Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My wife saw the mini rubber rocket condom part sitting on my desk and said, "great install job, you left off a piece". Specialized, you made me look like an ass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was on a ride and all the sudden my seatpost wouldn't spring back up. It was stuck in the lower position until i moved it back up manually, which it stayed at that height until i pressed the remote lever again. I thought great, here we go, ive had it for 5 months and the rumors are true. This is just another seatpost that fails after about 30-40 rides.
    When i got home and inspected it, i saw that the seatpost "collet" was loose. In the end, this piece being loose must have allowed air to escape from the chamber. All it took to fix was hand tighten this piece and use my shock pump to get it back up to 30psi. It is good as new! I love my blacklite!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Redley78 View Post
    I was on a ride and all the sudden my seatpost wouldn't spring back up. It was stuck in the lower position until i moved it back up manually, which it stayed at that height until i pressed the remote lever again. I thought great, here we go, ive had it for 5 months and the rumors are true. This is just another seatpost that fails after about 30-40 rides.
    When i got home and inspected it, i saw that the seatpost "collet" was loose. In the end, this piece being loose must have allowed air to escape from the chamber. All it took to fix was hand tighten this piece and use my shock pump to get it back up to 30psi. It is good as new! I love my blacklite!
    Haven't had my Blacklight for as long, but this thing saved my bikes life! Using it has really be such a pleasure. No problems this far, and I have the confidence to believe that if I do run up against anything (similar to what you did), it'll be a quick fix that I can do on my own. Thumbs up for sure!

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
    Judging by the reviews it sounds like there is no movement "play" issues with the seatpost. Unfortunately it appears my 100mm dropper I installed last night does. When in the middle dropper setting I have roughly 1/16" vertical play. The actual play isn't the issue to me it is the very audible clunk when you weight and unweight the post. Anybody have this issue?
    I am taking it for it first real ride now so I will see how big of an issue it is during trail riding. Likely be heading back to the bike shop where I bought it for their opinion.
    Sorry for the old post revival, but I'm wondering: how did this eventually pan out? I have one ride on my Blacklite, and it has the same play + clunk you describe. I won't be able to get the thing to a dealer for weeks, and certainly not in time for the next trip.

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There's no play in my black lite. I had one ride on one and it was clearly busted. Mike's Bikes just swapped it out. I would think if it was within 30 days your LBS would do the same.

chips & bier
    Okay, guess I'll take it in to the dealer when I'm back. As this defaults to a distributor warranty claim it will take weeks anyway, so I guess there's no rush. Was just wondering (hoping) the 1/16" of vertical play was a feature, not a bug

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

seat creeps all the way back, any ideas?

This is the only post I have ever had that the seat slowly creeps all the way back. I have only had the seat rotate in the clamp once and then I took a bit of sandpaper to it to rough up the surfaces and that fixed that problem but I cannot keep the seat form slipping backwards. Anyone else with this problem. I have overtightened it to see if that works but nothing seems to help. Titanium rails on the seat (WTB Rocket V).

mtbr member
    ".... seat slowly creeps all the way back" & "I have overtightened it to see if that works"

Dont over tighten the clamp as you will weaken the rails if they are hollow. Check how tight using a torque wrench if possible.
    If it still slides check for any oil/grease on the interface and also check that the clamp bolt hasnt come undone.

I had a similar problem on a road bike and it was due to the shape of the rails not matching the clamp so very little contact/grip.
    I solve this by putting a small amount of electrical insulation tape on the rails to increase the size and grip. Its worth a try if nothing else is working.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzean View Post
    This is the only post I have ever had that the seat slowly creeps all the way back. I have only had the seat rotate in the clamp once and then I took a bit of sandpaper to it to rough up the surfaces and that fixed that problem but I cannot keep the seat form slipping backwards. Anyone else with this problem. I have overtightened it to see if that works but nothing seems to help. Titanium rails on the seat (WTB Rocket V).
    I had this problem too. The seat would shift back in the middle of riding a section which was very annoying!
    I repeatedly tighted the bolt with a lot of torque and it would continue to happen. Finally, i was at the point where i was gonna go back to the bike shop for their advice, but i decided to tighten it as much as i could. Its probably never coming off now, but it hasnt moved since.
    I know this is not recommended, but it worked for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzean View Post
    Try some carbon assembly paste on the clamp, I did that from the get-go and haven't had any slippage issues.

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    I've started experiencing an issue where my post rises but slowly...especially in the second stage (from middle to extended riding position).

I'm not sure why...I checked the air pressure, it's fine no leaks. Cable is fine. The actuator is moving freely and all the way down into the release position when I use the switch on the handle bar.

The seatpost clamp is not too tight either.

I tried lubing the stanchion up but it isn't helping.

On occasion when I manually cycle the post up down and up with my hands I can feel a bit of grinding in there. Not always, just sometimes.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by littleblue View Post
    I've started experiencing an issue where my post rises but slowly...especially in the second stage (from middle to extended riding position).

I'm not sure why...I checked the air pressure, it's fine no leaks. Cable is fine. The actuator is moving freely and all the way down into the release position when I use the switch on the handle bar.

The seatpost clamp is not too tight either.

I tried lubing the stanchion up but it isn't helping.

On occasion when I manually cycle the post up down and up with my hands I can feel a bit of grinding in there. Not always, just sometimes.

Thoughts?
    I've had the same issue. From what I understand from reading the instruction manual, it happens because of the outside temps. When it's lower than 50 degrees F, the oil in the post has a tendency to become "sticky". There's a different weight oil you can get to remedy this problem, but to me it's not worth it with warmer temps right around the corner. With mine, it happened maybe 1 time out of every 20 times I lowered the post. If it doesn't happen when the post is warm (like inside your house) then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    This is just my experience anyway, if it's really worrying you, take it in to the shop and see what they have to say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    I've had the same issue. From what I understand from reading the instruction manual, it happens because of the outside temps. When it's lower than 50 degrees F, the oil in the post has a tendency to become "sticky". There's a different weight oil you can get to remedy this problem, but to me it's not worth it with warmer temps right around the corner. With mine, it happened maybe 1 time out of every 20 times I lowered the post. If it doesn't happen when the post is warm (like inside your house) then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    This is just my experience anyway, if it's really worrying you, take it in to the shop and see what they have to say.
    I noticed the exact same issue on mine. Post was rising slowly when the temps were in the thirties. As soon as it got back to room temp it worked flawlessly.

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbozo View Post
    I noticed the exact same issue on mine. Post was rising slowly when the temps were in the thirties. As soon as it got back to room temp it worked flawlessly.
    Damn...I'm having this issue in the house and outside...plus I'm in "sunny CA" so my riding temperatures aren't much below 50 degrees.

mtbr member
    FYI, my BL has had zero issues. I ride every other day 15-20 miles per ride in varying temps, actuate the post multiple times during ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    I know this an old post, but I thought I would add my comment and rant a little bit about Specialized and their policies.

I've been in the market for a dropper seatpost for awhile now and I keep coming back to preferring the Blacklight. However, over the past six months it has been very difficult, if not impossible to get one from the Specialized website or from my local Specialized dealers (2 here in Albuquerque).

In the meantime there have been several take-offs available on various forums and on eBay. The catch on these is that Specialized will NOT cover any of these under warranty. I've called Specialized twice to confirm this.

Additionally, Specialized won't authorize internet sellers to ship their products, so even if you find a dealer who has an internet presence (Art's Cyclery is one) they are limited to selling to walk-in customers only.

I have let Specialized's customer service reps know that I'm not happy with their policy. I guess I could understand/forgive the no-warranty policy if they would at least allow their dealers to sell across the internet. But the reps I've spoken with have pretty clearly had their hands tied and Specialized certainly isn't going to mind they have PO'd one potential customer.

Spring is coming so I'm going to want to get something for the new season, but I'm close to the point of not buying ANYTHING from Specialized, just on principle.

Rant over.....
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    Additionally, Specialized won't authorize internet sellers to ship their products, so even if you find a dealer who has an internet presence (Art's Cyclery is one) they are limited to selling to walk-in customers only.
    I bought mine from Art's Cyclery and had it shipped to me.
    Used the 15% off coupon code and it ended up being $250 shipped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I bought mine from Art's Cyclery and had it shipped to me.
    Used the 15% off coupon code and it ended up being $250 shipped.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try calling them again. I spoke with someone there today and he thought he couldn't ship, but wasn't sure. I'll follow up.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    I just checked and I ordered it on Jan. 4th
    The coupon code is SAVE15.

Product Name Order Alloc Price Total
    Specialized Blacklite Command Post 30.9x425 1 1 274.99 274.99
    15% Off Customer Appreciation Discount 1 1 -41.24 -41.24
    Sub Total = 233.75
    Sales Tax = 18.12
    Ship Via: UPS Ground = 0.00
    Payment Method: Visa/Master Card = 251.87

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    I know this an old post, but I thought I would add my comment and rant a little bit about Specialized and their policies.

I've been in the market for a dropper seatpost for awhile now and I keep coming back to preferring the Blacklight. However, over the past six months it has been very difficult, if not impossible to get one from the Specialized website or from my local Specialized dealers (2 here in Albuquerque).

In the meantime there have been several take-offs available on various forums and on eBay. The catch on these is that Specialized will NOT cover any of these under warranty. I've called Specialized twice to confirm this.

I have let Specialized's customer service reps know that I'm not happy with their policy. I guess I could understand/forgive the no-warranty policy if they would at least allow their dealers to sell across the internet. But the reps I've spoken with have pretty clearly had their hands tied and Specialized certainly isn't going to mind they have PO'd one potential customer.

Spring is coming so I'm going to want to get something for the new season, but I'm close to the point of not buying ANYTHING from Specialized, just on principle.

Rant over.....
    Agree- Big S' polices are totally lame. I decided to get a Blacklite when it had just recently come out, and I had to wait several months till my size was in stock. This product has been out for about a year now (?) and Big S still can't produce enough supply to meet demand? That's ghey-tarded.

You should hold out for one with a warranty, dropper posts seem to be one of the most trouble-prone components. Hopefully Fox's D.O.S.S. will be coming out soon, that looks like an attractive alternative to the blacklite, although I'm sure it won't be cheap.

More posts to be hitting the market soon, such as the Kronolog, KS Lev, etc. etc., more competition is a good thing. Big S better get its act together. Doesn't Big S have a saying "innovate or die?" That being said, I love my blacklite and I would get another one, but I won't wait for months and months next time.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mestapho;9092779]I just checked and I ordered it on Jan. 4th

Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    You should hold out for one with a warranty, dropper posts seem to be one of the most trouble-prone components. Hopefully Fox's D.O.S.S. will be coming out soon, that looks like an attractive alternative to the blacklite, although I'm sure it won't be cheap.
    Just got off the phone with someone at Art's Cyclery who said that for peripheral gear, they can ship Specialized to me. The bad news is that the 125mm x 30.9 model is out of stock and won't be back in until May.

More good news is that one of my local Spesh dealers says they have one in stock. Not sure whether it is the aftermarket model with the handlebar clamp, or a take-off with the lever on the grip-end. I suppose it doesn't matter much.

The guy at Art's really liked the Blacklite and said they seem to be much more reliable than anything else out there right now.

I do understand Specialized's requiring proof-of-purchase for warranty work, but it's hard to take when they are keeping all the production stock reserved for their own new bikes.

And yes, I wouldn't buy any of these products without the warranty since they all seem to be prone to some kind of failure sooner or later.

Thanks for the input guys.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Porschefan;9092843]
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I just checked and I ordered it on Jan. 4th

Just got off the phone with someone at Art's Cyclery who said that for peripheral gear, they can ship Specialized to me. The bad news is that the 125mm x 30.9 model is out of stock and won't be back in until May.

More good news is that one of my local Spesh dealers says they have one in stock. Not sure whether it is the aftermarket model with the handlebar clamp, or a take-off with the lever on the grip-end. I suppose it doesn't matter much.

The guy at Art's really liked the Blacklite and said they seem to be much more reliable than anything else out there right now.

I do understand Specialized's requiring proof-of-purchase for warranty work, but it's hard to take when they are keeping all the production stock reserved for their own new bikes.

And yes, I wouldn't buy any of these products without the warranty since they all seem to be prone to some kind of failure sooner or later.

Thanks for the input guys.
    After 3 mos of riding with this post I can say it is awesome.
    Only had issues on one ride where it kept slipping down to the cruiser height on its own. Hasn't done it anymore.
    For pure reliability I would go Gravity Dropper though.

mtbr member
    "Additionally, Specialized won't authorize internet sellers to ship their products, so even if you find a dealer who has an internet presence (Art's Cyclery is one) they are limited to selling to walk-in customers only"

Speci doesnt permit internet sales simply to ensure that all franchises & shops offer a minimum level of service and quality. Thats not a bad thing for the buyer and it also makes sure that the buyer gets the right size bike etc.
    I dont think there is any issues with buyers purchasing over the phone and having items shipped though. When I bought my original Command post I contacted Speci Uk as none of the local dealers had them in stock. Speci pointed me in the direction of a dealer they new had stock and recommended shipping.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    Speci doesnt permit internet sales simply to ensure that all franchises & shops offer a minimum level of service and quality. Thats not a bad thing for the buyer and it also makes sure that the buyer gets the right size bike etc.
    No, they do not permit that because they are an evil empire who destroy independent shops and compete through lawsuits.

mtbr member

100mm vs. 125mm drops

I visited the shop where I bought my bike, which is also a Specialized dealer. Turns out they don't have the 125mm version after all. The manager of the bike shop, who is a pretty good guy and very experienced, thought that the 100mm version (which they do have in stock...) would be more than enough for me.

I'm not a real experienced rider but I figured that 125mm would be better, but maybe not? I'm 6' tall and my current seatpost has about 8" exposed from the seat tube to the saddle rails. I've measured and the 125mm post should fit fine. But do I need the extra inch? My main purpose in buying this is to get me used to getting "back" when heading downhill--failure to do so a few months ago led to a fairly serious crash/face plant and broken ribs.

PS: I also asked him about Specialized's policies and whether he would be OK with sending in a post for warranty work if I bought one from someplace on the internet. He told me that Specialized would require a proof-of-purchase and he couldn't do it. Art's Cyclery would ship one, but they don't have the 125mm version either!
    Last edited by Porschefan; 03-14-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast