Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Got mine back from warranty and its working again.
    Although, now I'm getting some accidental drops from full up to the cruiser position.
    Only seems to happen when I'm climbing which is really annoying. Hopefully that
    goes away with some more use.

mtbr member

New post/newb owner--is something wrong?

I just received a 2012 Blacklite post from a seller on Craigslist.

The dropper portion of the post is all the way down--flush against the collar of the "outside" post. Actuating the release lever, does nothing--the post doesn't pop up at all. I checked the air pressure and it was ~20 psi, as manual states. I pumped it to 30-35 with no results.

I'm completely new to these posts, so it's quite possible I'm missing something simple--I hope so.

One other thing I noticed is that the volume of air in the post seems to be tiny. One pump on a floor pump gets it to 20 psi and another 1/2 pump (or less) get it to 30+. Is that normal?

Conversely, just attaching a pressure guage to get a reading can release all the air out and it's back to 0.

I'm worried that the seals or something in the air chamber aren't working properly.

Seller is an employee of a bike shop/Specialized dealer and the shop says they'll stand behind it if something's wrong. I'd rather have it working, but if it's damaged, then I need to get on them ASAP.

TIA for any pointers.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post

The dropper portion of the post is all the way down--flush against the collar of the "outside" post. Actuating the release lever, does nothing--the post doesn't pop up at all. I checked the air pressure and it was ~20 psi, as manual states. I pumped it to 30-35 with no results.

I'm completely new to these posts, so it's quite possible I'm missing something simple--I hope so.

One other thing I noticed is that the volume of air in the post seems to be tiny. One pump on a floor pump gets it to 20 psi and another 1/2 pump (or less) get it to 30+. Is that normal?

Conversely, just attaching a pressure guage to get a reading can release all the air out and it's back to 0.

I'm worried that the seals or something in the air chamber aren't working properly.

Seller is an employee of a bike shop/Specialized dealer and the shop says they'll stand behind it if something's wrong. I'd rather have it working, but if it's damaged, then I need to get on them ASAP.

TIA for any pointers.
    I think you need to check the pressure with the post all the way extended. When the post is collapsed like that I would imagine the pressure to be much higher than 30psi due to the reduction in volume.
    See if you can activate the lever and then manually pull the post all the way up. Then air it up to 20-30 psi and see if the post works normally.

Although on the post I got I didn't have to mess with the air pressure at all when new. I just installed it and it pop'ed up once I hit the lever

mtbr member
    You may need more pressure. The 40 psi max is with the seat at full height.
    With it down all the way the pressure will be higher. I don't know the number,
    but higher. I'd pump it up to 50 and depress the release and see if it doesn't
    pop up at that point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

TIA for any pointers.
    Use a shock pump for the seatpost. You're probably losing almost all the air pressure in the post when you disconnect the floor pump because the hose in the floor pump is so long. I would also suggest brining the post in to the actual bike shop that the seller works at if you have any other issues. Like you said, probably something simple that you're missing.

Let the good times roll.

TIA for any pointers.
    Use a shock pump. Do not put more air than recommended because that will break the seatpost over time from excessively strong top-out. It will also feel like an ejection seat when it pops up. Ouch.

Can you release the lever and extend the post manually? You should be able to. If not, something is wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Yo has anybody performed the "COLD WEATHER" mods for the Blacklite. Mine is almost useless in cold temps. But once inside the bike room and normal temps, it works super good again. Temperamental seatpost I tell you!! They should make a 'canadian' version tuned for cold weather out of the box.

Help a brother out!

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Yo has anybody performed the "COLD WEATHER" mods for the Blacklite. Mine is almost useless in cold temps. But once inside the bike room and normal temps, it works super good again. Temperamental seatpost I tell you!! They should make a 'canadian' version tuned for cold weather out of the box.

Help a brother out!
    I haven't tried it yet, but the cold weather mod just means using a lighter lube. Stock lube some kind of grease. Swap that for oil. Just make sure it's compatible with the seals. A heavier weight suspension oil might work, but double check with Specialized to see what they recommend. Call the number on their website.

Overhaul instructions so you can do it yourself...

Tech Tuesday - Specialized Command Post Blacklite Maintenance by mikelevy - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Help a brother out!
    I'm kind of curious too. My original command post would get slow in the cold too. Now my blacklite is showing that behavior too. I used to just put a bit of triflow on the seals with my old one and that would speed things up for awhile but thinking I should do the legit cold weather tune this time around.

Just curious why they wouldn't just do the cold weather tune out of the box? What happens when it gets warm again? Super duper fast ejection-seat action??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone set their's up with just straight cable without the adjuster in it?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just curious, how do you other guys with the blacklite clamp your bike to a repair stand? Do you clamp it on To the part of the post that moves up and down or to the bottom part?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Just curious, how do you other guys with the blacklite clamp your bike to a repair stand? Do you clamp it on To the part of the post that moves up and down or to the bottom part?
    Bottom part always. Don't want to damage the shaft.
    Juice

Let the good times roll.
    Never clamp anything to the stanchion. Scratch that, and there goes your post...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Unless you are at a Specialized demo day. I was shocked when they continually clamped to the stanchion every time a bike was brought in to change over for a new person. Made sense after awhile as they were just trying to get more people through the demo as possible and they didnt care about the state of the bikes. I was amazed that the posts kept working as well as they did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Command Post Cold Weather Setup Directions

Been looking for the cold weather setup for the Command Post for a while and I finally found it. I was really beginning to think I just wasn't out there. Just in case anybody needs it, here's the link:

http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...0208A_revA.pdf

Anybody have any suggestions for a good, inexpensive for oil for this application?

Thanks
    Bryan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    Use a shock pump for the seatpost. You're probably losing almost all the air pressure in the post when you disconnect the floor pump because the hose in the floor pump is so long. I would also suggest brining the post in to the actual bike shop that the seller works at if you have any other issues. Like you said, probably something simple that you're missing.
    Update: I was able to release the post using a shock pump instead of the floor pump. I took it to a local Specialized shop to have it checked out and ended up having them install it there. Working fine!

Thanks for the tips.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailjunkee View Post
    Been looking for the cold weather setup for the Command Post for a while and I finally found it. I was really beginning to think I just wasn't out there. Just in case anybody needs it, here's the link:

http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...0208A_revA.pdf

Anybody have any suggestions for a good, inexpensive for oil for this application?

Thanks
    Bryan
    I know you are probably looking for something cheaper than the belray 10wt oil, but i have used belray on everything on my bike with no issues. I know they sell silicone shock oils for like 3 bucks for a small bottle..but the 15 dollar 1 liter belray 10 wt is like 15 bucks... Which should last a long time between builds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse101 View Post
    I know you are probably looking for something cheaper than the belray 10wt oil, but i have used belray on everything on my bike with no issues. I know they sell silicone shock oils for like 3 bucks for a small bottle..but the 15 dollar 1 liter belray 10 wt is like 15 bucks... Which should last a long time between builds.
    Thanks Jesse. $15 looks ok to me. I hope this winter to do a refresh on my fork anyway so it would be good to have around. Are you sourcing your oil online or from a local shop? If it's online where are you getting it? Looks like Amazon's got a good price on it but shipping's pretty high since they don't sell it directly. Might head out to a moto shop to she what they've got this weekend.

Thanks again!

JDM
    mtbr member
    If you can do this mod then you can work on your own fork. Just buy the fork oil from your local motoshop. Your $15 will get you through your next 5 to 10 oil changes in your fork too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got mine through my local harley davidson dealership for 15.99. And its pretty easy to rebuild..i am also looking to rebuild my revelation fork over the winter and shortening my cables. But i am debating to send my fork to push ind or get it done myself...choices choices lol

mtbr member
    I also have the "cold weather" slow down (up) effect. I just spray a little WD-40 on a rag and rub/clean the upper part of the post, leaving no residue, seems to work just fine for a couple cold rides in a row.

I bought mine new from a member here 12 months ago, set it up and have yet to have any issues with it (other than the slow down when cold). I ride 3-4 times per week 10-20 miles per ride, with multiple post use.

mtbr member
    From another thread, do any of you have issues with the force required to press the lever? If so, any solutions that work well?
    Also, are you using the Spesh grips w/ integral lever? If so, any issues with the grips so far?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    From another thread, do any of you have issues with the force required to press the lever? If so, any solutions that work well?
    Also, are you using the Spesh grips w/ integral lever? If so, any issues with the grips so far?
    Are you using the noodle that came with the post? Its the silver 90 degree bend piece.
    I originally had my post installed with the noodle and after a while it seemed like it got harder and harder to push the lever.
    Finally, I checked the cable and noticed it was getting a little bit rusty. Got a new cable and it was better but still kind of hard to push. Finally, I removed the noodle and the lever is much much easier to push now.

mtbr member
    Are you using the noodle that came with the post? Its the silver 90 degree bend piece.
    I originally had my post installed with the noodle and after a while it seemed like it got harder and harder to push the lever.
    Finally, I checked the cable and noticed it was getting a little bit rusty. Got a new cable and it was better but still kind of hard to push. Finally, I removed the noodle and the lever is much much easier to push now.
    I think your experience is like most, the noodle is the culprit. I think I'll pack it with a dry lube prior to using first time.

mtbr member

Accidental drops from full up to cruiser or lowest position while climbing

Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Got mine back from warranty and its working again.
    Although, now I'm getting some accidental drops from full up to the cruiser position.
    Only seems to happen when I'm climbing which is really annoying
    . Hopefully that
    goes away with some more use.
    I am now experiencing exactly the same problem. Happens about 1-3 time per ride and only while climbing steep stuff where I am scooted more forward on the saddle. Does anybody know why this happens and what the resolution is?

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast