Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

SPD's or flat pedals?

What do you use on your "All Mountain" bike?

I used to use SPD's or clipless pedals but since coming back to mountain biking I have used flat pedals.

My latest bike came with a pair of Shimano SPD pedals, which I replaced with some DMR's

But I was wondering, what is the current thinking on this? Should I be trying out the SPD's?

mtbr member
    I run flats, but I also tend to dab and drop a foot if needed, as well as finding that I adjust my feet multiple times. I also fall a lot lol and I don't want to be strapped in to a tumbling bike. I'd rather ditch it if possible.

I've also never tried clipless, so no comment there. I think it really comes down to what youre comfortable pedaling.

mtbr member
    It is not that l cannot decide, or am torn between the two.
    I was just wondering what other people are using. I have been out of the sport for over a decade.

mtbr member
    i dont have an AM bike but i have these and love em. ive smacked them a few times, but theyre still running perfect. got them from Amazon for around $70

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPD's or flat pedals?-shimano-saint-mx80.jpg  

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Flats, been back and forth many times but always much happier and faster on flats.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    When I clip in, I'm on Time XC6 pedals (I like the range of motion for my knees and, unlike Eggbeaters, when I whap a rock, I don't pop out). When not, I'm on Spank Spikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    SPDs. I don't like to think about keeping my feet on the pedals. I've gotten so used to them it feels weird if I'm ever on flats. Plus, when I'm clipped in and attempting something difficult, I tend to commit a little bit more and try hard to pull it off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Clips - Crank Bros Mallets for me. I tried flats for a month and couldnt find any real benefit so I just stick with what I know.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    "Plus, when I'm clipped in and attempting something difficult, I tend to commit a little bit more and try hard to pull it off"

i do that with platforms, because if it screw up, ill probably look like my legs got attacked by a shark, lol
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I like the spds, but hate the shoes. Have never found a pair that fit my wide feet very well. Sticking to flats for now. I do miss tipping over to read the trail sign after forgetting to unclick my spds.

mtbr member
    I was debating once then i went to a MTB clinic and the instructor couldn't tell the students in his class with flats how to clear the rear tire over a fallen log. I had to show them.

Sent from my skz_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixnr View Post
    I was debating once then i went to a MTB clinic and the instructor couldn't tell the students in his class with flats how to clear the rear tire over a fallen log. I had to show them.
    This.

Flats FTW. Helps with confidence, as well as learning proper technique. I can pull up with flats. The only thing I can't do on flats is single leg pedaling drills. Rode a mix of clipless and flats for a few years--much happier and having much more fun (which is the important part) on flats.

Switched to flats permanently after ACL reconstruction a couple of years ago. Doc said stay off the clipless.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    This.

Flats FTW. Helps with confidence, as well as learning proper technique. I can pull up with flats.
    Pretty sure you can't and you use your upper body/arms to do it. The thing is, you can do the same with clipless, you just don't have to either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.
    I will stick with flats for now, as l seem to be doing fine with them.

I need to get some decent shoes though, my local bike superstore sold me a pair of Shimano spd compatible shoes yesterday, claiming they would be "fine with flat pedals"

They are useless lol. The soles are too shaped/hard and they slip around on the pedals, there is no feel, in fact my feet nearly came off the pedals a few times.

So you can see how much l know. I am taking them back today and will get a pair of flat soled trainers instead.

mtbr member
    5.10s are the best platform shoe available. You will not be disappointed, don't buy running shoes to bike in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have 2 bikes, one with flats and one with spds. I like them both. Flats are more versatile for me as I can ride with kids to the playground, and still go mountain biking. Spds allow me to make tougher climbs. As far as technical sections, I would call it a draw. SPD- you are committed once you go (and ussually end up making it) and with flats its easier to bail/quite but it may end up giving more confidence because of the foot adjustment/bail out factor. Also, if you have had knee issues (I did) , it is much easier to find a comfortable foot position on the pedal. Like I said, i like and use both.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Pretty sure you can't and you use your upper body/arms to do it. The thing is, you can do the same with clipless, you just don't have to either.
    Proper technique is proper technique, regardless of your pedal choice. The difference is you're not going to get far with flats unless you learn proper technique while you can cheat to a certain extent with clipless. If you learn to hop obstacles by lifting the bike up with your feet while they're clipped in, you're ultimately limiting how far your skills will progress due to bad technique. If you take the time to learn how to do it right, your pedal preference doesn't matter.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Like I said, i like and use both.
    Me too. It is not necessary to get into one camp or the other, as so many people want to do. And you don't need 2 bikes either. I swap my pedals according to my knowledge of the upcoming ride.

- Lots of walking sections, or techy or switchbacks where I might need to put a foot down frequently, or riding in town= Flats.

- Cruising, dirt roads, smooth flowy singletrack, long, in the saddle climbs where I need every bit of efficiency = clipless.

It takes less than a minute to swap pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Me too. It is not necessary to get into one camp or the other, as so many people want to do. And you don't need 2 bikes either. I swap my pedals according to my knowledge of the upcoming ride.

- Lots of walking sections, or techy or switchbacks where I might need to put a foot down frequently, or riding in town= Flats.

- Cruising, dirt roads, smooth flowy singletrack, long, in the saddle climbs where I need every bit of efficiency = clipless.

It takes less than a minute to swap pedals.
    ^^ This (for me anyway). That said, I almost never ride SPDs as the second choice isn't very common where I ride.

And my legs DO look like the victim of shark attacks because my trails have stuff I attempt with full fervor but often fail at. I guess I should probably wear my shin guards.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Clipless all the time for everything. I take a bad spill every few rides and never stay clipped in. I also prefer to go as fast as possible when I ride. If you ask me, there is a reason literally every professional XC racer and a large percentage of enduro riders are clipped in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Buy some flats and a pair of five ten shoes and you will never want to go spd again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by petpol9 View Post
    Buy some flats and a pair of five ten shoes and you will never want to go spd again!
    Funny you would say that because I literally bought flats and a pair of five ten shoes to see if they could compare at all to clipless and sold both the flats and shoes within a week... if flats and five ten shoes were as efficient as SPD they would use them in XC racings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    This.

Flats FTW. Helps with confidence, as well as learning proper technique. I can pull up with flats. The only thing I can't do on flats is single leg pedaling drills. Rode a mix of clipless and flats for a few years--much happier and having much more fun (which is the important part) on flats.

Switched to flats permanently after ACL reconstruction a couple of years ago. Doc said stay off the clipless.
    Did doctor really say that?
    Because this year I got back into riding after knee surgery and always road with SPD pedals, but after awhile I noticed my knee aching. Switched to some flats and no longer have the pain. I figured it was the pulling up motion that was doing it
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    That might have contributed to my knee problems when l used to ride with SPD's.

Since starting again l have used flats and have had no problems with my knees, but l also used to ride with the saddle a bit lower than optimum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast