Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

sovereign versus stylus

im in two minds, ive been planning to build a hardcore hardtail for a few weeks now i have two specs and dont know which to build.

ive got an intense tracer that i use for light freeride and downhill.

im trying to build a hardtail for the same purposes, so i can train on it, but stuck on which way to go.

ive attached both specs.

any opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sovereign versus stylus-bike2.png  

Is that Bill rated?
    Why the different forks?
    Well, it was a good try.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
    Why the different forks?

NM answered my own question
    No moss...

mtbr member
    optimizing each frames performance at speed

local trails rider
    There's small differences in geometry: seat tube length (current Stylus seems to be lower), BB height (I think Stylus is a little lower), adjustable dropouts on Sovereign (which can be good or bad).

Any of those matter to you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    There's small differences in geometry: seat tube length (current Stylus seems to be lower), BB height (I think Stylus is a little lower), adjustable dropouts on Sovereign (which can be good or bad).

Any of those matter to you?
    The dropouts wont make a difference, the stand over height should be fine on both i think.

local trails rider
    Judging by your weight numbers, there's more metal on the Stylus. I don't know if that means it is stronger or if it has more metal than it needs to...

Chromag says 6.6lbs. Where did you find the Sovereign weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Judging by your weight numbers, there's more metal on the Stylus. I don't know if that means it is stronger or if it has more metal than it needs to...

Chromag says 6.6lbs. Where did you find the Sovereign weight?
    I think the chromag will be as strong as the sovereign, but its hard to say which is out and out toughest. Of the two companies, Chromag seem more confident in terms of abuse factor.

Cant remember where i got the weight of the sovereign, thought it was here:

http://www.evil-bikes.com/#/undefine...022/Sovereigns

but couldnt see it this time.

mtbr member
    i doubt id switch my mind, but there are alternatives i guess:

Banshee Morphine
    Chromag Sakura
    Chromag Samurai
    Chromag TRL
    Chumba HX1
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cove Stiffee
    Dekerf Implant
    Dialled Alpine
    Dialled Prince Albert
    DMR Ex[alt]
    DMR Trailstar
    Evil Sovereign
    Genesis Alptitude
    Kona Five-O
    Lumberjack Rented Mule
    NS Society
    NS Surge
    On-One 456/Summer Season
    Orange P7
    Ragley Blue Pig
    Ragley mmmBop
    Ragley Ti
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Sinister Ridge
    Soul Cycles Icon
    Surly Instigator
    Transition TransAM
    Transition Vagrant

mtbr member
    I prefer the Stylus, but I am biased...

For me, the geo/fit was dead on for what I was looking for.

I run a talas 36, and normally ride in 130mm mode for most stuff. I prefer the 1.5" rise bars for this, but in 160mm mode I think the low rise will be perfect.

The Sovereign was high on my list, but much harder to find when I was looking, so it never really was a serious contender, and most of the others didnt have the numbers I was looking for.

I dont know how you feel about buying from an individual, but if saving a few bucks will help make the decision easier:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/587292/

Not mine, not related, and no idea who the person is. Just found it a bit back.

Best of luck!

mtbr member
    they actually look very similar....what year and what size is yours?

mtbr member
    I looked at the Stylus, TransAm and Sov. I ended up choosing the Sov based on availability, price and it comes in my favorite color flat black. Gabe from Evil was a stud to work with too.

The Stylus comes with the highest price tag that I could find and the transAm came with the best but seemed less burley to me (personal feeling- its on my radar for my next hardtail). the Sov was right in the middle- its a tad short in the top tube for my personal liking but its lazer beam focused in the tight stuff.

If you get the Stylus I want to see some pics for sure it was my first choice until the price killed it for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr
    they actually look very similar....what year and what size is yours?
    That is an 2007 or 2008 in large - 23.5 top tube.

They changed graphics and colors at some point, but I dont know when or what year...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf
    I looked at the Stylus, TransAm and Sov. I ended up choosing the Sov based on availability, price and it comes in my favorite color flat black. Gabe from Evil was a stud to work with too.

The Stylus comes with the highest price tag that I could find and the transAm came with the best but seemed less burley to me (personal feeling- its on my radar for my next hardtail). the Sov was right in the middle- its a tad short in the top tube for my personal liking but its lazer beam focused in the tight stuff.

If you get the Stylus I want to see some pics for sure it was my first choice until the price killed it for me.
    Why would you pick the TransAM over either of these bikes...surely its a weight only thing?

mtbr member
    Why would you pick the TransAM over either of these bikes...surely its a weight only thing?
    Yup and length of top tube- but I had to stay as burly as possible I'm big guy and just normal trail riding can get abussive. So Sov or Stylus- after checking with my bank account it was the Sov. Thats why the TransAm is in for my next build lighter weight trail bike - but I love with all of these frames you can ride the longer travel forks with little penalty.

mtbr member
    but I love with all of these frames you can ride the longer travel forks with little penalty.
    I disagree about the "little" penalty...plus you have void warranty problems.

mtbr member
    I disagree about the "little" penalty...plus you have void warranty problems.
    Really? I talked to Gabe at Evil about eventually running 160 on mine and there was no problem with that. I currently run the Manitou Nixon 145 which is a tall fork anyways and no problem. And its not a great climber but it climbs well enough in all but the steep technical stuff- and comes down the mountain like a bat out of hell.

Maybe by longer you are thinking longer than 160- I wonder what 180 would do to the ride?

mtbr member
    Really? I talked to Gabe at Evil about eventually running 160 on mine and there was no problem with that. I currently run the Manitou Nixon 145 which is a tall fork anyways and no problem. And its not a great climber but it climbs well enough in all but the steep technical stuff- and comes down the mountain like a bat out of hell.

Maybe by longer you are thinking longer than 160- I wonder what 180 would do to the ride?
    ok, cool, cheers for that, but 180 might be pushing it (uphill anyway )

mtbr member
    im done. chromag stylus it is. will need to wait for the talas 160/120s. post it when its finished though.

mtbr member
    Cool- when I talked to the guys at Chromag I really wanted the Stylus but man I just didnt have the $$$$- 36Talas also nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Defeats the object but i would like a rigid forked singlespeed stylus.Burly brown singlespeed.mmm.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE
    Defeats the object but i would like a rigid forked singlespeed stylus.Burly brown singlespeed.mmm.
    What object is that?

I don't need another bike now: I have a couple of burly SS hardtails but I think I'd enjoy some rides on a burly rigid SS bike. Using a BB mounted tensioner for SS looks like a great idea to me, so ISCG tabs on the frame would be nice...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Although not a Stylus, I had an older TRL that I rode a while back before selling it and switching to a full squish. The angles were right on the money when using a 140mm fork. It climbed and descended well, stable at speed whilst nimble on the more technical stuff. Quality of the welds, paint work and overall durability were right up there. Missing the feel of a steel hardtail, I parted ways with the oingo poingo once the 2009 Sovereign was released and snapped one up. I'm very satisfied with the Sov purchase. You can't go wrong either way IMO. Definitely splash the pics once built up. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What i meant was that wasnt what chromag had in mind when they designed the Stylus.Suspension forks and tough hardtails are the norm these days.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE
    What i meant was that wasnt what chromag had in mind when they designed the Stylus.
    Sure. But. If the geometry numbers on the Chromag site are correct, short forks work too.

They design steel frames that are hard to break. If you put a suspension corrected rigid fork on a Chromag, you still have a steel bike that is hard to break

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast