mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Spec for my build.

Hi, just wrote down a rough list of the stuff I need to get for the coiler frame. Unfortunately I only have about 5% of it but its nice to get new things, I'll just have to work hard to earn them. Anyway:

Fork: RS Pike 426 U-turn.
    Brakes: XT with dual control levers, splined discs.
    Wheels: XT splined hubs on Mavic XM317's.(Might be getting stronger rims).
    Deraileurs: XT front and rear.
    Cassette: XT.
    Crankset: XT Hollowtech 2.
    Stem/Bars/Post: Easton EA50

I am undecided on pedals - I have never ridden with clipless, so I will probably go for some lightweight flats, not too chunky. Any ideas?? And I am also stuck with putting a chainguide on or not. I think I'll buy the crankset then decide. If I do get one it would be an e13 DRS without a doubt.

I'd be glad to see what you think, is it ok for a weekend AM rider? Anything you wouldn't recommend?
    Cheers,
    Graham

mtbr member
    If not too chunky is high on your list of pedal priorities, consider the Atomlab Trailpimp pedals.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]Täglich drei Millionen Leser der Kronenzeitung abzulehnen, ist ein Zeichen tiefster moralischer Verkommenheit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I hate dual control levers on mountain bikes, but that's just personal preference. Have you actually tried them?

I'd invest in some stronger rims. XM819 perhaps, also gives you the choice of tube or tubeless.

The rest of your build sounds sensible. The XT crankset in particular is an absolute bargain.

Pedals - I'd suggest Crankbrothers Mallets. Best of both worlds. Use them as a platform or clipless.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    I hate dual control levers on mountain bikes, but that's just personal preference. Have you actually tried them?

I'd invest in some stronger rims. XM819 perhaps, also gives you the choice of tube or tubeless.

The rest of your build sounds sensible. The XT crankset in particular is an absolute bargain.

Pedals - I'd suggest Crankbrothers Mallets. Best of both worlds. Use them as a platform or clipless.
    Yea what he said.

I have a buddy that uses the Mallets without the spacers on the cleats and he likes that it is harder to engage the shoe into the pedal. So he can ride them like it's a flat for tech sections.
    Team MOJO Wheels.