Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    If it's not the tension in the cable, it's the post itself, I can guarantee it.
    Take it to a Spec. dealer and have it warrantied.
    No warranty unfortunately. So it's not user fixable? Oh well.
    I'll drop off it off at dealer to be fixed then.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anybody else find that activating the lever on the command post is difficult? I'm finding im having to apply quite a bit of deliberate pressure to the lever and concentrate on it that it means I'm half way down the hill before it drops. Need something you just touch intuitively really. Have seen the lever on Cubes which looks quite neat. Any suggestions?

Let the good times roll.
    Old cables and housing maybe? Mine gets a bit stiff when I've neglected my maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi, no its brand new. It just doesn't feel like a natural action to make. It need a deliberate long push with the thumb and really you'd just want to flick it in an instant

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Are you using the noodle? If so try taking it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    yes i am. ok thanks. will give it a go.

Let the good times roll.
    Oh, well I have no suggestions if it's new. Maybe ride it for a bit and see if you adapt. I personally would not like an instant flick activation. That could cause a nasty accident given how quickly the post slams up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Specialized Command Post Blacklite

With both of my command posts, there is a lot to be said for setting up the cable tension using the trim adjustment. That's where you dial in the activation threshold, whether it be instant, or deeper in the throw of the lever. Also notice there is a difference depending on where my butt is fore and aft on the saddle. There's a definite sweet spot that equates to seamless activation

mtbr member
    Yup, IMO the required lever throw and force to actuate lever are the achilles heel of the Blacklite post. Tried all kinds of things concerning the lever force (removing noodle, using different kinds of cable & housing combos, which helped somewhat, but I think these are the 2 biggest inherent design weaknesses (remote lever throw and force) of this post. Other than that it's a great remote dropper post and reliability (at least for my post) has been excellent with no issues in 1.5 years.

mtbr member
    Yep, great post, lame level.
    Another issue with the lever is that it does not fit well on the bar with mainstream shifters/brakes. I was looking for alternative levers from other posts, but they are hard to come by.
    Replacing the noodle with a straighter one (less curve) made it workable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The lever in my bike stays too far inside so its hard to reach with the thumb, I will probably have to get rid of the gear indicator in my shifter.

mtbr member
    Mine started to work again! Don't ask my why, probably the right sun/star/moon alignment + a favourable horoscope!

Geeeezus these dropper post are NOT the most reliable thing to come to mountain bikes. They all suck in one way or another. BUT once you ride with them you're *ucked. You have to have one all the time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anyone tried using a KS remote lever with the blacklite? I'm thinking of trying this to reduce interference with the front shifter, and I already use ODI grips. I usually run a 1x10 setup so interference isn't an issue, but occasionally I go back to 2x10 for very long rides with steep climbs.

Also, my post has been going strong for 1.5 years with no issues. I ride fairly hard and weigh 215 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchwagon View Post
    Has anyone tried using a KS remote lever with the blacklite? I'm thinking of trying this to reduce interference with the front shifter, and I already use ODI grips. I usually run a 1x10 setup so interference isn't an issue, but occasionally I go back to 2x10 for very long rides with steep climbs.

Also, my post has been going strong for 1.5 years with no issues. I ride fairly hard and weigh 215 lbs.
    I was considering trying this on my 1st edition command post, since it seems only a matter of time before the original lever/pivot will break. The KS lever though, was kind of expensive so I haven't taken the jump yet, and my original still works. In due time, in due time...

mtbr member
    Problem. I took mine apart for the first time today because the action wasn't smooth and everything seemed dry. While lubing up...hehe, I accidentally slid the seal collar all the way to the bottom of the post internals and now I can't get it slide back up. I had the white washer out and I think something is catching the lip at that spot. I feel like an idiot. Something is absolutely stopping it with force. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Name calling is perfectly acceptable along with suggestions.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Do you mean the collet (the part that expands and engages the 3 preset positions) has come out the bottom of the post? If this is the case, does the lever (at the top of the post) not allow the collet to retract? Again, if so, push up on the center part that slides inside the collet and see if that retracts it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    Do you mean the collet (the part that expands and engages the 3 preset positions) has come out the bottom of the post? If this is the case, does the lever (at the top of the post) not allow the collet to retract? Again, if so, push up on the center part that slides inside the collet and see if that retracts it.
    After thinking through what I posted, it's impossible for the collet to come out the bottom as long as it is still attached! D'oh!

Maybe conincidentally your internal cable just broke so you can't disengage the collet? My cable just broke two weeks ago and I could not change the height at all.

mtbr member
    First off, thanks for helping KThaxton.

I had a busy weekend with an engagement party to attend and other things going on. The issue I'm having has nothing to do with the collet. The collet is intact and so is the cable. The problem is with the collar wand the seals that you unscrew to actually take the post apart. I greased the inside of the post and slid that seal up and down to get it working smoothly. With my hands all greased up, I slipped and now the collar slid all the way to the bottom of the post. It won't come off completely because the collet won't let it.

But now it's stuck there. I can't get it to slide back up. And I'm pretty sure it's FUBAR. My last idea was to thread it back in the post in a padded vice. Then I clamped the lever down to retract the collet so it would be free to move, and I taped the top of the post with a mallet. Still won't budge. Whatever the seal is on the post, it's good. I can't get it to slide back up into position. I'm guess I have to send it off to Specialized to wait weeks on end and pay them to fix it. I'm debating on if it's actually worth it or not.

Specialized Command Post Blacklite-p4pb8292880-copy.jpg
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    First off, thanks for helping KThaxton.

I had a busy weekend with an engagement party to attend and other things going on. The issue I'm having has nothing to do with the collet. The collet is intact and so is the cable. The problem is with the collar wand the seals that you unscrew to actually take the post apart. I greased the inside of the post and slid that seal up and down to get it working smoothly. With my hands all greased up, I slipped and now the collar slid all the way to the bottom of the post. It won't come off completely because the collet won't let it.

But now it's stuck there. I can't get it to slide back up. And I'm pretty sure it's FUBAR. My last idea was to thread it back in the post in a padded vice. Then I clamped the lever down to retract the collet so it would be free to move, and I taped the top of the post with a mallet. Still won't budge. Whatever the seal is on the post, it's good. I can't get it to slide back up into position. I'm guess I have to send it off to Specialized to wait weeks on end and pay them to fix it. I'm debating on if it's actually worth it or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb8292880 copy.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	816261
    Sorry to say, I'm pretty sure you'll need to send that post in for service and new seal. I think the problem is that the tolerance for the seal is so tight that its basically stuck in that channel. Even if you manage to take the collet off the seal would still be stuck in that channel. I think you'll pretty much have to wreck the seal to get it out of the channel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Sorry to say, I'm pretty sure you'll need to send that post in for service and new seal. I think the problem is that the tolerance for the seal is so tight that its basically stuck in that channel. Even if you manage to take the collet off the seal would still be stuck in that channel. I think you'll pretty much have to wreck the seal to get it out of the channel.
    I was afraid of that. I'll bring it to my local shop and see if I can get a quote from Spesh. I just hope they don't want some ridiculous amount.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    While you had it apart, did you clean and relube? It's possible that some old, contaminated grease may be keeping the collets from fully locking into place. (pinkbike has a decent article on cleaning/relubing the blacklite: Tech Tuesday - Specialized Command Post Blacklite Maintenance - Pinkbike)

Aside from that, the post itself might not be fully extending, prohibiting the collets from fully locking in. You could try physically pulling up on the saddle before a steep climb to see if it's possible to get a fuller extension and eliminate the slipping. If so, you might just add air pressure to ensure full extension, and/or clean and relube to minimize friction and allow the post to come all the way up.

mtbr member

Specialized Command Post Blacklite

I did the same thing. I was able to force it back up the post. It just takes quite a bit of force.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    While you had it apart, did you clean and relube? It's possible that some old, contaminated grease may be keeping the collets from fully locking into place. (pinkbike has a decent article on cleaning/relubing the blacklite: Tech Tuesday - Specialized Command Post Blacklite Maintenance - Pinkbike)

Aside from that, the post itself might not be fully extending, prohibiting the collets from fully locking in. You could try physically pulling up on the saddle before a steep climb to see if it's possible to get a fuller extension and eliminate the slipping. If so, you might just add air pressure to ensure full extension, and/or clean and relube to minimize friction and allow the post to come all the way up.
    I can't even get the post back together. It didn't slip down while I was riding or anything. I had it apart and was cleaning it up. The collar and seal that the first arrow is pointing to (i.e. 'This') slipped down the exposed post and is stuck in the channel that the white split bushing sits in.

The reason I had it apart was because it wasn't extending without some help now and again. I thought I might have the dreaded broken collet, but turns out the seal was dry and sticky.

I think when I go home tonight I'm going to set a trap for Murphy. Bastard has been living in my basement for a while now.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I did the same thing. I was able to force it back up the post. It just takes quite a bit of force.
    Really? I was afraid to hit it too hard with anything. And I definitely don't have the hand strength to do it. Care to elaborate?
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ahhh, I see. I wasn't sure what you meant by "collar", I assumed you mean "collet". So earlier you said you have the "white washer" out, did you mean the white bushing that is near where the collar is now stuck? If so, my guess is that it that the internal seal on the collar is caught in that channel and it is probably a pretty rigid seal and therefore hard to get to slip over the lip. I'd try to get some oil down in the seal to make it as slippery as possible and just keep trying to work it (gently rocking it) back and forth to get one lip over then the next.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast