Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Installed mine last weekend 30.9/125 drop--Im 6' works great, sometimes it sticks between med position and up all the way, pretty easy to play with the cable tension adjuster. Ill let it break in an go for the fine tune. I ride mostly fireroads--works nice on the descent

mtbr member

Good job!

This is a great product... It's working exactly as advertised for me.

You can download the Command Post Blacklite manual here.

For those of you that don't like to read, here are some notes that I found useful:

- Cable tension matters tremendously if you want the seat post to function correctly. Make sure the cable is routed in such a way that it isn't stretched and/or kinked when your bike's suspension flexes. Also, make sure the cable isn't overly taught or the seat post will move inadvertently.

- Be sure the seat post is in the fully extended position when you fill it with air. Otherwise the seat post will not return to the fully extended position due to insufficient air pressure. Keep in mind, 40 psi is the maximum recommended air pressure.

- The use of carbon paste will prevent your seat from tipping and tilting.

Best of luck.
    JA

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just wanted to mention that I'm at the end of a 8-day trip including Santa Fe, Cortez, Moab, and Fruita/GJ.... and this post has killed it! With my old Joplin I never knew exactly where I was in the range - if you wanted the seat down an inch or so you had to jack around until you got it into the right position. When you put it all the way up sometimes you wouldn't quite know if that was all the way up or not. With the Blacklite you get a reassuring "CLACK" when you lock into a position. No guess-work!

Also, being able to grab the bike by the seat during a hike-a-bike without worrying about getting air into the hydraulics is great... especially after a week of brain-frying heat out on the trails!

The only issue I have had so far is with the crappy plastic ferrules they give you with the cable. The ferrule at the post end broke and let the steel cable housing wires start to poke through. The post worked fine though - I just happened to spot the problem at the end of the day while doing a check-up on the bike. I replaced the ferrules with some metal Jagwire ones from my parts bin and the problem is now solved forever.

mtbr member
    Specialized Youtube channel on Blacklite maintance:

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Specialized Youtube channel on Blacklite maintance:

Nice!! Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiemtnbkr View Post
    Nice!! Thanks man!
    No problem. I actually did the service today and it was very easy. Definitely use the bike to clamp the seatpost when loosening the top. I tried holding it in my hand while using the strap wrench and couldn't get it to budge. As soon as I relented and used the bike it loosened right up. I did get bad news though, when I discovered that the collet was broken and was causing the stickiness I was chasing, not lack of lubrication. It's a warranty repair at least.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I absolutely love my command post. Not only does it provide versatility on the go but it looks really cool.

One problem, when I am out riding, once in awhile if I sit down on it hard, the seat angle will shoot up the nose. I then have stop and readjust. Is anyone else having this problem? I added a bit of carbon paste and it works great but just a bit noisy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    any idea when spesh is going to get these back in stock on their website?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Late July, early August was the response I got from Specialized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    Late July, early August was the response I got from Specialized.

Don't count on it....they told me April when I was looking back in the winter! It's a moving target. IMHO, they are using all the production to put on new bikes. My LBS has had 100mm models in stock, but the 125's seem to be super scarce.

Used, or take offs appear on eBay regularly, but they fetch close to full retail (or more) and they are NOT covered by Specialized's warranty. I must say that after 4-5 phone calls to Specialized customer service I'm not a big fan. That said, I'd still like to score a Blacklite at some point.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Glad I got mine when I did. No complaints with my Blacklite so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    just buy a new specialize with it... LOL! JK!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mmohome2 View Post
    It looks like you can get the remote in two flavors: one that comes with grips, in which case the remote lever doubles as the grip retention clamp, or without grips, in which case the remote lever just mounts to empty space on the handlebar like anything else.

In looking at the picture of the dual purpose remote lever/grip clamp, I don't see why that couldn't be made to work with some other brand of grips. However, Big S is the master of making things proprietary just for the sake of being non-compatible with everything else.
    when buying the blacklite aftermarket the lever that is comes with is the old style that only clamps to the bars.

when buying a complete bike that is equipeed with the blacklite the lever is the type that doubles as a grip lock. also supplied with the completes is a bushing/spacer to clamp the lever just on the bars if not using specialized grips, or you dont like the position when locked on the grip.

and i am pretty sure the specialized grips have a unique/proprietary clamp profile and the lever cant be used on any other grips, definitely not anything made by ODI.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Just an update y Blacklite has developed quite a bit of side to side play owned since end of April. Enough that it rattles. Working with local dealer to get it looked at- ordered directly from Specialized website.

Works great otherwise and I love the preset at 1" and full drop. No stiction, no issues raising or lowering, very smooth.

Not angering or disappointed- just a heads up. Let you all know how Spesh handles it.

I actually have a DSP Bighorn that a distributor sent me without receiving payment- those trusting Canadians they probably dont even lock their doors at night....I havent used it and was about to send it back but might hold onto for a bit longer depending on the verdict from the Big S. I need international paperwork from the distributor to send it back anyways.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    my blacklite also has a very slight side to side play(don't notice while I'm riding). I can't remember for sure but I didn't think I noticed any play at all when it was new so pretty sure this side to side play is new. Right now it is not noticeable while riding. I hope it doesn't get worse(or if it does I hope it gets worse before the warranty is up!).

mtbr member
    the side to side is more annoying than anything else- as long at it doesnt fail on the trail which is what has happened to so many others' posts (not specialized but other makes). I personally have never had a post fail on me BUT I also have never had one develop side to side play.

mtbr member
    I've had my blacklite since they came out. It has always had a little wiggle, but it has never got worse and never failed me and I've never noticed in while riding. The only thing I've had to do was replace the cable after the housing got full of grit from the wet riding conditions this winter/spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    After 300 miles, I am verry satisfied of my Blacklite. No problem!
    Excuse me for my english, I am a french Canadian...

mtbr member
    Well problem solved- my saddle was broken even the bike shop guy was surprised. We went to remove the seat and discovered it was cracked where the rail goes into nose of the seat. Replaced saddle and now the wiggle is back to when I bought it. Sigh- thank goodness I dont have to send it in or be without it for a period of time.

mtbr member
    I need a remote switch.
    Has anyone used a nonspec. remote or prefer a different compatable remote?

mtbr member

New, fairly comprehensive review of Blacklite @ Pinkbike

See it HERE.

They've used it for a year and have a nice writeup on it.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    See it HERE.

They've used it for a year and have a nice writeup on it.
    Mine is in for warranty with the same issue they had. The very front of the collect snapped off and my seat wouldn't return all the way up without a manual tug even at 40psi.

Hopefully they make this piece a bit strudier or I'm certain I'll break it again.
    Oh well, if it does I'll sell it and go GD turbo.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have ridden this blacklite hard, i have the 125mm with the 3 positions. The only thing i had to do was add about 30psi, as anything less and it just wasnt as responsive.

The other drawback is it's weight, its a bit heavy for a dropper seatpost, but i can live with the small weight difference for its great performance so far! I recommend this seatpost for sure. Great stuff.
    Last edited by jesse101; 07-26-2012 at 09:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have only done one ride so far on mine but it feels solid and well built. Going to do a comparison between my Joplin 3 and command post after a few more rides.

mtbr member
    I took mine apart to service it and greased it with maxima waterproof grease(super thick).
    It gave it a hydraulic, damped feel. Kind of like I had turned the rebound way up(if it had rebound).
    I'm stoked! It comes up nice and controlled and dosnt do the loud rough top out anymore. I used a lot of grease, like COVERED the collet and another big 2finger scoop into the outer tube.
    If it's not one thing it's your mother

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast