Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    But do I need the extra inch?
    Everybody does.

Seriously though, I would take as much as your bike/setup would fit. Nice to be able to slam it.

mtbr member
    I visited the shop where I bought my bike, which is also a Specialized dealer. Turns out they don't have the 125mm version after all. The manager of the bike shop, who is a pretty good guy and very experienced, thought that the 100mm version (which they do have in stock...) would be more than enough for me.

I'm not a real experienced rider but I figured that 125mm would be better, but maybe not? I'm 6' tall and my current seatpost has about 8" exposed from the seat tube to the saddle rails. I've measured and the 125mm post should fit fine. But do I need the extra inch? My main purpose in buying this is to get me used to getting "back" when heading downhill--failure to do so a few months ago led to a fairly serious crash/face plant and broken ribs.

PS: I also asked him about Specialized's policies and whether he would be OK with sending in a post for warranty work if I bought one from someplace on the internet. He told me that Specialized would require a proof-of-purchase and he couldn't do it. Art's Cyclery would ship one, but they don't have the 125mm version either!
    I understand your dilemma. HOWEVER, I too agree with the bike shop manager.

I am 6'5" and have the 125mm version... but even when its fully dropped, it doesn't "slam" to the frame like many people prefer to do for descending because at my height the post is still 5cm out of the frame from the seal collet. In reality you do not want your post to drop all the way to the frame, even for downhills. Dropping your seat is very important for bike control at speed on the downhills, but having your seat still somewhat between your legs is just as important for your lateral bike control and especially cornering (resting the seat on your inner thigh of the inner leg relative to the corner).

Example: look at how high many World Cup DH racers setup their seats. Check out Steve Peat and Greg Minaar, two 6'+ DH racers.

Anyways, seeing as how you are 6' tall I don't see the extra 25mm of drop actually being that helpful for you.

Hope this helps. (by the way I work at a bike shop, if that helps my credibility)
    Intense 951, Transition Bandit 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I visited the shop where I bought my bike, which is also a Specialized dealer. Turns out they don't have the 125mm version after all. The manager of the bike shop, who is a pretty good guy and very experienced, thought that the 100mm version (which they do have in stock...) would be more than enough for me.

I'm not a real experienced rider but I figured that 125mm would be better, but maybe not? I'm 6' tall and my current seatpost has about 8" exposed from the seat tube to the saddle rails. I've measured and the 125mm post should fit fine. But do I need the extra inch? My main purpose in buying this is to get me used to getting "back" when heading downhill--failure to do so a few months ago led to a fairly serious crash/face plant and broken ribs.

PS: I also asked him about Specialized's policies and whether he would be OK with sending in a post for warranty work if I bought one from someplace on the internet. He told me that Specialized would require a proof-of-purchase and he couldn't do it. Art's Cyclery would ship one, but they don't have the 125mm version either!
    i rode my buddies 2010 enduro size large for a couple months with a 100mm command post on it. when i bought my 2012 enduro also size large and i am 6' tall i bought the 125mm command post i like it a lot better. with the stock post i was running it it the max height for climbing, and slammed as low as it would go for descending. with the 125mm command post i have it set at the "9" line.
    Juice

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Anybody know if you can turn the post 180 degrees and still have it operate properly? (so the offset is to the front of the bike and not the rear)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by karatemonkey View Post
    Anybody know if you can turn the post 180 degrees and still have it operate properly? (so the offset is to the front of the bike and not the rear)
    I think that's a question best asked of Spec.
    Why would you want to? The setback is only 20mm. You could simply
    move your seat forward on the rails 20mm to compensate.

mtbr member
    Simple answer is yes. I ran my original command post like that for 18months without problem.
    As to why. It makes for a cleaner routing of the cable as it doesnt have to bend around the top tube/seat post interface, and it can then be run down the back of the seatpost and back under the toptube or with a longer cable it can be run under the bottom bracket and up under the bottom of the downtube.
    As Mestapho advises it does mean you inverted the setback but this can be adjusted via the saddle rails to get your seat into the right position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Blacklite with Sx trail?

I am considering buying a used 2011 Sx trail. I would like to know how far you can insert the blacklite seatpost into the bike.

Is there enough room to have the seatpost so that it is almost flush with the seat tube? I am curious if I can get it as low as possible if necessary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by somno View Post
    I am considering buying a used 2011 Sx trail. I would like to know how far you can insert the blacklite seatpost into the bike.

Is there enough room to have the seatpost so that it is almost flush with the seat tube? I am curious if I can get it as low as possible if necessary.
    Why not ask the seller to check it for you..?

Plus it'll also help if you list the size of the frame.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Sx trail and Blacklite post.

He does not have the balcklite post and I am not sure how it would fit into the Sx trail (medium).

mtbr member
    He does not have the balcklite post and I am not sure how it would fit into the Sx trail (medium).

Simple, just tell him to take any old seatpost that fits in the seattube and shove it all the way down...then measure how far it went in. Take that length and purchase the correct length blacklite. People have posted the length of each size of the blacklite somewhere on this forum; sorry, I'm not going to do your homework for you so use the search function.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I just picked mine up and installed it last night. It's my first dropper seatpost, so I have nothing to compare it to, but seems to work well. Haven't had a chance to ride yet.

The owner's manual says to lubricate the inner tube (the smaller diameter part of the post) every ride, but doesn't say what to use. What are people using?
    I use Slick Honey most times. Every once in a while I'll use triflow.
    I'll lube it up, cycle it up and down a few times, wipe off the excess and that's it.

mtbr member
    +1 for bizzy slick honey. I use that on my seat post, fork stanchion and rear shock stanchion. Apply near the seals. Cycle up and down. Wife off excess. I apply every 3-4 rides.

mtbr member

You can go as low as the blacklite collar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Do these have a weight limit? I am 120kgs and was wondering if I would break it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh01 View Post
    I have the 125 versions on each of my two bikes, one since it was first available and one for about 3 months. I ride 4-6 times a month and have had no problems with operation. I agree with some of the comments that the lever can be a bit awkward, but I seem to have gotten used to it. I clearly have more confidence on descents as a result. The only issue I have had was not being able to tighten the seat enough to prevent the seat from rotating (nose popping up) periodically, even though I was tightening way over spec. Problem seems to have been solved with use of a bit of carbon paste. Other than that, so far they have been great!
    So my 2 month old blacklite does the same thing, tightened up the bolt pretty good and the seat still keepts going nose up on me. Any one else having this problem? Any other fixes other than carbon paste? Going to take it apart, clean and reassemble with carbon past and see if that helps.

Brian

mtbr member
    Carbon paste solved this for me.
    In between the red circles and the black post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Carbon paste solved this for me.
    In between the red circles and the black post.
    +1 Same here. I stopped by local sports basement store and ask them for a sample pack. They hooked me up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Went riding yesterday with the carbon paste in there. Worked perfectly! Great fix!
    Thanks again for the help!
    Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does the blacklite have any speed adjust? My friends new bike has one and its so fast it could be deadly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Psi?

mtbr member
    Pull the post out and let 5psi out of the bottom. The air pressure controls the speed. I found mine is too fast at 40psi, but wont return fully at 25psi so I keep it in the mid 30s.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Pull the post out and let 5psi out of the bottom. The air pressure controls the speed. I found mine is too fast at 40psi, but wont return fully at 25psi so I keep it in the mid 30s.
    Ok thanks. I figured it was with the PSI but wasn't completely sure. He got the bike used so i don't know that much about the parts on it

thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Does anyone not feel any left/right play when they torque the seat left/right by hand on their blacklite?

I just got a new 31.6/125 and it has noticeable left/right play. I measured it at 1/16" at the tip of the saddle at the climbing height. I'd say it's about the same or maybe a hair more than my old Joplin. In the 35mm down position it has a bit more play, and at the fully dropped position it has even more left/right play with some up/down slop added in also. The play in the bottom position obviously doesn't bother me.

I'm just wondering who else can detect or measure play in their Blacklite.

mtbr member
    I can detect play when off the bike, but I have never noticed it while riding, and I thought I was going to be real sensitive to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, my experience with the Joplin is that the play isn't usually noticeable while riding. I was just curious what other people have have seen with their Blacklite posts.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast