Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Remote is available seperately from your speci dealer for about 20.
    From personal experience I still think the level is the weak part of the whole untit as its pivot is a tiny bar and the alloy wears fast.
    Ive looked at the other alternatives Joplin/Crank & HKS and they are either just as weak or in the case of the HKS a bit too over engineered which makes it stick out miles from the bar.
    The one I do like the look of is the new Giant Switch. The remote seems better positioned but the pivot is still thin.
    I guess the only alternative is to make one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    After two months with the Blacklite, and haven't tried a Reverb, it seems that now I fully understand your comments.
    I find myself dropping the blacklite before any steep/technical section cause I know I won't be able to drop it in the middle, and I blame the lever (a bit too hard to push) and the fact that I have to drop it until I feel the "click".
    That said, my Blacklite has been working flawlessly: it hasn't developed any play and feels absolutely rock solid. If it fails during an epic ride it's very likely that I'll be able of locking it in its higher position and keep going on. That adds lots of confidence, actually I trust my Blacklite as much as I trust my brakes or...my frame. Couldn't be happier with it
    I would echo these comments as well. After being finicky initially, my Blacklite is working great and I have a high degree of confidence in it. While it's not difficult to operate per se, it does require some mental and physical dexterity to operate, I could see how the push-button Reverb would be easier. Not a big deal just cruising along, but when my brain is in an oxygen-deprived state, I have botched saddle drops and have mistaken the dropper lever for the rapidfire lever.

Lurking Hard
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I would echo these comments as well. After being finicky initially, my Blacklite is working great and I have a high degree of confidence in it. While it's not difficult to operate per se, it does require some mental and physical dexterity to operate, I could see how the push-button Reverb would be easier. Not a big deal just cruising along, but when my brain is in an oxygen-deprived state, I have botched saddle drops and have mistaken the dropper lever for the rapidfire lever.
    I hear that. I occasionally mistime the release of the lever and the seat follows me back up.

mtbr member
    After deciding that this was the adjustable post I wanted, I called my local (ABQ, NM, USA) Specialized dealer to inquire about ordering one. All three 30.9 sizes are "out of stock" on the Specialized website.

Local dealer #1 told me that the 125mm post I wanted wasn't going to be available until....get this....APRIL 20, 2012. I couldn't believe it. Called another local Specialized dealer and confirmed. Called Specialized Customer Support and confirmed none are available, but wouldn't give a availability date nor a reason why.

I'm told that the 100mm posts MIGHT be more available, but I'm not sure I want one of those.

I may just end up with the Giant Contact Switch which is about $100 cheaper anyway. Only 4-inches of travel, and infinitely adjustable. Or maybe back to the Reverb.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by madmossy View Post
    Looks like a rebranded X-Fusion Hilo 100 to me or atleast very very close to one.
    Except the Hilo is hydraulic and the command post is mechanical, and was designed in house by Mike mcAndrews and the R&D team at specialized.
    If it's not one thing it's your mother

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    X-Fusion Hilo is hydraulic with infinite position. The Specialized is mechanical with 3 preset position so they are completely different.
    Oh... I was on page one. You got it handled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    After deciding that this was the adjustable post I wanted, I called my local (ABQ, NM, USA) Specialized dealer to inquire about ordering one. All three 30.9 sizes are "out of stock" on the Specialized website.

Local dealer #1 told me that the 125mm post I wanted wasn't going to be available until....get this....APRIL 20, 2012. I couldn't believe it. Called another local Specialized dealer and confirmed. Called Specialized Customer Support and confirmed none are available, but wouldn't give a availability date nor a reason why.

I'm told that the 100mm posts MIGHT be more available, but I'm not sure I want one of those.

I may just end up with the Giant Contact Switch which is about $100 cheaper anyway. Only 4-inches of travel, and infinitely adjustable. Or maybe back to the Reverb.
    I got mine from wheel world.com last week.... Try them maybe. The 125 too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspinn View Post
    I got mine from wheel world.com last week.... Try them maybe. The 125 too.
    Thanks for the tip. I checked their site and it says they are in stock in their Culver City (probably California?) store and that they can only sell to someone who actually walks in the store. Is that what you did? They are out of stock at their warehouse and another location, and per the site their distributor requires them to sell only to "live" customers.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is the 2012 "Blacklite" or the earlier "plain" Command Posts?

If anyone knows where to get one, let me know. Otherwise I'll probably settle for the Giant Contact Switch for $200.

Here's the link to Wheelworld:

Wheelworld

Thanks again for the tip!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Try with Art's Cyclery, I'm in Chile and got mine from them.

mtbr member
    Try with Art's Cyclery, I'm in Chile and got mine from them.
    Thanks, Jai. They have the 100mm version. I'm pretty new, so I'm wondering whether I really need the 125mm version, or would I be happy with 100mm? I'm 6', ride a 2010 Yeti ASR 5, Large frame.

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks, Jai. They have the 100mm version. I'm pretty new, so I'm wondering whether I really need the 125mm version, or would I be happy with 100mm? I'm 6', ride a 2010 Yeti ASR 5, Large frame.
    I can't answer yes or no ... it's a very personal decision. I've got the 125 mm version (intense tracer, large, same height as you, long legged) only because I thought I would need 425mm from top to bottom, but I'm pretty sure that if the travel had been 100mm I would be as happy as I'm now with 125. At least for me, a 100mm drop is more than enough.
    Give them a call anyway, maybe they have the 125 version (I'm not sure if their website showed that they had it in stock when I bought it)

mtbr member
    I can't answer yes or no ... it's a very personal decision. I've got the 125 mm version (intense tracer, large, same height as you, long legged) only because I thought I would need 425mm from top to bottom, but I'm pretty sure that if the travel had been 100mm I would be as happy as I'm now with 125. At least for me, a 100mm drop is more than enough.
    Give them a call anyway, maybe they have the 125 version (I'm not sure if their website showed that they had it in stock when I bought it)

Seems like the 125mm size is just not available, unless I get lucky and someone lets me know of a bike shop or online vendor that has one.

I flirted with getting a 2012 RS Reverb, but they seem to be just asking for a headache--nice post, though.

Now I'm considering getting a used or possible NOS (new old stock) "Command Post" -- pre-Blacklite. I know the Blacklite weighs less, but are they any other features that I would really be missing if I compromise and get the older version?
    Last edited by Porschefan; 10-24-2011 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seems like the 125mm size is just not available, unless I get lucky and someone lets me know of a bike shop or online vendor that has one.

I flirted with getting a 2012 RS Reverb, but those things just seem to asking for a headache.

Now I'm considering getting a used or possible NOS (new old stock) "Command Post" -- pre-Blacklite. I know the Blacklite weighs less, but are they any other features that I would really be missing if I compromise and get the older version?
    I have the old Command post I bought used on Ebay. I love mine. Haven't had any problems with it so far
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I have the old Command post I bought used on Ebay. I love mine. Haven't had any problems with it so far
    Good to hear....I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good used one too.

Austin, Texas
    I had 3 Joplins and I am on my 4th Reverb. Next stop is the Blacklite.
    Austin, Texas

mtbr member
    Why not contact the Specialized Head office in your area.
    They were very helpful sourcing one for me and were able to advise which suppliers actually had them in stock and provide contact details.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    Why not contact the Specialized Head office in your area.
    They were very helpful sourcing one for me and were able to advise which suppliers actually had them in stock and provide contact details.
    I called Specialized "headquarters" and they weren't particularly helpful. None in stock (125mm version). I've called about 8 dealers/internet shops and all are out. Some are saying Nov-Dec instead of April though.

mtbr member
    I am 5'-7" and bought the 125mm blacklite. In hindsight i should of gotten the 100 mm version. Currently installed with the collar at the seat post clamp. This is fine for climbing. But when descending i feel its too low. Feels like sitting on a bmx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker View Post
    I am 5'-7" and bought the 125mm blacklite. In hindsight i should of gotten the 100 mm version. Currently installed with the collar at the seat post clamp. This is fine for climbing. But when descending i feel its too low. Feels like sitting on a bmx.
    I don't think it's meant to be sat on when fully slammed?? Isn't the idea to just get it out of the way so you can get your weight low and back as you balance on the pedals descending?

mtbr member
    Not all descents are steep so there are occasions where i am seated at the lowest command post position.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker View Post
    Not all descents are steep so there are occasions where i am seated at the lowest command post position.
    you always have that middle position to use...

also, the specialized dealer site is saying early december for the 125mm version, and late november for the 75mm and 100mm. there are plenty 31.6x75/100 available, and the 125mm "should" also be available early december.

time frames are just an estimate, not exact science

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks great. Might get one for my specialized rockhopper...hmmmm

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i just got mine from my local dealer who sourced it from a specialized dealer rep type person, it is all brand new but there is noticable play when twisting the saddle side to side, i can see the inner tube moving side to side very slightly within the outer part of the post. my bike came with a regular command post which had no play whatsoever, i am wondering if i should get another blacklite or if this is normal? It was a headache to install and i realize they are very difficult to get a hold of so can someone with a blacklite provide feedback?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boblepesh1 View Post
    i just got mine from my local dealer who sourced it from a specialized dealer rep type person, it is all brand new but there is noticable play when twisting the saddle side to side, i can see the inner tube moving side to side very slightly within the outer part of the post. my bike came with a regular command post which had no play whatsoever, i am wondering if i should get another blacklite or if this is normal? It was a headache to install and i realize they are very difficult to get a hold of so can someone with a blacklite provide feedback?
    That doesn't sound normal. My blacklite post has no side to side play at all.

Delirious Tuck
    No play on mine either.

RE: two levers... tricker to set it up that just switch whole thing back and forth if you're not cutting zip ties every time...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast