is roughly 6.5 inches up to the middle of the seat rail(when the post is fully extended).

    So in the example above by Redley78, since he can only fit 7.5 inches of seatpost in his frame, he would need to have 7.5 inches of post exposed(when the post is fully extended).
    Thanks, that's some good info on the 100mm post. Can you also tell us how many inches from the bottom to the minimum insertion line? (I have a lot of seat post exposed, don't care about maximum drop, so would like to get the 100mm version instead of the heavier 125mm version if I can raise it enough.)
    Have fun!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed
    Thanks, that's some good info on the 100mm post. Can you also tell us how many inches from the bottom to the minimum insertion line? (I have a lot of seat post exposed, don't care about maximum drop, so would like to get the 100mm version instead of the heavier 125mm version if I can raise it enough.)
    I weighed the post with all the hardware that came with it and it weighed 540 grams on my scale.

    Minimum insertion is 100mm, just slightly less than 4 inches. At minimum insertion, there is 280mm(about 11 inches) exposed from top of seat tube to middle of seat rail.

    So basically, assuming your frame's seat tube is long enough to fit the whole seat post, if your current seat post has between 6.5 inches to 11 inches exposed, then the 100mm post will work for you.

  22. #22
    Delirious Tuck
    Reputation: thefriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,273
    If you check the comments looks like the old command post was weighed without cables and remote and new 100g less blacklite was measured with them.

    I have one on order, should be in today I hope... I've heard mixed reviews and I'm a GD fan boy for years without issue so I'm a bit nervous.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    547
    Right. The new post is about 100 grams lighter than the old one(25 bucks cheaper too!). I just put the weight there to compare to the claimed weight of 531 grams.

    What kind of mixed reviews have you heard? The only complaints I've found were about the cable being proprietary(which has been changed to use regular derailleur cable now) and the first generation ones with the leaky seal(also has been fixed with a better seal).

    I just installed mine last night so only rode around the block but so far it seems to work really good. Once it is locked in position the post does not move at all. No play whatsoever.
    I have only 2 minor quibbles if you can even call it that.
    1) When the post is fully extended, if you grab the bike by the post you'll get grease on your hands.
    2) The trigger is hard to push if your weight is totally on the saddle

    I was deciding between the GD and the blacklite. Picked the blacklite because I needed a setback seatpost. Also the blacklite needs slightly less minimum exposed seatpost than the GD(6.5 inches vs 7.25 inches

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1
    Right. The new post is about 100 grams lighter than the old one(25 bucks cheaper too!). I just put the weight there to compare to the claimed weight of 531 grams.

    What kind of mixed reviews have you heard? The only complaints I've found were about the cable being proprietary(which has been changed to use regular derailleur cable now) and the first generation ones with the leaky seal(also has been fixed with a better seal).

    I just installed mine last night so only rode around the block but so far it seems to work really good. Once it is locked in position the post does not move at all. No play whatsoever.
    I have only 2 minor quibbles if you can even call it that.
    1) When the post is fully extended, if you grab the bike by the post you'll get grease on your hands.
    2) The trigger is hard to push if your weight is totally on the saddle

    I was deciding between the GD and the blacklite. Picked the blacklite because I needed a setback seatpost. Also the blacklite needs slightly less minimum exposed seatpost than the GD(6.5 inches vs 7.25 inches
    i am in the same boat as you, as far as decisions go. However, I am deciding to go with the Turbo GD because the post is shorter below the clamp, 6.75" (350mm GD) vs 8.5" (BL). And in my situation with my frame only accepting 7.5 inches of post, i will be able to run the GD at max height of 7.25 vs 7.5 (BL), and dropped to 3.25" vs 3.50" (BL).

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    75
    Sorry for the double post... Anyone know of any gravity dropper retailers in Socal/OC areas? Id rather see the post in person before purchasing.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •