Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    Are others having this problem, or is this something that will happen until the post gets a chance to break in? What PSI are people running? I am going to bump the air pressure up to 35 and see if that fixes it.
    Use the TriFlow, or light lube as stated above, and let it break in for a couple rides.
    Mine did this at first, too (original model, with the upgraded sealhead.) It worked ok at first, but got super smooth after a few rides. I'm running 30-35psi in mine, and have not had to add air in over a year of use now. I make sure my rear is on the seat, or completely away from it when I want it at the top position, otherwise I'll get a "punch" where I don't want it

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo View Post
    Use the TriFlow, or light lube as stated above, and let it break in for a couple rides.
    Mine did this at first, too (original model, with the upgraded sealhead.) It worked ok at first, but got super smooth after a few rides. I'm running 30-35psi in mine, and have not had to add air in over a year of use now. I make sure my rear is on the seat, or completely away from it when I want it at the top position, otherwise I'll get a "punch" where I don't want it
    Also, might want to try loosening your seat clamp first to make sure the clamp is not too tight, making the post bind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by madmossy View Post
    Looks like a rebranded X-Fusion Hilo 100 to me or atleast very very close to one.
    X-Fusion Hilo is hydraulic with infinite position. The Specialized is mechanical with 3 preset position so they are completely different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Also, might want to try loosening your seat clamp first to make sure the clamp is not too tight, making the post bind.
    Good info, thanks! I think my seat clamp is OK because I was paranoid about overtightening it, but it won't hurt to double check it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

S-Works Officianados

I know this is not totally in-line with this thread, but I have a sweet, older, S-works team frame that just recently met its demise. Does anyone know about repairing M2 metal matrix frames? With significant cracks/breaks, is it garbage?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    Did my first ride with the Blacklite today, it was very solid, no play or slop that I could detect. This was my first time ever on a dropper seatpost, and all I can say is wow. . . I see what all the hype is about now. At the push of a button you have an ideal pedaling position, you can to drop it to the middle for mixed climbing and descending, and then all the way down for descending. I could see where infinite adjustablity would be good to have, because the middle position seems a wee bit low, but the trade-off of having the reassuring "clunk" you feel when it lock into place is worth it.

I did have one issue however, it moved up no problem from the bottom position to the middle position, but it didn't want to rise up from the middle to the top position. Most times, in order to get from the middle to the top, I would have to drop it all the way down first, and then let it rise two positions.

I checked the air pressure from the factory, and it was 40 PSI. The manual said the post is shipped with 25 psi, and the absolute maximum pressure is 40. When I installed the post, I dropped the pressure to 30 psi figuring that would be a good middle ground to start.

Are others having this problem, or is this something that will happen until the post gets a chance to break in? What PSI are people running? I am going to bump the air pressure up to 35 and see if that fixes it.
    1 of the below, or a combination of:

1. Air pressure too low. Perhaps you're getting an inaccurate reading. You might already know this, but you need to set the pressure with the post at full extension.
    2. Cable tension not high enough and not releasing the post collet all the way.
    3. Seatpost clamp too tight. This isn't as much of an issue I've found on the Command post though. It has thicker walls than the Reverb, etc. I've got a bolt-on clamp that's pretty damn tight and I haven't had issues.

I have managed to fix my seat clamp/saddle rotating issues with a bunch of carbon paste at all the interfaces. I like the post now, but still miss the Reverb and wish I could run it on this bike. This is the second best choice for me, but the best choice for my Pivot.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    I like the post now, but still miss the Reverb and wish I could run it on this bike. This is the second best choice for me, but the best choice for my Pivot.
    I really hate to read that
    I've just ordered a Blacklite from USA (and it wasn't easy because of Specialized dealer territory agreements) while I could get a Reverb locally in Chile. Based on what I've read here it seems to me that the command is more reliable, second best after GD.
    I hope I'm right, fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    I've just ordered a Blacklite from USA (and it wasn't easy because of Specialized dealer territory agreements) while I could get a Reverb locally in Chile. Based on what I've read here it seems to me that the command is more reliable, second best after GD.
    I just picked up a blacklite as well. Still sitting in the box waiting to find a little time to install it. I have been debating between the reverb and blacklite for close to a month. Finally decided to pull the trigger for something more reliable. It was $50 cheaper too ($275 vs $325). Plus, I couldnt find any place that had the new 2012 Reverb and I couldnt wait any longer.

I will post my review in a week or so once I get a few rides on the Blacklite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    You might be right. My Reverb is currently in for service. Even so, there's nothing that even comes close to the feel of the Reverb when it's working. It's so much easier to drop the post quickly before a tough section. I could push it with my pinky if I wanted to, and I can set it anywhere. The Command Post takes a bit more planning/effort, especially if you're trying to find that middle position. I'm comfortable dropping the Reverb in the middle of a steep, technical section. The Command Post I feel like I need to make sure to get it down before I enter it.

I like them both for different reasons, and while I do feel the Command Post might be more reliable in the long run, the Reverb is a Ferrari while the Command Post is a Ford truck.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I got my blacklight a month or so ago..... And I freaking love it!!!! Took my riding to a whole new level. It's quite amazing what being able to get your self lower on the bike because your seat isn't in the way can do for your confidence.

The fact that I got it at dealer pricing probably helped alot though.... Hahah

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1 of the below, or a combination of:

1. Air pressure too low. Perhaps you're getting an inaccurate reading. You might already know this, but you need to set the pressure with the post at full extension.
    2. Cable tension not high enough and not releasing the post collet all the way.
    3. Seatpost clamp too tight. This isn't as much of an issue I've found on the Command post though. It has thicker walls than the Reverb, etc. I've got a bolt-on clamp that's pretty damn tight and I haven't had issues.

I have managed to fix my seat clamp/saddle rotating issues with a bunch of carbon paste at all the interfaces. I like the post now, but still miss the Reverb and wish I could run it on this bike. This is the second best choice for me, but the best choice for my Pivot.
    Actually, I didn't know you had to set the pressure at full extension. (I just RTFM again, and now I see that part.) I can't remember what position the the post was at when I set it to 30. I pulled it off to check, and it was 40 psi at full extension. I dribbled a little chain lube on the inner tube, checked the cable tension, double checked the seatpost clamp, and cycled it several times. It will now move on its own from the middle top about 50% of the time (which is an improvement over the previous 0%). It seems to move on its own from position 2 to 3 more often when you quickly stab the lever as opposed to pressing it slowly. I haven't had a chance to go for another ride yet, but I think it'll start working better once it's broken in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog View Post
    Could someone who has installed one of the Blacklites post a photo of the lever / cable housing / barrel adjuster arrangement? I am putting one of the 100 mm versions on my bike and I'm questioning the arrangement near the lever. There is a long piece made of soft rubber that has me scratching my head - I don't see it in the instructions and can't figure where it's supposed to go. They also seem to have shorted me on ferrules.

Thanks.
    I just finished my installation and after running into this same issue, I gave Specialized customer service a call. They told me the soft rubber "missle" piece can be discarded. It was intended to be installed near the 90deg noodle but never worked well. Also, I was short a ferrule as well. I asked customer service and they are sending me (2) ferrules at no charge. I currently have a homemade ferrule in place where the cable meets the seat post. Its holding up but good to know Specialized is taking care of their customers.

mtbr member
    Looks nice. However, I think they may be a step behind KS and Rockshox. Both companies have some new innovative designs that look really good.

When the bike frame companies really start to have cable routing through the frame and have the routing of the posts totally hidden like Rockshox new models, then adjustable posts will be on most bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Looks nice. However, I think they may be a step behind KS and Rockshox. Both companies have some new innovative designs that look really good.

When the bike frame companies really start to have cable routing through the frame and have the routing of the posts totally hidden like Rockshox new models, then adjustable posts will be on most bikes.
    Sometimes, simple is better.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Keep on Rockin...
    GD vs. the Blacklite ?

I'm on the fence leaning toward the Blacklight (125 x 30.9) but looks like Spec is out. Anyone know where I can find one - a shop that would be willing to ship?

Had the GD for years as soon as they came out and really liked it and was going that way but I don't like the way the routing sticks out of the post.

I find that the ergonomics of the "lever" is pretty important. The GD level was OK - easy to push, but protruded pretty far from the bar making it prone to taking hits (though I never really did end up really damaging it.) The Blacklite switch seems far better in this regard as it's nicely tucked away - but, assuming its set up correctly, is it relatively easy to position on the bar and easy to push? The best post mechanism means little if the bar mounted lever is user un-friendly.

Thanks.

Keep on Rockin...
    Oh yeah, how 'bout the Rockshox Reverb? From what I hear it has major reliability issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    just about to order a Blacklight for my Mojo HD.
    been looking at either it or a KS, can get the Blacklight from my LBS which is reassuring

can't quite make my mind up......

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Judging by the reviews it sounds like there is no movement "play" issues with the seatpost. Unfortunately it appears my 100mm dropper I installed last night does. When in the middle dropper setting I have roughly 1/16" vertical play. The actual play isn't the issue to me it is the very audible clunk when you weight and unweight the post. Anybody have this issue?
    I am taking it for it first real ride now so I will see how big of an issue it is during trail riding. Likely be heading back to the bike shop where I bought it for their opinion.

Keep on Rockin...
    Play - as far as I've heard all of these posts will have some degree of "play". The GD is reportedly the worst. I had GDs way back when, and yes, there was play that was easily felt when moving the post by hand in the garage. On the trail I never felt it, or at least it was a non-issue. This is coming from someone who is driven absolutely nuts by the smallest creak, misalignment, or "play". The moment a DU bushing develops play I can feel it and have to change it - I have a tool and a stash of DU bushings. Point is, for what ever reason, the play in the GD (supposedly the worst) was never noticed out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After trying it on the trail it is not an issue. As mentioned earlier it was not the minimal play that bothered me but the noise. However on the trail any noise from the seat post is easily masked by drive train and the tires rolling over the ground.

I admit I can still hear the post "clunk" when riding on paved road but to achieve this means I need to drop my post to the middle position and then raise and lower my but off the seat and this is an abnormal situation.

BTW In comparison to my GD, that I rode for the last 5 years, this post is smoother and it is much easier to hit the middle position. The lever is nicer looking and easier to operate as well. I had no operational gripes with the GD and it was extremely dependable; the biggest reason I went to the blacklite was I needed a set back post for my new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
    Judging by the reviews it sounds like there is no movement "play" issues with the seatpost. Unfortunately it appears my 100mm dropper I installed last night does. When in the middle dropper setting I have roughly 1/16" vertical play. The actual play isn't the issue to me it is the very audible clunk when you weight and unweight the post. Anybody have this issue?
    I am taking it for it first real ride now so I will see how big of an issue it is during trail riding. Likely be heading back to the bike shop where I bought it for their opinion.
    I don't think it is normal to have any play and any noise in any position with the command post. My does not have any play at all once it is locked into position. The only sound I get is when the internal collet locks into position I get a click.
    Are u sure the cable is installed correctly? Too much tension in the cable might cause the collet to not lock completely and cause play and clunking. Otherwise you might have gotten a bad one and I would definitely take it back for exchange

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the feedback pwu_1. Cable is good and here is no tension on the cable when the lever is not being engaged. If it was a cable issue I would expect to have issues at the min and max setting as well, which I am not. I guess I will take it back to the bike shop and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Does anyone know if you can buy just the remote for this system?
    I have 2 bikes i want to use this post on, but i dont want to remove the whole system every time i want to switch bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Redley78 View Post
    Does anyone know if you can buy just the remote for this system?
    I have 2 bikes i want to use this post on, but i dont want to remove the whole system every time i want to switch bikes.
    I'm pretty sure you can. That is the whole point of the quick release system.

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You might be right. My Reverb is currently in for service. Even so, there's nothing that even comes close to the feel of the Reverb when it's working. It's so much easier to drop the post quickly before a tough section. I could push it with my pinky if I wanted to, and I can set it anywhere. The Command Post takes a bit more planning/effort, especially if you're trying to find that middle position. I'm comfortable dropping the Reverb in the middle of a steep, technical section. The Command Post I feel like I need to make sure to get it down before I enter it.

I like them both for different reasons, and while I do feel the Command Post might be more reliable in the long run, the Reverb is a Ferrari while the Command Post is a Ford truck.
    After two months with the Blacklite, and haven't tried a Reverb, it seems that now I fully understand your comments.
    I find myself dropping the blacklite before any steep/technical section cause I know I won't be able to drop it in the middle, and I blame the lever (a bit too hard to push) and the fact that I have to drop it until I feel the "click".
    That said, my Blacklite has been working flawlessly: it hasn't developed any play and feels absolutely rock solid. If it fails during an epic ride it's very likely that I'll be able of locking it in its higher position and keep going on. That adds lots of confidence, actually I trust my Blacklite as much as I trust my brakes or...my frame. Couldn't be happier with it

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast