mtbr member

SPD Shoe comparison: Specialized Rime or Shimano M162 for trail shoe?

Anybody have experience with both of these shoes?

Looking to get something a little more trail and give clipless another shot in the mountains. Been running Sidi Dom5s on my cross bike forever but cant stand the way the Sidis feel on hike a bike sections so I tend to stick to the flats and five tens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

No experience with the shimanos but I have a set of the rimes and really like them. Good support and a stiff but not too stiff sole.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I really like the Shimano's from this year. Carbon sole, toe box and heal rubberized protection from scuff and turning my outer toe and foot into one big bruise! With the cleats removed they walk nicely, haven't done a lot of hike a bike but not worried about slippin on my @ss or scratching my ~$200 either.
    Shimano SH-M240 MTB Shoe at BikeTiresDirect

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Have you tried both brands on? When I bought my last shoe, I tried on everything I could find and specialized fit my foot the best. A little on the pricey side but worth every penny. I was torn between the pro and the rimes, but ended up going with the pro for the stiffer sole. No regrets. The rimes would be more suitable for someone who spends time walking off the bike...or doesn't care for an extremely stiff sole. Plus they look better and easier to walk around in if you need to stop at the store or what not. Not familiar with the shimano shoe your looking at tho.

If your buying them blind, make sure you keep in mind the differences in sizes. I had to go a few sizes smaller in specialized, then previous shimano shoes I've owned. Luckily my dealer was nice enough to bring in several sizes for me. I would have definitely chosen the wrong size if I didn't get a chance to try them all on first. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I've tried both. I think the Shimano is more like a beefy XC shoe and the Rime is a little closer to a Five Ten style shoe. That's not to say there is a big difference in stiffness, but the Shimano has a little bit stiffer sole that is shaped like an XC shoe (and the placement of the grippy rubber on the bottom is in about the same places as any SPD style shoe) and the Rime has a stickier sole (with a Vibram rubber sole that has a greater surface area on the bottom of the shoe than the Shimano) that, in my opinion, is better for a secure landing when getting off the bike in a hurry after trying that super technical section. I guess the 'better' shoe depends on what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just recently bought the Rimes. It is my first SPD shoe so I can't compare it to another. However, in regards to sizing, I wear a size 10 in mens normally. According to Specialized sizing, I should be wearing a size 43.5 (equivalent to size 10.25.) Those were very tight for me. The next size up 44 (10.6) felt perfect.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker831 View Post
    No experience with the shimanos but I have a set of the rimes and really like them. Good support and a stiff but not too stiff sole.
    I echo this this. Only experience with Rimes, and like them a lot, but Specialized shoes and I get along great, so I had a feeling I'd like them before I got them. They give me good grip on wet stuff up here in the PNW when off bike, so I love that. If you'll need to do some hike-a-bike, the Rime's are a great choice, without giving up much pedal power. Weigh more (and aren't as stiff) than the S-Works shoes they 'replaced' but I don't feel it pedaling the bike. I didn't know this when I got them, but the Rime's breath well. REAL well. If you need them to do any winter work, they might not be the best option. However, in hotter weather, they should be awesome.